Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla match your Carmax quote on your Tesla trade-in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got a low ball offer on our Tesla trade-in. Our Advisor told us to go to Carmax and get an offer and that they would pay whatever Carmax offered. We then went through Carmax and got offered a few thousand more. We took the Carmax offer back to Tesla. After a week later Tesla came back, said they had been mistaken, and meeting Carmax offers only applies to non-Teslas. Is that true? Has anyone had Tesla meet a Carmax quote for a Tesla trade in recently?

Thanks.

• Disagree
Reactions: ghostbusta
We got a low ball offer on our Tesla trade-in. Our Advisor told us to go to Carmax and get an offer and that they would pay whatever Carmax offered. We then went through Carmax and got offered a few thousand more. We took the Carmax offer back to Tesla. After a week later Tesla came back, said they had been mistaken, and meeting Carmax offers only applies to non-Teslas. Is that true? Has anyone had Tesla meet a Carmax quote for a Tesla trade in recently?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Tesla gave me a seriously low trade in offer on my Range Rover - tried Vroom who offered more and thought - let me try a 5 day eBay auction, nothing to lose. I sold it quickly and painlessly for 50% more than Tesla’s offer.

Might be something for you to consider rather than losing out on thousands with trade ins.

Thank you, I really appreciate the suggestion. This is our fourth Tesla and has not gone smoothly, honestly I can attest to being a little frustrated by the poor communication and mis-information. I know it will be a great car, but the transaction has been rocky. I can’t imagine what impression a first time Tesla buyer would be thinking.

I was told that same thing. Carmax came in $2000 below Tesla on a low mileage 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. I think everyone is disappointed when they find out that their used cars, no matter how good the condition is, have depreciated so much.

Reactions: GOVA

Thanks.

No direct experience but what you have reported I have read elsewhere.

No one is happy at what Tesla gives for trade ins.

Thanks.
I was one of the lucky ones when Tesla told that they would match vroom offer for my 90D Tesla trade in(which was 6500$ more than Tesla's offer)!. I have never heard of Tesla matching any other offer for Tesla trade ins, but somehow I got lucky.

Thank you, I really appreciate the suggestion. This is our fourth Tesla and has not gone smoothly, honestly I can attest to being a little frustrated by the poor communication and mis-information. I know it will be a great car, but the transaction has been rocky. I can’t imagine what impression a first time Tesla buyer would be thinking.
Just a random THANKS. You seem to be supplying Texas with used Teslas.

To my surprise and bewilderment Tesla refused to match the car max quote on my 2016 MS ap-1 Tesla trade-in., I am still trying to figure out how to convey to them that this is a monumentally bad move on a few fronts.

1. The message that it is delivering to existing Tesla owners is that Tesla has no interest in making our upgrade experiences smooth with Tesla. Because we are being forced to deal with multiple parties if we want to upgrade our Tesla's.
2. They typically low ball us with their quotes and when they do it feels like they are going against Elon's "Promise" that Tesla's will hold value at least as well as Mercedes.
3. Them not wanting their cars back for resale purposes really concerns me, if they don't want them back and are not confident that they of all people or organizations can resell them why would we want their cars or to be stuck with them in the future?
4. etc.

They would not match Carmax on our Tesla either. I appealed it up the chain and was told they no longer match Carmax for Teslas, only for non-Teslas. Weird, cause it would be a safe bet to use the Carmax quote, as well as allow the owner to benefit from the tax benefit of using it as a trade.