TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Devil is in the detail

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Jayc, Jul 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jayc

Jayc Member

Let's analyse what Tesla says in detail:

Standard features also include:

* full self-driving hardware - Okay we know this one from reveal, we all get the hardware but have to pay if you want it enabled

* Supercharging capability - Again, we have to pay for it when we go over annual allowance

* a rear glass roof - Okay so it's a huge big glass, some may like better visibility, some may not

* a 15” touchscreen display - definitely a good thing to have but also very much a part of its core design

* Wi-Fi and LTE internet connectivity - this is good yes but the big question, is it free? I think we will have to pay

* free over-the air software updates - Another feature that MS gets for free and in this case Tesla points out to Model 3 owners that we are lucky to get free updates

* full LED lighting - Again definitely and genuinely a good thing that headlights are LED but I saw an option that said LED fog lights so not sure what full LED lights mean

* and an 8-year, 100,000 mile battery warranty - Again, Tesla says we are getting a warranty on the battery which is good

So it's not too bad but folks remember, it's not always about what is written, also think about what is not, and the clever language.

• Like x 1
  2. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Member

Maybe the entire car is a beta test so the warranty is nothing more than a proposal of what a warranty would look like.

3. AceSkywalker

AceSkywalker Member

I have little doubt Model 3 owners may have to pay for LTE. Having that in every car will get freakin expensive really quickly with them spitting out 5000 cars a week by New Years. The best to hope for is a reduced rate compared to paying an unlimited plan from AT&T. Or have the option to tether data from our phones via USB.

4. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

I may have missed it, but I haven't seen or heard anything from Tesla about an annual allowance for the Model 3.

5. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

If Tesla won't go into detail on what you actually are buying for some reason, I think we'll eventually have some magazine reviews that will do this analysis. I look forward to a more objective and informational review of the car. You're sure not going to get one on a fan website.

6. MasterT

MasterT Member

I wouldn't be surprised if there was none, you pay for all of it.

7. timk225

timk225 Member

If we just assume that Tesla is going to try and nickel and dime us to death with every possible fee, any way they can, then we won't be disappointed.

• Like x 1
  8. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I believe you are correct

IMG_0389.jpg

9. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Wasn't it like $.20 per kWh to charge?

10. Subhuman

Subhuman Member

I seriously doubt Tesla will makes Model 3 users pay for connectivity because of the hordes of data there are collecting from autopilot hardware.

If you give the customer an option they may not take it and they would lose out on all that data.

If Tesla has to have it in the car to collect data you might as well give it to the customer as a free perk.

• Like x 2
  11. nikeykid

nikeykid Member

depends on what state you are in, see: Supercharging

CA is $.20/kWh
    GA is by the minute

• Helpful x 1
  12. Jayc

Jayc Member

On the other hand, wouldn't it be nice for Tesla if half a million customers start paying regularly for a subscription as well as provide Tesla information - this is the sort of underhand suggestion that finance folk would come up with. One year ago I would have said no way Tesla or EM would allow this sort of ripoff because it does not sound like the right thing to do. However, seeing as how they have left out pure-white as a basic color option, and priced extra options on par with S, and also the clever wording for Model 3 specs, I think it is a real possibility we might have to pay for LTE.

13. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

It would be fairly trivial for Tesla to send their own data to themselves and updates to the car for free, while charging the owner for streaming and web browsing.

• Like x 1