Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am one of those folks who was hanging on for a M3 but got sold into a MS60. Price was right ( a mear $50K) , timing was perfect (now). I now drive it with incredible pride of ownership - however.
Within days of getting my car, they discontinued the color (just made it under the wire)
Within days, they announced AP2 hardware (oh, if only I had waited just a few days and got to the other side of the wire).
Several months later - I see my autopilot remains more advanced than what I could have bought.

Why did they make the offer of a 60 battery? I got a 75 at a $10,000 discount. [could it really be true that many M60 buyers are upgrading to 75 functions]
There are so many levels of decisions - clear inventory of obsolete paint; clear inventory of AP1 cars; boost end of Q3 sales; convert M3 reservation holders into MS owners.

Are they giving good customer service? are they "manipulating" their buyers (like me). Are they playing a great game of chess?

I am happy with my purchase, glad I jumped in when I did. would also have been happy if I delayed the decision. [now that I said that, I don't believe it-- I am too happy now and can't see me being this happy if I was still driving my old sled.]

My advice - jump when you are ready, don't wait for a greener pasture - it will always be greener tomorrow and you may miss the boat (or simply DIE) while waiting.

Margins aren't hurting, but if they have enough demand to sell every 60 as a 75 then why not? The monthly warning is to not piss off any customers that were currently shopping or considering a 60. Just a customer friendly way to do it.

Sorry but with @Spidy's additional confirmation above the 60s must take delivery in Q2, I call BS on any other reasons than boosting Q2 sales.

Clearly this is a move to rush the 60 into a demand lever for Q2.

Tesla has used many such euphimisms to hide their quarterly shenanigans before. Believing them is IMO no longer really an option. Reality is too clear to see: they are again playing the quarterly sales game.

Last edited:
I believe it was meant to be 'tongue in cheek' (sarcasm) that was not directed at anyone in particular.

No not sarcasm. AP2 hardware is a current demand driver. AP2 software is a demand diminisher. What will be the status of AP2 in Q3 and Q4?

The selling price of mobileye to intel suggests a lot of self drive capability has left Tesla. A major reason to buy a Tesla was preeminent self drive capability.

To me it's simple... They introduced 60 last year to draw in 3 reservation holders to fill up the demand gap they had when they came out fro Model X production hell. Now those 3 reservation holders are drained up, natural demand for higher end S and X has caught up with production. So they dropped 60. Mission completed.

Close but not quite.

Tesla still needs to motivate a last batch of "60" buyers to beef up their Q2 numbers.

This is done by giving just enough extra time for orders to be able to deliver them to most places within Q2 - and demanding customers take delivery in Q2 as has been reported. April 16th + 14 day international confirmation window leaves Tesla two months to deliver the cars within Q2.

Mission completed at end of Q2. In Q3, Model 3 starts shipping.

Games.

Reactions: neroden
I'm sticking with product differentiation between Model S and 3. It will improve margins for both products.
Low end model S buyers will move up to 75, or option up on model 3. It also improves the brand value of both products.

That is likely part of it. The other part is, they don't need the Model S volumes as much after Model 3 starts shipping. By then they'd rather focus on Model 3. In Q2 they still need artificial levers to shore up demand.

Reactions: neroden
Close but not quite.

Tesla still needs to motivate a last batch of "60" buyers to beef up their Q2 numbers.

This is done by giving just enough extra time for orders to be able to deliver them to most places within Q2 - and demanding customers take delivery in Q2 as has been reported. April 16th + 14 day international confirmation window leaves Tesla two months to deliver the cars within Q2.

Mission completed at end of Q2. In Q3, Model 3 starts shipping.

Games.
I wouldn't blame if they want to squeeze out the last bit of juice. Why not?

If you download the Tesla app to your iPhone then you can sync your calendars via that app
I have been able to connect my i-phone "tesla"app to my MS - but only from my driveway where it is connected thru my wi-fi. While away from home base, I can't get Tesla app to connect. Screen says "reconnect" but does not. Any body know a setting or workaround to get it to work?

I have been able to connect my i-phone "tesla"app to my MS - but only from my driveway where it is connected thru my wi-fi. While away from home base, I can't get Tesla app to connect. Screen says "reconnect" but does not. Any body know a setting or workaround to get it to work?

Do you have your 'cellular data' turned on in the iPhone?

Interesting predictions on the demand for Model 3 options ...
Tesla Model 3: Autopilot is most popular option among reservation holders and 58% want a battery upgrade

screen-shot-2017-03-21-at-7-46-29-am.png

View attachment 219306