Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did not pass inspection - anyone come across this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The second picture shows a Ufer ground, so assuming the bare wire goes to the correct place in your service panel, that is good, and it means you don't need any ground rods.

The first picture shows the hot, cold, and gas bonded together at the wather heater, it's the bare copper wire going behind the white PVC pipe.

However, if your water service (the pipe coming out of the ground) is metallic, it needs to be connected within 5' of coming into the house. You haven't provided a picture of that, so I can't comment. But as the grounding electrode conductor at the Ufer ground appears to go off in two directions, and there appears to be another bonding jumper connected to the turned up rebar, there is a good chance one of those goes to the metallic water service, as everything else appears to be in order.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks Wayne. I really appreciate your expertise.

Just doing that now--"natural" gas is toxic stuff, and terrible for our planet.

Replaced both gas water heaters with electric weeks ago, and the gas furnaces are now part of a SEER 20 HVAC replacement.

Calling the gas company after our next bill--"Come and get your meter. We're DONE!"

With all our excess solar power, this should have been done years ago . . . guess I'm a slow learner.

hey...super idea for DOUBLING your utility bill. hope you can go off grid soon!!!

• Disagree
Reactions: abasile and Dave EV
hey...super idea for DOUBLING your utility bill. hope you can go off grid soon!!!

You fail to understand; allow me to be more clear:

We GIVE AWAY too much excess solar power, and we've only got an 8kW solar array as the annual excell power pool is taken away/zeroed out at the EOY.

Suspect that with our SEER 20 heat pumps, and some foam insulation on the roof deck, we'll still be giving power back to the electric utility, for free. This despite to MS's in the garage as well.

You fail to understand; allow me to be more clear:

We GIVE AWAY too much excess solar power, and we've only got an 8kW solar array as the annual excell power pool is taken away/zeroed out at the EOY.

Suspect that with our SEER 20 heat pumps, and some foam insulation on the roof deck, we'll still be giving power back to the electric utility, for free. This despite to MS's in the garage as well.

What State?

Not so sure about that. Induction is just as good.

Have read many reviews. With induction, you have to be more careful due to the glass top. You cannot heat anything without a pan or pot. For example, get a quick fire roast on a pepper or tortilla. Gas heat on/off is faster. Pots/pans can slide easier on glass top. I get that induction is far superior to regular electric, but it would not be good for me.

Have read many reviews. With induction, you have to be more careful due to the glass top. You cannot heat anything without a pan or pot. For example, get a quick fire roast on a pepper or tortilla. Gas heat on/off is faster. Pots/pans can slide easier on glass top. I get that induction is far superior to regular electric, but it would not be good for me.

Oh my, I am so sorry that "it would not be good for [you.]"

The problem is that you and I don't own the planet, we are simply caretakers for future generations.

The facts may be uncomfortable, but facts they remain: Every time you and millions of others write a check to a fossil fuel company, which is every single month if you still use "natural" gas at your home, you are a major part of the problem.

Period.

“Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.”

― Anna Lappe

If we are to have a usable planet for others, then things need to change. As an example, you could buy EV's, get solar panels, and STOP SENDING MONEY to anyone selling you fossil fuels, and then dumping the real cost of those fossil fuels on others (these are called externalities).

The evidence has been clear for decades: burning fossil fuels is an experiment that will end very, very poorly. The sooner we get off of fossil fuels, the greater our chances of having a usable planet.

I'm sorry that it might inconvenience you to replace your fossil fuel appliances for others, but please do so ASAP. We have no choice. Now, more than ever, we need the educated, intelligent, and well informed to ACT--and that should describe everyone posting on a Tesla forum. This is because never in human history have so many been so easily fooled, by so few, with so very little:

Climate of Doubt

http://merchantsofdoubtmovie.com/

Thank you.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Oh my, I am so sorry that "it would not be good for [you.]"

The problem is that you and I don't own the planet, we are simply caretakers for future generations.

The facts may be uncomfortable, but facts they remain: Every time you and millions of others write a check to a fossil fuel company, which is every single month if you still use "natural" gas at your home, you are a major part of the problem.

Period.

“Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.”

― Anna Lappe

If we are to have a usable planet for others, then things need to change. As an example, you could buy EV's, get solar panels, and STOP SENDING MONEY to anyone selling you fossil fuels, and then dumping the real cost of those fossil fuels on others (these are called externalities).

The evidence has been clear for decades: burning fossil fuels is an experiment that will end very, very poorly. The sooner we get off of fossil fuels, the greater our chances of having a usable planet.

I'm sorry that it might inconvenience you to replace your fossil fuel appliances for others, but please do so ASAP. We have no choice. Now, more than ever, we need the educated, intelligent, and well informed to ACT--and that should describe everyone posting on a Tesla forum. This is because never in human history have so many been so easily fooled, by so few, with so very little:

Climate of Doubt

Sony Pictures Classics presents 'Merchants of Doubt'

Thank you.

I keep asking where you live. Switching to all electric does not necessarily reduce GHG. After the sun goes down in CA, guess where most of the electric production comes from? Natural Gas. Many other states still operate coal plants. Compared to other fossil fuels. NG is the cleanest. So if you live in another state, you could be increasing GHG by swithcing to all electric unless you are entirely off grid.
For my own part, I own an EV, other car is Hybrid, I have an 11.7 kW solar, and 3 PWs

I keep asking where you live. Switching to all electric does not necessarily reduce GHG. After the sun goes down in CA, guess where most of the electric production comes from? Natural Gas. Many other states still operate coal plants. Compared to other fossil fuels. NG is the cleanest. So if you live in another state, you could be increasing GHG by swithcing to all electric unless you are entirely off grid.
For my own part, I own an EV, other car is Hybrid, I have an 11.7 kW solar, and 3 PWs

We live in a deregulated power part of Texas so we've chosen MP2 Energy which sources ALL of its power from renewables, and certainly so for our plan:

Residential Solar Buyback Program in Texas | MP2 Energy

If Powerwalls were available in 2013, we might have purchased some, but with so much excess wind power at night in Texas, the grid is our battery and we get 100 cents on the dollar for the energy we push back on to the grid.

Our bill for the past 13 months TOTALS under $30, this with two MS's in the garage. (The SEER 20 HVAC's will help reduce it even further come next summer.)

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
Switching to all electric does not necessarily reduce GHG.

It will in the vast majority of places and in the
minority it will soon. The switch to all electric usually means heat pumps which use 1 unit of electricity to provide 3 or 4 units of heat. So even if the electricity is generated from fools fuel you're still reducing GHGs overall.

Let's run the numbers...

1kWh Coal => 0.3kWh electricity => -12% transmission losses => 0.26kWh => Heat pump with COP of 4 => 1.04 kWh of heat

VS

1kWh of Natural gas => Condensing gas furnace with COP of 0.96 => 0.96kWh of heat

Induction cooktops are also FAR more efficient than gas cooktops. They use ~50% less energy.

Last edited:
We live in a deregulated power part of Texas so we've chosen MP2 Energy which sources ALL of its power from renewables, and certainly so for our plan:

Residential Solar Buyback Program in Texas | MP2 Energy

If Powerwalls were available in 2013, we might have purchased some, but with so much excess wind power at night in Texas, the grid is our battery and we get 100 cents on the dollar for the energy we push back on to the grid.

Our bill for the past 13 months TOTALS under $30, this with two MS's in the garage. (The SEER 20 HVAC's will help reduce it even further come next summer.)

Does MP2 have their own distribution? They cannot direct renewable electrons to your home. The electrons can come from any production source including coal

It will in the vast majority of places and in the minority it will soon. The switch to all electric usually means heat pumps which use 1 unit of electricity to provide 3 or 4 units of heat. So even if the electricity is generated from fools fuel you're still reducing GHGs overall.

Let's run the numbers...

1kWh Coal => 0.3kWh electricity => -12% transmission losses => 0.26kWh => Heat pump with COP of 4 => 1.04 kWh of heat

VS

1kWh of Natural gas => Condensing gas furnace with COP of 0.96 => 0.96kWh of heat

Induction cooktops are also FAR more efficient than gas cooktops. They use ~50% less energy.

the calc with costs is that NG stove top is 50% less costs

I was actually just shopping around. These induction stoves are really intriguing. Seems like the best way to go would be to buy a cooktop and install that into your counter-top. They only cost ~$400.
Our Frigidaire inductive range cost about $800, two years ago, when I ordered it online. For camping at sites with electricity, and for motel rooms, I bought a single inductive "burner" on Amazon for under $50. It's not as fast as our stovetop, as it is limited to drawing a maximum of 1800W, but it works great on a standard 120V outlet. If anyone on a budget wants to start doing inductive cooking, just buy one of those, and leave it on your countertop. We got a package deal on the pots and pans, a whole set for maybe $150.

I was actually just shopping around. These induction stoves are really intriguing. Seems like the best way to go would be to buy a cooktop and install that into your counter-top. They only cost ~$400.

Not for much longer :)

Power sector consumed 30% less coal in first-half 2020 than in first-half 2019

the energy cost is 50% less for a thermal unit in my area accounting for efficiency
There is no way that MP2 can guarantee the electrons going to your home are from renewable sources unless they have their own private distribution lines

There is no way that MP2 can guarantee the electrons going to your home are from renewable sources unless they have their own private distribution lines

... they don't have to. But the grid gets cleaner everyday while the fools fuel line feeding a home that's not yet fully electric does not. Electrification needs to be a priority. It's increasingly absurd that we intentionally pipe an explosive gas into our homes with all the alternatives available.

Back to original topic (ahem!), we had our final inspection by the city approved!! Inspector told me that Tesla is honest in fixing the exceptions...told me that some of the smaller outfits do occasionally pull fast ones to get things approved. Good to know!

Reactions: SMAlset
Back to original topic (ahem!), we had our final inspection by the city approved!! Inspector told me that Tesla is honest in fixing the exceptions...told me that some of the smaller outfits do occasionally pull fast ones to get things approved. Good to know!

Congrats! I'm still waiting for Tesla to schedule a follow up inspection after the first one failed. I think they are waiting for the updated design to be approved.

Congrats! I'm still waiting for Tesla to schedule a follow up inspection after the first one failed. I think they are waiting for the updated design to be approved.

Here’s my advice...call the city to see where the approval is at. Sometimes, the city sits on things. For the original inspection, they had the plans approved but didn’t call Tesla to pick it up for a couple of weeks. I found this out when I called so then, alerted Tesla that the plans were approved.

Also, keep contacting (may feel like badgering) your project advisor and the inspection coordinator to give you updates. My project advisor is awesome, but the inspection coordinator was not responsive. So I called the scheduling team to escalate contacting the inspection coordinator with a copy to her manager.

You really do have to be your own project manager on this unfortunately because their sales have gone through the roof.

Also, check with your project adviser to see if the final photos match the plans. Ours didn’t so that took us back a step of Tesla updating their plans and resubmitting to the city.