Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did prices get cut? Just saw 15k drop.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD is not worth the $20k imo... I hardly used it because I felt more stressed when engaged.
I tend to agree. The doubling of the cost of FSD makes it a difficult proposition. Even at $10K it was a large expense, and to be fair, while it's getting better it's still not at a level to justify even the $10K price. Couple that with the possibility of a major hardware change required for an upgraded FSD in the near future to be fully functional (new radar, cameras, etc) will it be another expense for those who bought into it? Now, if it were subscription based, it may be more "affordable" but again it's going to depend upon pricing, restrictions, contractual obligations and potential out of pocket costs for hardware upgrades.

Reactions: ZooSean
I tend to agree. The doubling of the cost of FSD makes it a difficult proposition. Even at $10K it was a large expense, and to be fair, while it's getting better it's still not at a level to justify even the $10K price. Couple that with the possibility of a major hardware change required for an upgraded FSD in the near future to be fully functional (new radar, cameras, etc) will it be another expense for those who bought into it? Now, if it were subscription based, it may be more "affordable" but again it's going to depend upon pricing, restrictions, contractual obligations and potential out of pocket costs for hardware upgrades.
100%! Only if FSD can achieve LV 3+ autonomy or else it's gimmicky at best. I thought I got ripped off when I paid around $9k for my 2018 M3.

Reactions: cdswm3
I wonder how the used market will respond to this huge price cut.... I'm sure some dealers are losing big on this.
Not yet. As far as it's known there's not a glut of used cars on the market, nor a large new inventory stocked up somewhere. It's a question of whether demand is still there or has it tapered off under the financial uncertainty that's ongoing.

FSD is not worth the $20k imo... I hardly used it because I felt more stressed when engaged.
yes, for me, I also would not pay that much. In fact, even when it was at its cheapest price years ago, I didn't want to buy it and then discovered I got it for free anyway (as a consultant). However, I do use it all the time on my long trips in the older Tesla and I feel less stressed. So, I see opinions are all over the map. Some like it, some don't, some people pay lots of money for it and some won't. I guess it is like any other product.

I wonder how the used market will respond to this huge price cut.... I'm sure some dealers are losing big on this.
The used market should drop as well. Oh, and to add; Moreover, I wonder about what other manufacturers of new cars will do. The wife is waiting to get the Lyriq AWD. Maybe GM will cut the price a bit or maybe they won't. Will be interesting to see what other manufacturers do over time.

Reactions: FlyF4
The used market should drop as well. Oh, and to add; Moreover, I wonder about what other manufacturers of new cars will do. The wife is waiting to get the Lyriq AWD. Maybe GM will cut the price a bit or maybe they won't. Will be interesting to see what other manufacturers do over time.
In a sales pool that is arguably shrinking as we head into a recessionary period, Elon seems to be doing a strategic move by trying to capture a larger portion of it through aggressive pricing. He can afford a larger margin haircut than KIA, Hyundai, GM etc... whom either sell at a loss or barely earn a profit on their EVs today. This positions the OEMs in a tight spot, where if forced to lower prices, they will have less cash to reinvest into their EV program... if they don't lower prices, the value proposition of their cars becomes challenged with the risk of market share loss...
So while TSLA margins are compressed, it may be generating sufficient cash that can be used towards improving their cars. Post recession, say 2024/2025, Tsla will hopefully come out the other end ahead relative to the incumbent OEMs

In a sales pool that is arguably shrinking as we head into a recessionary period, Elon seems to be doing a strategic move by trying to capture a larger portion of it through aggressive pricing. He can afford a larger margin haircut than KIA, Hyundai, GM etc... whom either sell at a loss or barely earn a profit on their EVs today. This positions the OEMs in a tight spot, where if forced to lower prices, they will have less cash to reinvest into their EV program... if they don't lower prices, the value proposition of their cars becomes challenged with the risk of market share loss...
So while TSLA margins are compressed, it may be generating sufficient cash that can be used towards improving their cars. Post recession, say 2024/2025, Tsla will hopefully come out the other end ahead relative to the incumbent OEMs
interesting seeing the different clientele that Tesla has and other manufacturers