Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla really lay off their entire Supercharger staff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard about it here. Not that Elecktrek has a perfect journalistic record, but they're better than Jalopnik at least......

If it's true, it's proof positive that Musk needs to be replaced as CEO. Pause hiring, cut some chaff, cull some bad apples sure. Axe a core competency and brand differentiator that's essential to your long term mission? Absolute idiocy.

I heard about it here. Not that Elecktrek has a perfect journalistic record, but they're better than Jalopnik at least......

If it's true, it's proof positive that Musk needs to be replaced as CEO. Pause hiring, cut some chaff, cull some bad apples sure. Axe a core competency and brand differentiator that's essential to your long term mission? Absolute idiocy.
Just seems insane with the ongoing expansion.

i just read that Tesla sent out a an email informing employees that they laid off the entire 500 employee Supercharger Network staff. Can anyone confirm this?
The Supercharger team should be rewarded for building out the best charge network in the world, bare none.

This from Teslarati.
It would not just be the executives who would be leaving the company, as the report also claimed that Tinucci and Ho’s teams would be affected by Musk’s workforce reduction. As noted by Reuters, these reportedly include the 500 workers who work in the Tesla Supercharger team. Tesla’s public policy team, which was previously led by former executive Rohan Patel, will reportedly be cut as well.
Two Tesla execs to leave amid Musk's "hardcore" cost and workforce reduction: report

Reactions: RedOctober
The only scenario where this makes any sense is if there is a buyer who didn't want the team as part of the deal. I don't think any of the major EV charging network operators have the cash or resources to make that work. But given BP's order for branded Supercharges, there might be a possibility. Okay, I guess the other possibility could be Elon is being Elong. Or, entirely possible so hear me out, rabid click bait sites are latching on to bits of data that are completely unconfirmed.

Reactions: SWCrypto
The entire team has indeed been fired, all emails bouncing, all new EV charging projects scrapped, no going back to mothball and start it up again as the teams with years of experience are gone. Such an overreaction by Musk and a very big butterfly effect incoming on the whole EV market.

Musk has crashed the ship into the rocks, with his hands on the steering.

Latest update:

"Elon fires all Tesla employees, will operate business as one-man-show. Board agrees with decision."

I don't own TSLA, just a Model 3. For years, I thought of Elon as a visionary that was doing good things. It's been years since I've seen him do anything that makes sense to me.

I suspect he *actually* lost his mind somewhere right around the time he started buying shares of TWTR. Since he's always been a bit nutty, no one could tell that anything changes, so they just let him continue making decisions.

I wonder if this is the same strategy he used at Twitter? Lay off everybody, figure out who was actually doing work and then hire them back?
Not sure but I have been following the construction of several Superchargers in various cities and noticed several has been completed for months but have not opened. Not sure what the heck was going on with those location but this news may have something to do with it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Falcon73 and cdswm3
Not sure but I have been following the construction of several Superchargers in various cities and noticed several has been completed for months but have not opened. Not sure what the heck was going on with those location but this news may have something to do with it.
A lot of delays are due to problems on the power company side. It's also not clear if this division included the technicians that actually commission the sites.

Reactions: garrity and cdswm3
Reactions: edseloh
This all sounds kinda like the dumb crap my employer pulled in 2019 and 2020, laying off huge swaths of employees and even entire groups in a panicked knee-jerk reaction to not meeting quarterly numbers. Then a few months later it was "oh crap why did we do that?".

I was just at the service center picking up a part yesterday and the guy at the counter said they'd just recently laid off half the staff and were hiring some new folks. I'm glad he survived because we've worked with him before, but dang...

Reactions: Brolan
This all sounds kinda like the dumb crap my employer pulled in 2019 and 2020, laying off huge swaths of employees and even entire groups in a panicked knee-jerk reaction to not meeting quarterly numbers. Then a few months later it was "oh crap why did we do that?".

I was just at the service center picking up a part yesterday and the guy at the counter said they'd just recently laid off half the staff and were hiring some new folks. I'm glad he survived because we've worked with him before, but dang...
To be fair, most service centers I've personally experienced (several) over the years would benefit from a pushing down of the little silver handle and starting with a fresh bowl of water. Massive cuts don't always spell negative things on the horizon. Quite the opposite, actually.

Apply that same logic to the SC division and perhaps this, too, is the first step in what could be several steps forward in an otherwise stagnant productivity phase. I realize lots of Superchargers are being built but we truly have no idea the resources being applied to do so.

This could be the case of a massively broken system with all principals on the take, so to speak. If those in charge at the top have been wasteful and non-complaint for years it's possible that all those below them exercise these same undesirable attributes.

It could also have something to do with how the resources are coming in now that NACS has been adopted as the official charging protocol and the .gov has their hands in things financially. Again, we don't know all of the data in order to make informed opinions.

To say it's (mostly) all conjecture and guess work at this point would be an understatement when we weren't even 100% sure the thing even happened even though it was reported. Assuming it is, this could very well be the pushing of the little silver handle to activate progression I mentioned ealier.

I for one will reserve flying off the handle in any direction until I know more. My real question is: will this move help my "auto" wipers work any better?

i just read that Tesla sent out a an email informing employees that they laid off the entire 500 employee Supercharger Network staff. Can anyone confirm this?
That is what is being reported. And this is moronic. WHY would you fire the one department that has had nothing but a sterling reputation for customer service? This stinks of "they were making too much money, time to replace them with lower paid new hires".

The only scenario where this makes any sense is if there is a buyer who didn't want the team as part of the deal. I don't think any of the major EV charging network operators have the cash or resources to make that work. But given BP's order for branded Supercharges, there might be a possibility. Okay, I guess the other possibility could be Elon is being Elong. Or, entirely possible so hear me out, rabid click bait sites are latching on to bits of data that are completely unconfirmed.
I would find any offer by BP to be highly suspect. The only reason for BP to buy Tesla's network would be to kill it off with neglect. Of course, this is what it looks like Musk just did.

Reactions: GeoX750 and cdswm3