Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dial or call?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first got my car, I could have sworn I told the GUI to "call soandso". And it worked.
About 3 months ago I started getting errors, "unknown command". Scratching my head, I thought ... hummm.
Then I started saying "dial what's her name".
Today it seems to work sometimes one way, sometimes another but I usually have to ask "her" at least twice.
Anyone else have this?

When I first got my car, I could have sworn I told the GUI to "call soandso". And it worked.
About 3 months ago I started getting errors, "unknown command". Scratching my head, I thought ... hummm.
Then I started saying "dial what's her name".
Today it seems to work sometimes one way, sometimes another but I usually have to ask "her" at least twice.
Anyone else have this?

I always say "call" and it works, but if you start talking before it says "recording" the the dash (first it says something else; I forget what..."preparing" or something like that?) . . . it may miss the command word you're saying. You probably know that, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Note: I have 4.5 and I presume they haven't changed it in later versions of the software, but I don't know for sure.

I always say "call" and it works, but if you start talking before it says "recording" the the dash (first it says something else; I forget what..."preparing" or something like that?) . . . it may miss the command word you're saying. You probably know that, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Note: I have 4.5 and I presume they haven't changed it in later versions of the software, but I don't know for sure.

In 5.8 there is no more delay between pressing the button and "Recording".

Saying call works for me.

Be happy you can actually use the voice commands. Somehow the dutch version doesn't work. It's neither recognize dutch command nor English commands.
Could me the accent maybe....
But I'm patient. Never driven such a nice car in my life, so I'm happy.

On my brief test drive in Switzerland I Tried "Play 'Burn it Down' by Linkin Park" , but it didn't work. Did I get the syntax wrong? Maybe I should have used a German verb? Perhaps "Burn It Down" is removed from all catalogs for safety reasons?

On my brief test drive in Switzerland I Tried "Play 'Burn it Down' by Linkin Park" , but it didn't work. Did I get the syntax wrong? Maybe I should have used a German verb? Perhaps "Burn It Down" is removed from all catalogs for safety reasons?

If the syntax is wrong or (more likely) it misunderstood, then it should say something on the dash, below the speedometer, like "command not understood" (I forget just what the phrase is). If it understood but didn't find the song, it should pull up the song search interface with what it did understand already typed in.

I'm guessing it misunderstood--perhaps, as you say, it expected German. What was the interface in? I haven't read about this, but I'd guess if the interface is in German, it would expect German, but if in English, it would expect English...? Not sure.

If the syntax is wrong or (more likely) it misunderstood, then it should say something on the dash, below the speedometer, like "command not understood" (I forget just what the phrase is). If it understood but didn't find the song, it should pull up the song search interface with what it did understand already typed in.

I'm guessing it misunderstood--perhaps, as you say, it expected German. What was the interface in? I haven't read about this, but I'd guess if the interface is in German, it would expect German, but if in English, it would expect English...? Not sure.

My recollection is that it didn't say anything. It is quite possible that the car was in German mode, I didn't have enough time behind the wheel to know for sure; not important. When I actually own one of these fine automobiles I'm sure I'll get it to work like a charm.