Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the Mid-range and Long-range prices dropped $2900??

Did the Mid-range and Long-range prices dropped $2900??

• Yes

Votes: 35 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Price drop in different amount

Votes: 6 11.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps the demand just isn't there at the old price points.

Yeah. I think they did as best they could at the old $45k starting price. $35k opens up a whole new market. 5 year total cost of ownership for the $35k car is actually the same or less than a base Accord, Camry, or Prius and just slightly more than a base Civic or Corolla. This is game changing.

Reactions: gilscales
Sorry to continue:
Total in Dec 2018 $59,500
Total today: $51,500 (only difference is Autopilot vs my enhanced Autopilot)

If include tax incentives:
Dec 2018: $59500 - 7500 (Fed) - 5000 (state) Total: $47000
Today: $51500 - 3750 (Fed) - 5000 (state) = Total $42750
Difference: $4250
This does not include the higher taxes I paid on the car given a higher sale price.

That is a difference of 9% in 60 days, again even accounting for the drop in tax incentives. No substantial consumer product drops this precipitously. I am happy with the car, their business model, and their mission, but I frankly feel betrayed. I suspect most owners will be incensed.

They say they have to close stores to support the $35k car. It seems to me it would have been wise to maintain the existing pricing to help offset the $35k model if it is that much of a boat anchor to the company. It's great they pass along the savings, but from what I read so far, they need the funds more than the current buyers do.

Lowering prices seems to just anger the previous buyers anyway. Perhaps the demand just isn't there at the old price points.
I personally think Tesla has lowered the price too much prematurely. They pulled forward so much demand to last year that they should totally expect the Q1 sales this year would be terrible. I think the demand would come back in Q2 gradually even if they maintain the higher pricing yesterday.

I bought my Midrange no options Model 3 last October instead of waiting for what felt like a semi-mythical $35K SR base. I was satisfied with the price then, so I’m satisfied now. It’s all perspective. I personally have a hard time being upset that Tesla is enabling more people to drive electric, and particularly that a new group of mass market buyers can experience the Model 3. I love this car. :)

I do feel for any Tesla employees that get laid off as part of the restructuring to achieve efficiencies. I wish they’d have a program to train and move some of them into the service side.

this is just ridiculous. I paid 50k after rebates for my AWD dual motor. And now I can get the same care with Full Self Driving for $46450

$3550 cheaper with more features!
I just bought this before in December to get the federal rebates.

Potentially $6-7 difference after purchasing FSD add on to my enhanced autopilot

A performance AWD is 55k after rebates. Basically if I waited 2 months I could have gotten a Performance Model 3 for roughly the same price. I seriously dont even know how to absorb this right now. Needless to say very upset

They say they have to close stores to support the $35k car. It seems to me it would have been wise to maintain the existing pricing to help offset the $35k model if it is that much of a boat anchor to the company. It's great they pass along the savings, but from what I read so far, they need the funds more than the current buyers do.

Lowering prices seems to just anger the previous buyers anyway. Perhaps the demand just isn't there at the old price points.

I’m sure the analysts at Tesla weighed all the different supply and demand scenarios and believed the economies of scale to be viable at the updated price points.

If my memory serve me correctly, the 264 mile Mid-range Model 3 base price was $42,900 before incentives, and now is $40,000 today.
The 310 mile dual motor Long-range Model 3 base price was $49,900 before incentives, and now is $47,000 today.

Can anyone confirm the old prices?

If that's the case, Model 3 has made massive price cuts this year. $2000 cuts in early Jan, $1100 just like a month ago, and now $2900. So total of $6000 price cut within 2 months!! Yes, you got $7500 tax credit last year, and now is only $3750 this year. But I would much rather take the $6000 cash saving.

My MVPA says I paid $49k + $5k for EAP + $3k for FSD + $1k for MSM paint + $1k for delivery & documentation in January 2018. Total of $59,000 + tax. Actual savings had I waited until now would be $1,550 because of the increased paint cost, increased delivery and doc cost, and tax credit reduction. I'm glad I bought when I did. Hell, I've saved more than that in fuel by a huge margin, but more importantly, I've been a happier person.

I’m sure the analysts at Tesla weighed all the different supply and demand scenarios and believed the economies of scale to be viable at the updated price points.
the problem with lowering prices is that once u lowered it too much, it would be impossible to go back up again forever. Tesla should have gradually decreased the price in 1000 or 2000 increment to test where the perfect price point should be based on demand.

I bought my Midrange no options Model 3 last October instead of waiting for what felt like a semi-mythical $35K SR base. I was satisfied with the price then, so I’m satisfied now. It’s all perspective. I personally have a hard time being upset that Tesla is enabling more people to drive electric, and particularly that a new group of mass market buyers can experience the Model 3. I love this car. :)

I do feel for any Tesla employees that get laid off as part of the restructuring to achieve efficiencies. I wish they’d have a program to train and move some of them into the service side.

I agree with you but..
ordered the same config in november, delivered on december 22 : mid range, black, aero for 60k$can. today its 54k$. Just cant feel great about it right now. :(

My MVPA says I paid $49k + $5k for EAP + $3k for FSD + $1k for MSM paint + $1k for delivery & documentation in January 2018. Total of $59,000 + tax. Actual savings had I waited until now would be $1,550 because of the increased paint cost, increased delivery and doc cost, and tax credit reduction. I'm glad I bought when I did. Hell, I've saved more than that in fuel by a huge margin, but more importantly, I've been a happier person.

Odd. I came out with $1,550 when I considered if I had bought FSD and PUP on the P3D. Similarly, I too have been glad to have the car for the last bit (8k miles since September).

In my circumstance, I took a new job that required going from no car to a car. A car was being purchased, and had I purchased anything else, I would likely be considering selling it and buy a Tesla now. My delta would have been at least $1,550 in depreciation and change fees/ect.

I find it hard to believe that other manufactures don't benefit from reduced costs after introducing a new model, they just don't necessarily directly pass much of the savings onto the consumer.

Oh please people - could have, should have, would have!

Nobody buys a car thinking it’s an asset or assumes a guaranteed resale value.

Your glass is half *full*. You’ve been driving one of the best cars on the planet for months now while we’re still waiting and hoping for things like RHD and the $35k version.

This is all wonderful progress and good news.

Reactions: RBowen and Jason_G
Fortunately, I procrastinated and as a result, I'll be able to take advantage of the lower price. Do I buy in the next week, or do I wait to see what the leasing package might be?
You probably have to wait many more months before the leasing option is available. Tesla has said it many times before that the leasing option would affect their capital. (i.e. less money flowing into the company)

This is something I used to deny, but I feel it is true now. Demand just might not be there for a sedan no matter how amazing it is. Market is about SUVs. Tesla seemed so stressed about margins of a 35k model, yet they dropped prices throughout the board to even compensate nearly beyond the $7500 tax credit. They could have simply kept the same pricing scheme if demand was there and just add in a 35k standard range offering without PUP and old customers wouldn't freak out and new customers would get what they wanted.

Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr
This is something I used to deny, but I feel it is true now. Demand just might not be there for a sedan no matter how amazing it is. Market is about SUVs. Tesla seemed so stressed about margins of a 35k model, yet they dropped prices throughout the board to even compensate nearly beyond the $7500 tax credit. They could have simply kept the same pricing scheme if demand was there and just add in a 35k standard range offering without PUP and old customers wouldn't freak out and new customers would get what they wanted.
totally agree