Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the Mid-range and Long-range prices dropped $2900??

Did the Mid-range and Long-range prices dropped $2900??

• Yes

Votes: 35 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Price drop in different amount

Votes: 6 11.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggnykk

Feb 7, 2016
Earth
If my memory serve me correctly, the 264 mile Mid-range Model 3 base price was $42,900 before incentives, and now is $40,000 today.
The 310 mile dual motor Long-range Model 3 base price was $49,900 before incentives, and now is $47,000 today.

Can anyone confirm the old prices?

If that's the case, Model 3 has made massive price cuts this year. $2000 cuts in early Jan, $1100 just like a month ago, and now $2900. So total of $6000 price cut within 2 months!! Yes, you got $7500 tax credit last year, and now is only $3750 this year. But I would much rather take the $6000 cash saving.

Last edited:
the LR RWD was only 49,000 as far back as July of last year. Not sure if it was higher before then or not. But that's when I ordered and got my confirmation with price quote. So a 2k drop in price for that particular model.

/edit correction, the current price for an LR RWD is 43k not 47k, so it's a 6k price drop in 8months time.

Prices dropped, but Tesla decoupled features from Auto Pilot in order to bring that price down to $3k.

$3k Autopilot: Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.
$5k FSD (on top of $3k AP):
  • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
  • Coming later this year:
  • Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.
So now the autopilot features you could've gotten yesterday, or before 2pm PT, for $5k (Navigate on AP, Autopark, Sumoon), cost you $8k.

I get why they did it, but it kinda sucks for those of us who want the full feature set without full FSD.

By my calculation, the actual price drop is $1,500 even after the "increase" in the cost of AP. Which is still awesome.

the LR RWD was only 49,000 as far back as July of last year. Not sure if it was higher before then or not. But that's when I ordered and got my confirmation with price quote. So a 2k drop in price for that particular model.

/edit correction, the current price for an LR RWD is 43k not 47k, so it's a 6k price drop in 8months time.
If you are talking about the 325 mile Long range REAR wheel drive model base price, it is now $43000 today!

…and when you consider that people who bought the car last year were eligible for an extra $3,750 in the tax credit, you're down to $2,250 effectively except for the retired folks and others who couldn't use the whole credit.

Plus paint is more expensive now, as is the delivery/doc fee.

I just did the math and I'd only have saved $1,550 by waiting until now. There's no way that I'd have waited an extra 15 months or so for a $1,550 discount.

Last edited:
Prices dropped, but Tesla decoupled features from Auto Pilot in order to bring that price down to $3k.

$3k Autopilot: Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.
$5k FSD (on top of $3k AP):
  • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
  • Coming later this year:
  • Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.
So now the autopilot features you could've gotten yesterday, or before 2pm PT, for $5k (Navigate on AP, Autopark, Sumoon), cost you $8k.

I get why they did it, but it kinda sucks for those of us who want the full feature set without full FSD.

By my calculation, the actual price drop is $1,500 even after the "increase" in the cost of AP. Which is still awesome.
Interesting! thanks for explaining!

Tesla's price drops sting more than traditional dealership way of selling cars. Tesla essentially keeps dropping the msrp of their cars while most cars sold through dealerships never have significant fluctuations in msrp pricing but offer discounts at dealer so you don't think about it as much. My LR RWD was $54k w/ EAP and now its $46k. So even accounting for the federal tax credit it's cheaper to have purchased now. Such is the life of an early adopter I guess, happy for the new buyers who get an awesome car as a great price.

Reactions: geometro
Tesla's price drops sting more than traditional dealership way of selling cars. Tesla essentially keeps dropping the msrp of their cars while most cars sold through dealerships never have significant fluctuations in msrp pricing but offer discounts at dealer so you don't think about it as much. My LR RWD was $54k w/ EAP and now its $46k. So even accounting for the federal tax credit it's cheaper to have purchased now. Such is the life of an early adopter I guess, happy for the new buyers who get an awesome car as a great price.

Key here is you can't configure for EAP, only regular AP.

Tesla sure lost me as a future customer. Way to screw early adopters. I’ll be looking at other manufactures and their EVs.

$8k drop in less than a year sucks!
But I don't think the traditional dealership pricing system is better, the actual real world transaction price is what it matters. Saying your car price is $60000 MSRP, but it can be bought at $50000 after negotiation is just a complete bullshit and stupid game.