Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Studio - model3config.com (unofficial)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen ghastly colors on cars of the past - and was so happy to see them evolve into the scrap pile. Nice thing about these color-emulators - have fun, pick any shade, stripe, checkerboard pattern you wish. Be a full blown clown and design anything your heart desires.
Personally, I like the simple palette offered by Tesla. Classy - not splassy. Glad you guys have your phantasy colors. To each their own.

I am pretty bored of the tesla color palate on the S/X. I hope with the Model 3 they introduce more fun and interesting colors than the du-jour black/white/silver/gray. The current champagne/titanium colour reminds me of my grandmother's Honda Accord. Why not mix in some fun colors like electric or sky blues/green variants, or my personal favorite--copper? I presume the age group for the M3 is going to be younger than the S/X so it would fit. What dumbfounds me is that Teslas are made to order, so they don't need to emulate traditional dealers which stock the regular oh-so boring mass-market palpably boring colors. Offer some unique exciting ones to fit the image of the car!

Reactions: MissAutobahn
If you look on other car sites, mid-range family cars have about the same color palette as the Model S/X. Tesla had a green and brown when they introduced the S, but there wasn't enough demand, so they discontinued it.

Checking a couple of car sites I do notice light blue is becoming a popular color and Tesla might introduce that at some point, but they're color palette is in line with what others are offering.

If you look on other car sites, mid-range family cars have about the same color palette as the Model S/X. Tesla had a green and brown when they introduced the S, but there wasn't enough demand, so they discontinued it.

Checking a couple of car sites I do notice light blue is becoming a popular color and Tesla might introduce that at some point, but they're color palette is in line with what others are offering.
And my color desire is to blend in to the flow of traffic. Nothing flashy to catch the eye of a ticket writer. I already "own" a hot chick (married her 35 years ago) so no need for eye candy flash. These boring colors by others is perfect camouflage for me to pass nearly unnoticed. I study predator/prey relationships and see this "hide in plain sight" camouflage thing work well.

And my color desire is to blend in to the flow of traffic. Nothing flashy to catch the eye of a ticket writer. I already "own" a hot chick (married her 35 years ago) so no need for eye candy flash. These boring colors by others is perfect camouflage for me to pass nearly unnoticed. I study predator/prey relationships and see this "hide in plain sight" camouflage thing work well.

One reason I like the Model S and I preferred the original nose. If you know what you're looking at, you know it's a Tesla, but from the shape it could pass for one of many contemporary iCE sedans. I don't want to scream to the world I'm driving anything different. If I did, I'd be looking at the weird-mobiles other car makers pass off as EVs and hybrids.

I go for white in cars for a couple of reasons, first it tends to show dirt less and secondly it absorbs less heat in the sun and loses less heat at night. I went with the pearl white which pleases my SO more than the plain white.

But atleast the green was way to dark, just like the blue color. They have now reintroduced the blue in a much lighter and nicer variant, lets hope they do the same with the green alternative :)

When I did the test drive, I mentioned that something like the green Subaru was using for many years would be nice. In low light conditions many of the color choices Tesla offers including the original green all look like black. Though green is currently not fashionable in car color options, few car makers offer it on any of their cars. Though I think it's one of the worst car colors ever, burnt orange is a popular color these days.

Though green is currently not fashionable in car color options, few car makers offer it on any of their cars.
Personally I do not care a bit about what is "fashionable", I like what I like - not what "everybody else" like. If anybody think that I drive around in a wired car - or an wired colored car - I just laugh at them :)

... But *sight* I do understand that Tesla will have to pay attention to that sort of things... :/

... but again - on a car in this sort of volumes - they maybe can loosen up a bit an let the individualists among us have some more choices :)

Personally I do not care a bit about what is "fashionable", I like what I like - not what "everybody else" like. If anybody think that I drive around in a wired car - or an wired colored car - I just laugh at them :)

... But *sight* I do understand that Tesla will have to pay attention to that sort of things... :/

... but again - on a car in this sort of volumes - they maybe can loosen up a bit an let the individualists among us have some more choices :)

I don't care about fashion either. I bought a new full sized Buick in my 20s and everyone laughed at me, but I was happy.

However, a car manufacturer is not going to offer an option if too few people get it. It isn't worth the cost. Every option offered for a car costs the manufacturer to offer it, each option adds complexity to the manufacturing process. If every car is identical like Henry Ford's black Model Ts, the production process has no choice points, all cars are made exactly the same way. For every option, there is a choice point on the production process on whether to add that option or not. If the option is popular enough, it's worth it to have the choice point, if it isn't, it's low cost to tick off a small handful of customers and not offer the option.

Tesla has dropped various options because it was not popular enough. They had the executive seats for a short time, but there weren't enough takers. Brown and green were discontinued because there weren't enough people buying it.

Reactions: Red Sage
However, a car manufacturer is not going to offer an option if too few people get it.
I know, as I wrote in my post.

Brown and green were discontinued because there weren't enough people buying it.
Yes, I know. But I think it just was the wrong shade of brown and green. As you mention above the green was almost black - except in the right light. A lighter more clear green color may have had more takers. And same with a lighter/clearer more "copper" brown I think.

... and as the volume gets up, a small % of takers represent more customers, so even if it the same % of customers that goes for that option it may still be a more reasonable option to offer. So I'm still hoping :) But no, it is not a "deal-breaker" :)

Silver is better and shines up like chrome.

Or you could go the other extreme and use insulating material for trim, diamonds perhaps? Pink with diamond trim, the Hello Kitty model.
Lol
THX for this ugly suggestion ;)

Neither black in black and matt... nor a pink miss Piggy Russian style car wouldn't be me.
I like stylish design from Italy for example.

But obsidian black with some copper, vintage cognac leather seats ... mhmm, my car would look like a big duracell deluxe battery :rolleyes:

With the model three being smaller I'm hopeful for a torch red like what is offered on corvettes. I want awd. Ludicrous mode and autonomous mode. Black moldings around the windows in a sport version would be nice too..

Adding this to my corvette garage after test driving the model s with both those options.

I'm an electric car enthusiast who just felt the model s was a bit too large.

I'm buying because it's fast and sexy looking and just happens to be electric.

GM s bolt is a refrigarator box on wheels...wtf?

Reactions: Red Sage