Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did my MCU1 just die ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the current replacement part warranty is 1 year, thus I have until February or i have to cough up ANOTHER $2000 (unless they refund the original $2000 i spent last February)

No, you are missing the point. Are you past the 8-year/100k mile extended warranty? Because that should apply even to your replaced MCU. (So if you have a 2016 with 50k miles you have another 4-years/50k of coverage for the eMMC issue.)

My MCU got replaced in February at a cost of $2000, hopefully I will get my money back per there email (But not holding my breath) the remanufactured one that they put in is now rebooting minimum once per week, laggy as hell but per tesla service "working per specifications".
I am a bit confused. They put a remanufactured MCU1 into your car with a supposedly clear emmc and it already is having issues? This seems like something other than a full or overwritten emmc is causing a problem.

I am a bit confused. They put a remanufactured MCU1 into your car with a supposedly clear emmc and it already is having issues? This seems like something other than a full or overwritten emmc is causing a problem.

Classic symptoms Reboots, laggy as hell. waiting for steering wheel control failures and then finally MCU death....no doubt the "remanufactured" units are previous failure MCU1's tested and refurbished if they dont meet certain specs. some failed units are likely deemed OK and re-installed

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
No, you are missing the point. Are you past the 8-year/100k mile extended warranty? Because that should apply even to your replaced MCU. (So if you have a 2016 with 50k miles you have another 4-years/50k of coverage for the eMMC issue.)
Well, if they were an honorable company that may be the case, but they will likely consider the replacement as a replacement part thus all the "rights" as a replacement part are in effect nullifying the 8 year warranty on the original part and replacing with the one year replacement part warranty. Hopefully I get my $2000 back and the point is moot, but doubt it given past history on in warranty and out of warranty issues

What you have to understand is that tesla wildly underestimated repair/complaint rates and did not plan infrastructure and reserves for warranty repair. Service for me at first (2017) was excellent and deteriorated rapidly thru 2018/19 with the intro of the model 3, finally NON-EXISTENT when warranty expired. I used to be able to cajole service manager at my favorite SC but turnover became rampant and any employee not willing to tell customers everything was "in Spec" or "couldnt replicate complaint" was fired or got so miserable lying to customers they left.

Last edited:
That is what my situation is.. Tesla San Diego replace my MCU1(12/2014) in October 2019 I paid $1800 and then in January they announce that they would upgrade the infotainment system and then November 9 they sent the email saying that they would reimburse folks for such expenses now at this current day December 26 my MCU (replaced) is dead it won’t turn on so I get all the notices in the screen above the steering well I’ve done the resets I’ve called them and it does not reset reboot at all so I’m hoping that they would just be able to turn it back on and not charge me another $1800 for another MCU

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus