Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Devoted Teslonian now developing a resentment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 382219

Twitter

Tesla is an innovative company and their products keep get better and cheaper. That’s a good thing.

You don't understand.

That's a non-truth you posted.

If I could have used FSD for a year and the price went down.....fine.

If someone purchased a computer and the price went down....fine. They have had the item.

We received NOTHING and the price went down. - along with the threat from Tesla that the price would go up if we didn't "get it now"!!!

You don't understand.

If someone purchased a computer and the price went down....fine. They have had the item.

We received NOTHING and the price went down. - along with the threat from Tesla that the price would go up if we didn't "get it now"!!!
Sounds like you need to take them to small claims court since you paid for a product you didn't receiver.

Reactions: P85_DA and mattjs33
You don't understand.

If someone purchased a computer and the price went down....fine. They have the item.

That’s not correct. Elon has said he’ll match the $2K price to FSD purchasers.

64939B8E-8EA6-45E6-BA13-06EEFDDBFBEA.png

Early FSD purchasers like you and me will be getting a check for $1000 in the mail, even though it was always a risk that the price would go down instead of up. I will be getting a $2K refund (2 cars) even though I knew the FSD price could go down.

Plus we get invited to the early access program, which I am excited about.

View attachment 382225

Early purchasers like you and me will be getting a check for $1000 in the mail, even though it was always a risk that the price would go down instead of up. I will be getting a $2K refund (2 cars) even though I knew that it was always a risk that the price would go down.

That's not an early adopter remedy/response by Elon.

Their website was jacked up and charged the wrong amount.

Tesla has already responded that people who purchased FSD a year ago will become a part of some kind of EAP program.....thanks for you $3k extra.

One thing this does I feel is fuel the argument against tax credits for electric vehicles. Tesla essentially pocketed the $7,500, not the consumers. Once the GOP figures this out you’ll hear a lot of “picking winners and losers” and the such.

By showing they can sell these cars at the reduced rate and still make a profit the are going to tarnish incentives for “green” projects and concepts in the future.

One thing this does I feel is fuel the argument against tax credits for electric vehicles. Tesla essentially pocketed the $7,500, not the consumers. Once the GOP figures this out you’ll hear a lot of “picking winners and losers” and the such.

By showing they can sell these cars at the reduced rate and still make a profit the are going to tarnish incentives for “green” projects and concepts in the future.

What? Tax Credits are a totally different thread.

Reactions: RyanT
You don't get it either.

I didn't think this was that complicated.

I actually agree with you completely. I paid $8k for EAP and FSD. I’m just not as mad. Have had Teslas since 2013 so this isn’t the first time they’ve dropped the price significantly or added features for free. Have also been burned by a half dozen Kickstarter and Indiegogo campaigns too. But again, I agree that many of us bought FSD upfront under threat of a much higher post-delivery price and that none of the originally promised FSD features have been released, and now the folks who took delivery and didn’t pay $8k upfront for FSD can get everything for $5k. It doesn’t feel right, but I dunno, I’m just not feeling as mad as others here.

View attachment 382225

Early FSD purchasers like you and me will be getting a check for $1000 in the mail, even though it was always a risk that the price would go down instead of up. I will be getting a $2K refund (2 cars) even though I knew the FSD price could go down.

Elon’s tweet about the $1K refund was in response to those who bought FSD yesterday at the $3K price. It is not clear that people who paid $3K prior to February 27 will get a refund.

Even if Tesla extends the $1K refund to prior purchases of the $3+K FSD option, the refund arguably should be $4K, because we paid $8+K for FSD capability that is now $4K.

The “early access program” sounds good but provides no actual benefit. There are probably 10,000 to 20,000 “early access program” members and they do not receive features earlier than non-members. First priority for updates is still based on other criteria like geography.

Last edited:
I agree.

But this isn't even "early adoption".

Everything else people early adopted for had some version of it available. NOTHING has been available for FSD.

This is exactly why I did not buy FSD...who the hell knew when it would be available. I did pay $5k for Enhanced Autopilot back in July 2018 but if I had waited until today I think I would have had both Autopilot and FSD for $4k. Why doesn't Tesla just refund us early adopters the difference and put us on par with the current prices available now. I am just talking about the software for those who purchased Autopilot or FSD. It has not even been a year or six months for some folks who purchased Autopilot or FSD.

Do the right thing. I agree its not fair for those who did purchase FSD because they never got to use it because it was never available and then it goes down in price.

BTW I waited in line too...first in line for what?

• Love
Reactions: C141medic
I remember when Apple came out with its first IPhone and priced it at $599, then dropped the price shortly afterwards to $399. Apple users were furious. After much complaining on the forums, Steve Jobs offered them a $100 Apple gift card as a consolation.

I placed my $1,000 deposit for a reservation on the first day. But when the car became available, the initial pricing they were charging just didn’t make sense to me. And paying extra money at the time for FSD seemed ridiculous. Who knows if that will ever come out, and if so it could be years later. I couldn’t imagine giving Tesla money on the promise that some day the car may truly drive itself. Technology changes too quickly to put money down on something that hasn’t been invented yet.

I understand the OPs frustration. The way Tesla has communicated with its loyal customers has room for improvement. I still find it annoying that the FSD description makes no mention of HW3, and so you have to refer to a tweet from Elon to know that the $3K really includes the new hardware. But Tesla is an immature company. They have great products but terrible management. Elon is a brilliant visionary but a horrible CEO. Until he hires someone qualified to run the company we will continue to see this juvenile behavior.

This is exactly why I did not buy FSD...who the hell knew when it would be available. I did pay $5k for Enhanced Autopilot back in July 2018 but if I had waited until today I think I would have had both Autopilot and FSD for $4k. Why doesn't Tesla just refund us early adopters the difference and put us on par with the current prices available now. I am just talking about the software for those who purchased Autopilot or FSD. It has not even been a year or six months for some folks who purchased Autopilot or FSD.

Do the right thing. I agree its not fair for those who did purchase FSD because they never got to use it because it was never available and then it goes down in price.

Yep. exactly.

I trusted that the price of FSD would go up after I purchased the car.

Oh well... They got me.

• Funny
But Tesla is an immature company. They have great products but terrible management. Elon is a brilliant visionary but a horrible CEO. Until he hires someone qualified to run the company we will continue to see this juvenile behavior.

They may be an immature company, but they aren't stupid. There are non-engineering geniuses in that company.

I just can't believe that this price drop circled around the board room and the concluding vote was "Yeah...that's a good idea to hand out EAP" as a consolation prize.

Do the right thing. I agree its not fair for those who did purchase FSD because they never got to use it because it was never available and it goes down in price.

~5/6 of the people in this poll also didn't purchase FSD: Will you buy FSD on your 3 at purchase? . Heck, folks were glad to give Tesla the purchase price to help...help with the dream I guess.

Elon’s tweet about $1K refund was in response to someone who bought FSD yesterday at the $3K price. It is not clear that people who paid $3K last year will get a refund.

Even it Tesla extends the $1K refund to prior purchases of the FSD option, the refund (or credit) should really be $4K not $1K, because we paid $8K for FSD capability that is now being offered for $4K.

Tesla will confirm who the $1K refund applies to (I think it is pretty clear it is all EAP/FSD customers who paid $8K) but I disagree that anyone is entitled to a refund of a portion of the $5K spent on EAP. The computer comic I posted is right on point. It's also absurd to think a company can refund earlier customers every time prices drop. They would go out of business. Everyone thinks their situation is unique but people have been complaining about Tesla cars improving or prices going down for years, ignoring the fact that they benefitted from past innovations and cost reductions.

4F73B541-268E-4442-B3B2-E461C2DAF7CC.png

Last edited:
But again, I agree that many of us bought FSD upfront under threat of a much higher post-delivery price and that none of the originally promised FSD features have been released, and now the folks who took delivery and didn’t pay $8k upfront for FSD can get everything for $5k. It doesn’t feel right, but I dunno, I’m just not feeling as mad as others here.
Note the new price of AP+FSD for pre-February 27 owners is actually $4K not $5K.

Edit: Maybe not. Looks like FSD may be $2K for only the owners that already have EAP.

Last edited: