Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hips...Easier to get in and out of a Model Y than a Model 3/

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RSpanner

Sep 3, 2021
Oregon
Just started having issues with mainly getting out of our Model 3. Did some stupid things involving a 10' ladder and cutting branches with a chain saw...looks like the damage is not going away. Age is the factor. Anyone ?

even with 'Easy Access' fully moving the steering wheel up and away, the M3 is demonstrably more difficult getting into and out of.
For me, getting out is the challenge. And I'm only 6' and 200lbs. I used to be athletic.....
Yeah, I used to run a 4:06 mile 50 years ago...but now I am constantly pinching nerves and my left hip feels like it is out of joint ( it is not ) need some easier ingress and exit. Of course, our 2021 Model 3, awd, with 24K is worth maybe half of the original price. Wonder if I can wait until the Refresh of the Y to get one. Sorry, just anxious...

Upvote 0
When I dropped off my MYP for service the other week, they gave me an M3 as a loaner. In the one day I had it, I smashed the side of my back against the roof line effectively every time I tried to get in. I’m 6” (unless I shrank, I’m 46 as of today) and a little under 200 lbs (how much depends on when I just ate and/or used the washroom).

Well, if you consider that the Y uses the same seats as the 3 (not sure after after refreshes), but on risers, the seats are already higher. With the higher seat, the door opening has to be bigger or at least taller. The Y should also have a higher ground clearance, so assuming similar battery thickness, then the seat has even more added to the height difference from the ground.

So less getting down to get to the seat and folding yourself to get through the door in the Y.

So yeah, I’m just repeating what others have said, it’s definitely easier to get in and out of the Y compared to the 3. Well, maybe unless you’re short.

Reactions: RSpanner
Upvote 0
Yeah, I used to run a 4:06 mile 50 years ago...but now I am constantly pinching nerves and my left hip feels like it is out of joint ( it is not ) need some easier ingress and exit. Of course, our 2021 Model 3, awd, with 24K is worth maybe half of the original price. Wonder if I can wait until the Refresh of the Y to get one. Sorry, just anxious...
I ran a Chevy Avalanche for 350K miles. What a breeze getting in/out. My torso never twisted......
However, my hips didn't appreciate sitting all those miles, even though the seats were good.

Upvote 0
Just started having issues with mainly getting out of our Model 3. Did some stupid things involving a 10' ladder and cutting branches with a chain saw...looks like the damage is not going away. Age is the factor. Anyone ?
I have arthritis in my hip. We have a 2020 MYLR and I have no issues getting in & out.
Had an S and a 3 as loaners in the past, and both were too low for me for longer than just loaners.

Reactions: RSpanner
Upvote 0
70 yr old guy here with 2 spinal fusions...
I test drove a M3
I bought 2 Model Y's

Upvote 0