Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Devoted Teslonian now developing a resentment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully Tesla will clarify who the $1K refund applies to but I disagree that anyone is entitled to a refund of a portion of the $5K spent on EAP. The computer comic I posted is right on point. It's also absurd to think a company can refund earlier customers every time prices drop. They would go out of business. Everyone thinks their situation is unique but people have been complaining about cars improving or prices going down for years, ignoring the fact that they benefitted from past innovations and cost reductions.

View attachment 382249

You really don't get it.

Reactions: NuclearPowered
Note the new price of AP+FSD for pre-February 28 owners is actually $4K not $5K.

I think that’s incorrect.

If you have EAP already, it’s $2k for FSD.

If you don’t have EAP already, it’s $2k for AP (not EAP) and $3k for FSD. Elon’s tweets about $2k were specially about people with EAP, not the new “stripped down” AP.

0D6EA946-6E25-4523-BCA8-626BD973A13F.jpeg

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000.
That was posted prior to Elon’s tweet storm last night. People tweeted that prior purchasers of the $5K EAP package should have to pay less than $3K for FSD, and Elon agreed.

I think that’s incorrect.

If you have EAP already, it’s $2k for FSD.

If you don’t have EAP already, it’s $2k for AP (not EAP) and $3k for FSD. Elon’s tweets about $2k were specially about people with EAP, not the new “stripped down” AP.
Maybe so.

I trusted that the price of FSD would go up after I purchased the car

Me too. Thought I was going to end up being the smart one once they started raising the after purchase prices for FSD. Figured as soon as the first feature was out it would go up.

Was salty yesterday when they announced the new packages and suddenly I have 3 “FSD” features that every EAP buyer got. 3 that I don’t use. But I am feeling a bit better now that I finally have something tangible to show for my early FSD purchase, even if it is just the early access program. I will also be happy if we do end up getting the new hardware. That will be worth $3k to me.

Me too. Thought I was going to end up being the smart one once they started raising the after purchase prices for FSD. Figured as soon as the first feature was out it would go up.

Was salty yesterday when they announced the new packages and suddenly I have 3 “FSD” features that every EAP buyer got. 3 that I don’t use. But I am feeling a bit better now that I finally have something tangible to show for my early FSD purchase, even if it is just the early access program. I will also be happy if we do end up getting the new hardware. That will be worth $3k to me.

That's funny..

How much does HW3 cost? $3k?

How much did we over pay in the beginning $3k?

hmmmm

Honestly this is so confusing and messed up, it’s likely there will be even more changes in the coming days. Would suggest waiting before buying any upgrade. There’s a good chance Elon will recognize the blunder and make FSD free (or just charge parts and labor for the HW3 swap) for EAP owners. Remember the recent fiasco about Model 3 Performance with the Performance Upgrade Package? Package became free, P3D+ and P3D- owners complained and they sent out $5000 refunds to P3D+ owners. More complaints and a few months later Elon extended it to P3D- owners too.

Honestly this is so confusing and messed up, it’s likely there will be even more changes in the coming days. Would suggest waiting before buying any upgrade. There’s a good chance Elon will recognize the blunder and make FSD free (or just charge parts and labor for the HW3 swap) for EAP owners. Remember the recent fiasco about Model 3 Performance with the Performance Upgrade Package? Package became free, P3D+ and P3D- owners complained and they sent out $5000 refunds to P3D+ owners. More complaints and a few months later Elon extended it to P3D- owners too.

I almost agree.

Tesla didn't just send out $5000 refunds. You had to give up your Unlimited Supercharging. ( something totally unrelated ).

It was a trade - not a refund.

As it has been stated. People are getting a 1K refund because the Tesla website was jacked up for a minute and over charged people. It has nothing to do with FSD.
Right now, if you have a Model 3 with EAP only, the Tesla web site indicates that the FSD option costs $3000 to add to your car. The new EAP->FSD upgrade price after Elon’s tweetstorm is $2000, but Elon said it will take a few days for the web site to reflect that price.

It is a website problem caused by the late (last night’s) decision to reduce the EAP->FSD upgrade price from $3000 to $2000.

Last edited:
I just cannot believe threads like this. Hope you folks never get into IT or you will be nonstop sad about paying more for things that will always be cheaper in the future. AWD, white interior, FSD owner here too.

Also consider when in-demand cars hit the market dealers will often sell them at sticker or higher then months later let them go for less.
Not sure if this has been posted but it even happens with electric cars...
Hyundai Dealers Reportedly Price Gouging On Kona Electric
There are multiple reports coming in now of $5,000-$8,000 markups over MSRP, which makes the Kona Electric way less attractive, especially when you wait for those few available units.

This thread is hilarious. People bought FSD knowing it bought them nothing except protection from price increases until the eventual features showed up. If the price went up, would all these people be calling up Tesla to pay the increase in price since they had not yet received the product/ features? This is all a symptom of a problem created by Tesla caving on the $5k performance price increase. They never should have started giving post purchase refunds for price changes. It has created this toxic attitude anytime a change or discount occurs that because we are some sort of heroic early adopters that we deserve something too.

I just cannot believe threads like this. Hope you folks never get into IT or you will be nonstop sad about paying more for things that will always be cheaper in the future.

Also consider when in-demand cars hit the market dealers will often sell them at sticker or higher then months later let them go for less.
Not sure if this has been posted but it even happens with electric cars...
Hyundai Dealers Reportedly Price Gouging On Kona Electric

Are you kidding me? You read this thread and STILL don't get it?

Reactions: C141medic
That's funny..

How much does HW3 cost? $3k?

How much did we over pay in the beginning $3k?

hmmmm

Well, Tesla does not normally allow folks to buy retrofits for new hardware. They used to early on, but today, they are not interested at all in retrofitting older cars. So one possibility is hardware 3 gets announced and retrofits turn out to not be offered. To anyone, not even FSD buyers. I know Elon has said we will get hardware upgrades multiple times, but he says a lot of stuff that never happens. Tesla has never officially announced that.

So I still consider it a distinct possibility I will not be able to get the hardware upgrade without buying a new car. Hence, I will be happy if they actually follow through on what they promised.

This thread is hilarious. People bought FSD knowing it bought them nothing except protection from price increases until the eventual features showed up. If the price went up, would all these people be calling up Tesla to pay the increase in price since they had not yet received the product/ features? This is all a symptom of a problem created by Tesla caving on the $5k performance price increase. They never should have started giving post purchase refunds for price changes. It has created this toxic attitude anytime a change or discount occurs that because we are some sort of heroic early adopters that we deserve something too.

Tesla has NEVER given a refund.

Tesla traded Unlimited Supercharging for $5k.

That is not a refund of any kind.