Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One restaurant in my area (Panama City Beach) is probably the best known eatery in NW Florida -- always gets rave reviews from tourists, locals and restaurant reviewers. I know and enjoy a friendship with the management there. I dropped them a line suggesting they consider contacting Tesla Motors about installing Destination Chargers at their restaurant. The reaction surprised me a little. TMC eagerly responded immediately telling the restaurant owner that they REALLY need more restaurants on the list. They imply they have lots of hotels and shopping centers but nowhere near enough restaurants. Here is a link that my restaurant-owning friend shared with me from his food industry buddies: Destination dining, the Tesla way . Interesting to read about this from the perspective of professional food service people, which I am decidedly NOT. It certainly seems like a win-win-win decision if this goes through to everyone's satisfaction. I'd be happy to share what I have learned in the process so far if any other Florida Tesla owners are interested in pursuing this idea in their area. Clearly, it serves Elon's objective of persuading the American public that EV ownership is viable, it gives the restaurant additional business and advertising bullets, and it gives a Tesla owner a clear choice of where to dine when visiting our town.

I was looking for a place to post this. I am a 3 reserver and not an owner yet. Excited but my wait will be a long one. I stopped by a local cafe and saw the destination charger padlocked. Come to find out, the owners charge $10 to use it. It is listed as a "tesla destination charger" on the website and is a true tesla labeled changer. Is this typical or allowed?

I would send this information to Tesla. I don't know the specifics, but I thought Tesla provided the equipment free of charge. So, I would imagine there's a stipulation in there that it be provided to patrons without a fee. Maybe someone here who has actually had a HPWC installed at their business through this program can comment to the specifics.

Now if you weren't going to eat at the cafe and just wanted stop and charge, they certainly have a right to say "no." But a fee doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the program.

Example of a "patrons only" destination charger:

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 9.26.10 PM.png