Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the dealer just trash my Winter tires taking them off? Please take a quick look

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
Just got back from the Tesla dealer which is always awesome and treats me great.

I grabbed the tire out the car and felt something odd on the edge through the bag. Dumb luck where I grabbed. There's a huge gouge out of the tire. I checked the others and one more has the issue but not as bad. Tesla installed these tires in the Fall and took them off just now. While I have tagged some potholes I've never hit anything that was enough to mess up the wheel or get a sidewall bubble. Do you guys think this was done with whatever tool is used to remove the tire and the mechanic just messed up somehow? Would this even hold on a wheel in this state? I put the tires back in the car and may drive back there after work. I'm not a big complainer but I can't imagine how this was done.

I posted in this section for a more "tire educated" populace. lol

Thank you!

Best,
Gene

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 12.28.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 12.28.28 PM.png

Last edited:
Would tires in this state be capable of holding pressure? Not that I'd ever reinstall these but, if they wouldn't, at least I would let know if it happened today or previously.
It might but the question isn't if it happened before or after. It's that it happened at all, the rubber compound may have degraded which led to the bead cracking during uninstall. The tire's got to at least be durable enough to withstand the tire machine, again, assuming the tire tech didn't damage it... but again, the tires got to have enough elasticity to not break apart. You might be lucky that it cracked off now instead seasons later in cold and you'd really be screwed.

Reactions: phantasms
Would tires in this state be capable of holding pressure? Not that I'd ever reinstall these but, if they wouldn't, at least I would let know if it happened today or previously.
It looks like the wheel seals slightly above the broken out parts, so it is possible that they would still hold pressure. But I wouldn't trust them.

But in any case with the damage inside the wheel there is no way a pothole, or driving on them, could have done that without destroying the wheel.

I presume it's easier to put the tires on, right? I hope my new tires don't look like this inside the wheel. Last week I got awesome MPP coilovers installed and just now Summer tires, so, I'm about to test the limits of physics. :p
Usually, the tire will get destroyed when uninstalling it from the wheel, but it can happen when you're installing them as well. The older the machine and the stiffer or shorter profile of the sidewall, the more likely it is to happen.

Until you put them on and the car starts complaining about the difference in tread depth. But maybe they aren't worn that much.
I’ll put the two new ones on the rear. If it doesn’t like it, burnouts will be taking place until it’s happy. Track mode FTW. “It’s for the computer officer sir. It’s a safety thing.”

• Funny
Reactions: jmaddr and MP3Mike
I had them Destroy the inner barrel of one of my 20” Stilletos by more than likely using a screwdriver and a mallet to remove the old balance weights, sheared a 1” square patch of paint down to the metal right off. I was shocked. Didn’t notice it until way later when I changed out my summers for winters. (I have 2 full sets of 20”s one with Michelin PS4s and the other with Michelin PA4s). I don’t know what I’m going to do to fix it in a few weeks when I put the Summers back on. I don’t even want to take the rim and tire out of the wheel bag.

Ski

Do yourself a huge favor and do not put winters on and off. Just buy cheap dedicated winter wheels. Leave the tires on them and swap. Been doing that on all of my cars for decades. Ultimately cheaper/faster/easier and in my control and on my schedule. And it makes it really easy for me to use really narrow winter ice/snow tires for both range and traction (counterintuitive but the right answer. Wide is worse). And then have a nice fat set of great forged summers.