Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did anybody drive in a MS 60 from Delaware Supercharger to Glen Allen, VA SC ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anybody drive in a MS 60 from Delaware Supercharger to Glen Allen, VA SC ? Because that is a 197 mile drive and considering cold weather, traffic that would put it on the border range of a MS 60. My MS 60 gets a rated range of 199-205. If I drive cruise control at 59 mph with no A/C or heat , I get more but that was during the summer in warm weather.

Did anybody drive in a MS 60 from Delaware Supercharger to Glen Allen, VA SC ? Because that is a 197 mile drive and considering cold weather, traffic that would put it on the border range of a MS 60. My MS 60 gets a rated range of 199-205. If I drive cruise control at 59 mph with no A/C or heat , I get more but that was during the summer in warm weather.

Based on my experience, this would be next to impossible unless you drive very slow and have perfect conditions. It would be a stressful trip

Maybe stop at the DC store for a little bit extra !?!?!??! There are plenty of people in the DC area that might offer up an outlet. I would but I don't have one. There is a lower level charger in Herndon at MOM's Organic Market and I believe Dulles International Airport has some too. Both are not too far off the beaten path. I heard some in Tyson's Corner also....

I don't think it is advisable. The good thing is that you can use Route 301 south of Baltimore to just north of Richmond. That route has a slower traffic speed, is 2 miles shorter, and has L2 charging along the way. Especially in the Waldorf, MD area. You might want to check out Prime Street Grill. While there might be traffic, it is usually not as bad as going through the Beltway. Matter of fact, when my kid was playing travel ice hockey, we would routinely use 301 instead of 95 if we were going anywhere north of DC. We usually merge back into I-95 at Ruther Glen, using Route 207.

If you find yourself just short of making the Supercharger, there are J1772's in Ashland off England Street. One of them is at James River Air whose owner owns a Model S. Unfortunately, these are all 30A J1772's.

If you find yourself really short, then there is a Flying J at 207 & I95. I've never charged there, but they have 120v 20 amp and they have 208 v 30A intended for trucks. You'll have to dodge trucks and figure out what 30A plug they are using (I think it's 14-30, but you'll have to check).

Last edited:
Is there another supercharger suppose to be built between Delaware and Glen Allen, Va by I-95. I think somewhere in Maryland , like Hagertown but that's not on I-95. So without this you can't really drive from NY to Florida in a MS 60 without stopping on the way at a non supercharger in DC , MD and VA.

Hagerstown, MD should be online soon. There is supposed to be a temporary one installed in Bethesda, MD this month until the Woodbridge, VA one is completed.

EDIT: Looks like Hagerstown will not help much. It is too far west to make the trip worth it but it is 20 miles closer to Glen Allen than Newark.

Last edited:
Try googling David Noland's blog on Green Car Reports. I believe he did this trip in his MS 60. He lives in New York State and drove from there to North Carolina if my memory is correct. He wrote extensively about the trip. Sorry I do not have a link to the article. If you cannot find it let me know.

I agree the trip would be very tough. I have done the trips in either direction from DC and would really doubt you can make it in the winter in a 60 without stopping to charge in the middle.

The Montgomery mall and Tyson's Corner stores are both convenient off I95/495, so they are good options to stop off for an hour and get 30-60 miles extra (based on if you have dual chargers)

I have done 210+ in my 60 in fair weather at modest speeds. Traffic is actually ok as long as you are not running a lot of climate control in extreme temp. If I were making your trip I would plan a stop in between. Even a 1 hour stop at a J1772 would give you a decent buffer. 14-50 outlet (Tysons or Montgomery) better yet. Have 2 or 3 charge options planned out and you should be fine.

The Tesla store at Montgomery Mall is another option, also right near the Beltway. Not very far from Tyson's, but if Tyson's is booked...

Coming from DE, I'd stop at Mongomery Mall first...if full, try Tysons. Other way, do the reverse.

But lordy, don't travel around the area during rush hour. (Actually, I-95 just south of the Beltway always feels like rush hour to me, the few times I drive that way....)

A temporary Supercharger is to be at Montgomery Mall in Bethesda where there is an existing Tesla Galleria. It will have a single stall. Depending on the time of day and the day of the week, I think I would still give the 301 route strong consideration and just hang out with a J1772 charging rather that sit in traffic on I-95. The scenery is much better on 301 too.

I'm with others in that a brief bump of a charge in the DC metro area would be advisable. I've got an outdoor charger available in Arlington, but Montgomery Mall, Tysons, the MOSAIC district (Lee Highway @ 495) are all RIGHT off of 495 for free charging with lots to do in each of those areas.