Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

determine if its a performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks but thru pictures I was told the vin code indicates the difference I just don't know what to look for

If you want to be SURE you will ONLY look for the red line under the word dual motor on the software screen. A vin may not be definitive. "Through pictures" have them take a picture of the software screen showing the picture of the car, and the software versions.

if it says "dual motor" with a red line under it, unless its photoshopped, its a performance. Not sure about model Ys but earlier model 3s absolutely do not specify by vin a difference. Source = my own 2018 model 3 performance, which vin does not denote its a performance.

Reactions: KenYoung1
Upvote 0
May not be possible. Only difference would be a single letter to indicate the motor package, but early 2020 deliveries suffered part shortages and some people who got LR model got the performance motor instead. So only real way to know only by the VIN is if that letter says it is not a performance version. If the VIN says it has the performance motors, you cannot be 100 percent guaranteed that you are getting a performance. Chances are it is the performance model, but that is not guaranteed.

Google for "Tesla Model Y VIN decoder" to figure out how to decode the VIN.

The screen in the car is the only way to know for sure.

Reactions: KenYoung1
Upvote 0
yes only way is the screen. Second method is to get the vin and run it thru one of the on line car purchasing sites. I would do both. Do not look at the tires - caliper - spoiler OR the red line under the words DUAL MOTOR on the hatch. Posers change all of that or can add that do not have true performance vehicles. Summary: Use teh screen as others have said AND run the vin.

Upvote 0

The problem, is for at least 2018 and likely 2019 vehicles, that may not be accurate. I used to use BMW vin decoders all the time and they were extremely accurate (like I never saw a discrepancy). Tesla ones, especially for vehicles older than perhaps 2020, not so much.

Upvote 0