Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the Mid-range and Long-range prices dropped $2900??

Did the Mid-range and Long-range prices dropped $2900??

• Yes

Votes: 35 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Price drop in different amount

Votes: 6 11.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have the option to "Return and reorder"? Granted, it's a hassle but it's better than to take a $3000 hit.
I did not see that option from Tesla account.
upload_2019-3-1_13-43-33.png

I agree. It just feels pretty slimy to nudge folks to take advantage of the tax credit, only to lower prices literally 2 months later, to a price that is less than before.

I also want to touch on this. I was waiting for the Standard model but honestly, didn't read much into what features it would and would not have. When I accompanied a friend of mine to the Tesla Store to test drive his car (he purchased a M3P+) the adviser mentioned that, in addition to guaranteeing the full tax credit, the standard model would include: Halogen head and fog lights, metal roof, cloth and manual seats, no center console storage, slower and the obvious decreased range, no power folding mirrors and smaller 17" wheels. The lack of those features, plus the additional tax credit is what made me decide to get the LR RWD vs the standard w/EAP. Had I know the Standard was actually going to only exclude some of those features (notably, features that would be normally expensive with other manufacturers were included), I would've waited.

It just feels slimy looking back at this now. I don't feel like I was an early adopter and got to drive the car for "a year" before everyone else even knew what it was, like many on the Tesla FB groups are trying to say. I got my car on October 26th, less than two weeks after ordering. There were plenty of Model 3s on the road here in Tampa then, most people I showed it to knew what it was and there wasn't a waiting list to get it. I don't feel like I paid the "I want it first" or the "exclusivity tax" that some keep repeating as if they're foaming at the mouth.

I also want to touch on this. I was waiting for the Standard model but honestly, didn't read much into what features it would and would not have. When I accompanied a friend of mine to the Tesla Store to test drive his car (he purchased a M3P+) the adviser mentioned that, in addition to guaranteeing the full tax credit, the standard model would include: Halogen head and fog lights, metal roof, cloth and manual seats, no center console storage, slower and the obvious decreased range, no power folding mirrors and smaller 17" wheels. The lack of those features, plus the additional tax credit is what made me decide to get the LR RWD vs the standard w/EAP. Had I know the Standard was actually going to only exclude some of those features (notably, features that would be normally expensive with other manufacturers were included), I would've waited.

It just feels slimy looking back at this now. I don't feel like I was an early adopter and got to drive the car for "a year" before everyone else even knew what it was, like many on the Tesla FB groups are trying to say. I got my car on October 26th, less than two weeks after ordering. There were plenty of Model 3s on the road here in Tampa then, most people I showed it to knew what it was and there wasn't a waiting list to get it. I don't feel like I paid the "I want it first" or the "exclusivity tax" that some keep repeating as if they're foaming at the mouth.
Exactly! I was in the same position - there were certain features that were being touted as available only on the LR model. Features that I definitely decided I wanted. I could've gone without the extra range (though I appreciate it now). I put my reservation in with the thought that if not receive the car until almost a year later, but I won't complain about getting it early at all. The LR was definitely a stretch for me from a "spending comfort zone" perspective, so that's the biggest stab for me - I totally would've waited and saved my money I known. Tesla just seems to have an issue with speaking before confirming, and it's kind of a problem.

Let's be honest here....

Certainly all early adopters are a little unhappy with the reduction of the car price....

The rub is that Tesla has been peppering all sales after 7/1/18 with additional free perks.... 6 month free SC (which now I have read has been upgraded to lifetime free) / EAP upgrade to free FSD and Free HW3 (No reason to have 3 software forks) / Software price reductions.

It's tough to maintain a happy face when early adopters supported Tesla so that they could give these perks out to purchasers over the last 6 - 7 months...

Where is the love to those early adopters?

Good. But I took the test drive before I ordered the car. The car is both under me and my wife's name. She never took the test drive. Will that still be qualified for 7 days?

I've lurked on here for awhile and decided to sign up to hopefully help out.

I was/am in a similar situation. I ordered last weekend and took delivery of a AWD+EAP this past Tuesday, 2/26 here in Seattle (Bellevue 20th is the center I used.) After the news Thursday, the exact car I ordered was $2,900 less expensive. Additionally, EAP != FSD and my account was showing the upgrade to FSD was > $0 ($3k initially.)

I went do the SC on Thursday and, quite frankly, it was chaos. Every employee had a different opinion on what might happen. I left with a letter tied to my VIN that indicated the car would get FSD, but it did not specify any pricing and they could not add FSD to my car on my account. The letter made me feel better but it was a pretty vague IOU.

I thought about what I wanted to do and I went back to the SC on Friday with one of two asks:
  1. A letter indicating we'd get a refund
  2. A return of the car
To my surprise, the SC encouraged a return and re-order. I was slightly shocked, as I really cannot think this is the best approach from a cost perspective. Anyway, since I did not test drive (I asked friends instead) I was within my window and they took the car back. Now I am waiting for that process to play out over n weeks so I can order a M3P.

Fair warning - the SC indicated returns are very rare and only one of them knew how to do it.

• Informative
Reactions: niray9 and ggnykk