Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did my MCU1 just die ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 P85D navigation MCU1 functions have been getting SLOWER and SLOWER... and occasionally CRASHING the MCU1 computer causing it to restart.

Late yesterday, things took a distinct turn for the worse when I tried to change the target Charge on my MCU1. The cursor was lagging badly so setting the target Charge was tricky... and S_L_O_W. Then the MCU1 completely froze up, rebooted, and then I saw the multiple messages below:
  • Center Display Unavailable (weird since it DOES appear to be working)
  • Please wait while vehicle systems power up
  • Key not inside vehicle
Did my MCU1 die? Or is my MCU1 about to die permanently?

I think I'll just have Tesla replace my MCU1 for free until the $2,500 MCU2 Premium Sound System and backup camera issues are resolved... and Tesla techs have mastered the $500 FM / Sirius satellite module installation. Please don't comment on my MCU1 vs. MCU2 decision. I have read and understand this Pros and Cons of MCU2.

I just want to know if this confirms my mCU1 is dying... or not.

L+XXSHuCRcyyOy1LxZpfmg_thumb_64d7.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1f4c.jpeg

4ySMSh4oSdSbSqhSgLVFkA_thumb_64ce.jpg

And unless it is black they will not do a damn thing...they will say they reflash and everything is normal blah blah blah...and it will still be laggy and reboot a couple times a week but none chance at a new (oh sorry REFURBISHED) MCU1.

And unless it is black they will not do a damn thing...they will say they reflash and everything is normal blah blah blah...and it will still be laggy and reboot a couple times a week but none chance at a new (oh sorry REFURBISHED) MCU1.

REALLY ???

They why did Tesla email me this November 9th ?

1156d219-dcd3-42b8-8c08-269c2c83e84c.png

Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.

Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.

If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.

To learn more about the program and its terms and conditions, please click the link below.

LEARN MORE

Warranty Adjustment Program

Thank you for being a Tesla customer and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Tesla | All Rights Reserved | 3500 Deer Creek Rd. Palo Alto CA 94304​

open

My 2015 P85D+ is version 2020.36.11 and no newer updates have appeared since this was installed.

I hadn't answered aesculus since I thought he'd directed his "What FW version does this appear in?" question to MP3Mike

Yeah, we are all waiting to hear what this fellow says: I assume he has a 2020.44. XX version. But I haven't seen your centre display unavailable message before, so wondered...

Yeah, we are all waiting to hear what this fellow says: I assume he has a 2020.44. XX version. But I haven't seen your centre display unavailable message before, so wondered...

I'd never seen that "Center Display Unavailable" message either, even after my MCU1 had crashed and rebooted itself... or I'd done a manual reboot.

This completely BLACK screen is what appeared after my MCU1 Center Display became unresponsive... and crashed:

96WUwR4mRNW7zIAfUPSQhw_thumb_64d5.jpg

... followed by the MCU1 rebooting automatically:

H0dC8FttREK0HwEw2bdcHQ_thumb_64d4.jpg

Reactions: mike81b
I got the “Center Display Not Available” msg when my MCU1 died as well. That is the key msg that will drive the SC to get you in for daughter card replacement. If you just get reboots, the eMMC is still not technically dead so they will not replace.
Mine was dead for two days plus (HVAC stuck on, no audible blinkers, etc.) until it magically came back to life after I tried rebooting a few times daily.
This was a month ago, before the extended warranty email so they are undoubtedly swamped with requests. Pre-emptive swaps will really not happen now.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I got the “Center Display Not Available” msg when my MCU1 died as well. That is the key msg that will drive the SC to get you in for daughter card replacement. If you just get reboots, the eMMC is still not technically dead so they will not replace.
Mine was dead for two days plus (HVAC stuck on, no audible blinkers, etc.) until it magically came back to life after I tried rebooting a few times daily.
This was a month ago, before the extended warranty email so they are undoubtedly swamped with requests. Pre-emptive swaps will really not happen now.

Awesome insight! Thanks!

Can you post your service invoice which will hopefully reference “Center Display Not Available” ?

That may be invaluable to get our Tesla Service Center to replace it NOW instead of waiting for a total MCU1 failure.

Reactions: mike81b
Awesome insight! Thanks!

Can you post your service invoice which will hopefully reference “Center Display Not Available” ?

That may be invaluable to get our Tesla Service Center to replace it NOW instead of waiting for a total MCU1 failure.
That verbiage wasn’t on my invoice. I fortunately have a SC that is quite willing to “listen” when we are texting back and forth after the appt has been set. That’s where I documented all the symptoms/msgs. Even after the MCU came back to life, they didn’t suggest that I was now good again. Pasting the verbiage from my invoice.

Concern: Customer: MCU1 has died. Tried multiple resets. Need new Tegra daughter board ordered and installed. Screen stays black and no infotainment, HVAC, etc. available. Update: Touchscreen reset revived touchscreen

REALLY ???

They why did Tesla email me this November 9th ?

1156d219-dcd3-42b8-8c08-269c2c83e84c.png

Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.

Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.

If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.

To learn more about the program and its terms and conditions, please click the link below.

LEARN MORE

Warranty Adjustment Program

Thank you for being a Tesla customer and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Tesla | All Rights Reserved | 3500 Deer Creek Rd. Palo Alto CA 94304​

open

The key here is what is considered a malfunction:

"Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action".

My screen (replaced with "refurbished" MCU1 once already) is rebooting on average 2 times a week (~10min per reboot) and is laggy as hell. I took it in and they said they "reflashed" the unit and it was working per spec. Obviously they consider multiple reboots every week "per spec".
I am at firmware 2020.36 and do not get ANY of the warnings noted here...MCU just dies for 10 min at a time. I am dutifully recording these in hopes they will do what's right and replace the MCU once more, hopefully with an upgraded daughter board.
I do hope to get refunded the $2000 it cost to replace it (2000 miles out of warranty, Hah) but not holding my breath. hopefully MCU dies completely before my 1 year parts replacement expires and they will have to fix it again, maybe with the upgraded memory
#mondaycar #teslalemon

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
I was having the same reboot issues as several others here. I emailed my service center about it with the dates, times, pictures I took when it happened (a quick screen shot will give them all that info in one pic. They remotely cleared my cache a month ago and my issues have stopped. Haven’t had to reboot once. Haven’t had it reboot in its own once since.

that all being said. They told me of the problem persisted to keep the pictures of the dates and times and if it kept happening they’d replace the daughterboard. ‍♀️

no they won’t just replace the daughterboard just in case (because it will happen eventually) but if you’re having constant issues they will. If you’re local service center is giving you flack try another one in your area.

You should be covered for 8-years or 100k miles, at least for the eMMC... (Or is the 1-year parts warranty longer than that?)
You are missing the point. Tesla is not going to fix an intermittently rebooting MCU. they will merely keep your car for two days to a week, wave their hands, say they reflashed the henway, say "working per specifications" and hand you back the same intermittently rebooting MCU.
My MCU got replaced in February at a cost of $2000, hopefully I will get my money back per there email (But not holding my breath) the remanufactured one that they put in is now rebooting minimum once per week, laggy as hell but per tesla service "working per specifications". Unless it fails COMPLETELY (ie dead screen no recovery) they do not consider it a "malfunction" and the current replacement part warranty is 1 year, thus I have until February or i have to cough up ANOTHER $2000 (unless they refund the original $2000 i spent last February)