Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone/user interface issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MY since last September. generally things are ok except for a few issues:
1) Is there a way to edit the entertainment screen to remove some of the icons that came from the factory? I am specifically referring to the icons for CNN, MSNBC, and all the ones that the display thinks are "popular," deserve my notice, etc. IOW I am not talking about those icons that are for tesla specific functions, eg energy meter. I would like to make the entertainment screen streamlined rather than the multilayered, hard to find icon arrangement that is the default. Is there anyway to personalize the screen to remove all the junk stuff there that only clutters and confuses? Can I achieve iPad user friendliness?

2) If my wife was the previous driver and I enter to drive, unlocking with my phone, the car still keeps my wife's seating and all other preferences. I have to tap on her name at the top of the display, go to the dropdown list and choose my name, then all is fine. It appears that the car doesn't know that, even using my phone, the car does not know it is me. Ideas?

3) The most serious and annoying issue is that the car OFTEN does not recognize my wife's phone, asking her for the key card to enter and even to drive. In addition, even though it is set to lock when she walks away, it does not always do that. Sometimes, after she's driven the car and parked, usually in our driveway if that makes a difference, I will get an alert that a window is open, or the car is unlocked. She did not order those things up. When I look, yes a window(s) is open and the car is unlocked.

I am up to date on software, my phone is set as the primary, I have rebooted the display many times to no avail. I have deleted and reinstalled her phone with the car a few times, no change in behavior.
We both have Pixel phones.
Any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks
John

Reactions: fsb1
Is item #1 referring to TuneIn Radio? If you download the TuneIn app and create a free account on your phone, you can save your favorites (on your Tesla or via the phone app) and the Tesla app will open up with your favorites at the top. Once you have an account set up, go to the Login tab and scan the QR code with your phone to associate your MY with your account and choose the free option. Sometimes after updates you will need to rescan the QR code because you have been logged out.

As for #2 and #3, I just set up my wife’s phone last week to use with my MYLR because she finally wanted to try driving it (after almost a year and a half of ownership). There was some weirdness after I tried to use my phone, such as the correct profile not loading and the vehicle not recognizing it was home. I got it back to correctly responding to my phone but I haven’t had time to mess around with it and she hasn’t driven it since. I set my phone as the primary device and set our home address to Home, but there might be some quirks to it, or steps I missed. If I figure anything out, I’ll post it in this thread.

She probably won’t be driving my MYLR much, because she went for a test drive of an M3RWD over the weekend and she’s scheduled to take delivery of hers tomorrow! Looks like I’ll also get to figure out how to manage two cars via the app. 😄

Reactions: JayElDee
I've had my MY since last September. generally things are ok except for a few issues:
1) Is there a way to edit the entertainment screen to remove some of the icons that came from the factory? I am specifically referring to the icons for CNN, MSNBC, and all the ones that the display thinks are "popular," deserve my notice, etc. IOW I am not talking about those icons that are for tesla specific functions, eg energy meter. I would like to make the entertainment screen streamlined rather than the multilayered, hard to find icon arrangement that is the default. Is there anyway to personalize the screen to remove all the junk stuff there that only clutters and confuses? Can I achieve iPad user friendliness?
Response to #1 is in my previous message. Let me know if you were talking about TuneIn Radio.
2) If my wife was the previous driver and I enter to drive, unlocking with my phone, the car still keeps my wife's seating and all other preferences. I have to tap on her name at the top of the display, go to the dropdown list and choose my name, then all is fine. It appears that the car doesn't know that, even using my phone, the car does not know it is me. Ideas?

3) The most serious and annoying issue is that the car OFTEN does not recognize my wife's phone, asking her for the key card to enter and even to drive. In addition, even though it is set to lock when she walks away, it does not always do that. Sometimes, after she's driven the car and parked, usually in our driveway if that makes a difference, I will get an alert that a window is open, or the car is unlocked. She did not order those things up. When I look, yes a window(s) is open and the car is unlocked.

I am up to date on software, my phone is set as the primary, I have rebooted the display many times to no avail. I have deleted and reinstalled her phone with the car a few times, no change in behavior.
We both have Pixel phones.
Any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks
John
I think I figured out the issue. It appears that the device that the car was recognizing was not associated with the profile I thought it was using, and I didn't make adjustment on the correct profile.

I needed to go into the "Locks" page and associate the correct profile with each access device (phone or key card). The currently active recognized device will be bolded and will show the profile to which it is associated. For example, if your profile is loaded, tap the "person" icon next to the access devices you want associated with your profile. Then, switch to your wife's profile and tap the person icon for all the access devices you want associated with her profile.

Cloud profiles are pretty slick. Having my entire setup instantly available in her car (as well as all the settings she made in my car transferring to her car) was very cool. Also, you can use one key card for more than one vehicle.

The biggest challenge is when the car detects both phones, so I would recommend quitting the Tesla app at home unless you are the one using the car. If the other phone is too close to where the car is parked, it may take control and determine the profile. You will then see two phones bolded in the Lock screen access device list.

I just set it up last night so I'll post anything else I find here.

Thanks ajstan for responding.
Yes, I am referring toTuneIn, but generally to the whole display. TuneIn is just a part. I recognize that TuneIn is an app and may not have configurability. It's the rest of the screen that is most troubling. So many icons, so many headings, it seems to be needlessly confusing, and there is no way to remove the clutter.

So, I tried to sign up for the free TuneIn account, using the Tesla supplied QR code. The associated TuneIn website required a credit card "for verification."
When entered the TuneIn site said they could not process my card because it was not one accepted by their system, or some such wording. I tried two other cards, all had problems. I gave up on it. Within minutes we were alerted by USAA VISA for a suspicious charge. They canceled that card. Overnite, the other two cards had suspicious, and fraudulent, charges.
I notified TuneIn, no response yet.

That's weird. I just created a free account for my wife less than two weeks ago and a credit card wasn't needed. Did you sign up for the TuneIn Premium trial instead of signing up for the free account?

Right, that is what TuneIn told me also, a cc was not needed. However, the way the screen was formatted on my phone, Pixel 7, it was not clear. I was trying to apply for a free account, and a screen came up asking for CC info and allowed me to input the info. Yes, strange, and admittedly possibly user error, but it somehow asked for my cc and I thought to proceed it was needed.

Right, that is what TuneIn told me also, a cc was not needed. However, the way the screen was formatted on my phone, Pixel 7, it was not clear. I was trying to apply for a free account, and a screen came up asking for CC info and allowed me to input the info. Yes, strange, and admittedly possibly user error, but it somehow asked for my cc and I thought to proceed it was needed.

I replied to your other thread but I'll reply here as well for visibility - your phone is likely compromised and redirected you to an illegitimate site when you tried to scan the QR code, and that's how your CCs got stolen.

As someone with cybersecurity experience who deals with compromised devices on a regular basis, you should:
  1. Backup your phone ASAP and perform a factory reset
  2. Secure any account used on your phone - your Google account, Tesla account, all banks, social medial, etc. Login to them, if they have a way to "force logout all sessions", do that. Change the passwords and password-reset questions. Enable Multi-Factor Authentication if supported.
  3. Restore photos, videos, text messages, etc from your backup, but only the minimum necessary, avoid restoring apps.
  4. Manually re-install your apps, but ideally, only very, very trustworthy ones. Check the author/publisher of the app, is it a large company that you've heard of or can Google and see their website? If not, don't install the app.