Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I make a mistake by ordering 21 inch wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the 21inch wheel because they looked so damn awesome. I did not order it for the performance or better cornering etc.

I was just reading a couple of forums and blogs where some people had to change them every 6000 miles. That sounds really bad.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How much does it cost to replace the tires? Also I am leasing the car, so is this cost covered by Tesla?

I ordered the 21inch wheel because they looked so damn awesome. I did not order it for the performance or better cornering etc.

I was just reading a couple of forums and blogs where some people had to change them every 6000 miles. That sounds really bad.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How much does it cost to replace the tires? Also I am leasing the car, so is this cost covered by Tesla?

If you think Tesla covers anything as part of your lease you're in for a bad time.

• Funny
Reactions: RScottyL
If your car is aligned properly, you can get as much as 20K miles from 21s. The only car where this isn't the case is the P85+, which does blow through tires at an astounding rate.

Otherwise, the ContiSilent 21" tire is almost 10db quieter than other OEM tires. That's the most significant reason to get the 21s.

If your car is aligned properly, you can get as much as 20K miles from 21s. The only car where this isn't the case is the P85+, which does blow through tires at an astounding rate.

Definitely not true as a blanket statement, and definitely not in my experience. The P85+ isn't that much different from the P85s. Tire wear is mostly a function of the driver, not the +. If you hammer on the accelerator with 21" on a P85, they're not going to last long either.

• Helpful
Reactions: bollar
Large wheels like 21" are widely used on other cars of premium segment like Mercedes or BMW as they handle slightly more comfortable at the high speeds, but of course it's easier to damage the rims if the tires are skinny, however you should find some really bad roads to feel it. They look just great, and you just can't disagree.
This article may be interesting for you: Are Bigger Wheels Better Wheels?

Large wheels like 21" are widely used on other cars of premium segment like Mercedes or BMW as they handle slightly more comfortable at the high speeds, but of course it's easier to damage the rims if the tires are skinny, however you should find some really bad roads to feel it. They look just great, and you just can't disagree.
This article may be interesting for you: Are Bigger Wheels Better Wheels?

Great article ...
"To sum it up: The most important parameter for vehicle performance is the weight of the wheel. Replacing a standard size steel wheel with the same size of cast light alloy wheel improves performance and road-holding considerably, without any reduction in comfort. Further improvement in road-holding comes with increased wheel size, combined with a corresponding reduction in the height of the tire walls, a procedure called "Plus-Sizing". The improved performance comes with a reduction in comfort, and the effectiveness of plus-sizing is reduced by uneven road surfaces. Big wheels often look better, but have to be chosen carefully to be better for vehicle performance. If you want wheels that are bigger than 18", you should look for forged wheels or wheels with forged (spun) barrels. more details on - Are Bigger Wheels Better Wheels?"

I guess I won't I won't be driving like a lunatic(well maybe sometime) and since this is a 70D, I am guessing it will have less tire degradation compared to p85D and p90d. Am I correct in guessing this or this does not matter much?

How much does it cost to have tires replaced?

Also I don't see the tire and wheel extended warranty in the pre-paid warranty page. I had seen that in lot of screenshots posted by other tesla owners. Is it not available now?

I guess I won't I won't be driving like a lunatic(well maybe sometime) and since this is a 70D, I am guessing it will have less tire degradation compared to p85D and p90d. Am I correct in guessing this or this does not matter much? How much does it cost to have tires replaced?

Also I don't see the tire and wheel extended warranty in the pre-paid warranty page. I had seen that in lot of screenshots posted by other tesla owners. Is it not available now?

According to my local DS, the 19" tires seem to last twice as long as the average 21" tires. YMMV.
Cost is another factor as the 19" are approximately $300 each and the 21" are $500 - $550.

I live in the rolling hills of Chester County outside of Philadelphia. The back roads are subject to really nasty potholes from winter damage. Any type of car with large rims and low profile tires that hits a pot hole has a much higher chance of tire and rim damage than smaller diameter wheels and tires with more sidewall.

Any time I've had large wheels (and the accompanying low profile tires) I've ended up replacing at least a couple wheels/tires due to pothole damage (Pittsburgh, PA). Also, the ride won't be as comfortable (although not bad). On the plus side, they look friggin sweet.
Always pluses and minuses there are....

The tire and wheel warranty was only offered for a very short time back in 2012 and maybe 2013. It's no longer available.

According to my local DS, the 19" tires seem to last twice as long as the average 21" tires. YMMV.
Cost is another factor as the 19" are approximately $300 each and the 21" are $500 - $550.

Yeah, if you go for the stock tires. There are dozens of existing threads on alternate 21" tire choices. A favorite (for Summer use only) seems to be the Hankook Ventus v12 evo V2 tire, for about $220 each. There are other options available also in Summer, All Season, and even winter tires for the 21" rims.

No need to replace tires with the expensive Michelin $uper $port OEM tires.

Expect $2000 to replace all four ContiSilents. Since Tesla doesn't offer a road hazard warranty, I'd suggest getting them elsewhere.

As noted, it's possible to save a lot of money by getting an alternate tire, but I'd try to drive them first. I joke that the ContiSilent is magical because of its crazy price, but it is also a much quieter ride than any alternative I've tried.

Yeah, if you go for the stock tires. There are dozens of existing threads on alternate 21" tire choices. A favorite (for Summer use only) seems to be the Hankook Ventus v12 evo V2 tire, for about $220 each. There are other options available also in Summer, All Season, and even winter tires for the 21" rims.

No need to replace tires with the expensive Michelin $uper $port OEM tires.

I am leasing the Tesla. Will swapping the tire for a 3rd party one allowed in a lease?