Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you just buy a Tesla from Hertz Car Rental?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done the entire purchase from home. Buying a car sight unseen is new to me but the dealership seems legit and has a lot of good reviews (Highline Auto Sales). I considered taking a bus to Chicago to see the car and drive it back, but that would have eaten up a whole Saturday and once they said shipping would probably be less than $300 I decided to go that route. They said they do more than half of their car sales out of state and ship them all the time.
Did you actually get the car yet? Also, the price they are advertising excluded the tax credit right? Did they have any crazy add on’s you didn’t approve ? Some of these dealers act like they’ve never even heard of the tax credit, while other dealers advertise the price with the credit already deducted

Did you actually get the car yet? Also, the price they are advertising excluded the tax credit right? Did they have any crazy add on’s you didn’t approve ? Some of these dealers act like they’ve never even heard of the tax credit, while other dealers advertise the price with the credit already deducted
The shipper picked it up this afternoon and it will arrive at my house tomorrow. You're correct that the advertised price excludes the tax credit. There is an Illinois document fee (government paperwork related, $347) then a $1295 "dealer fee." I asked a slight decrease on the price and they knocked the fee down to around $1100. I thought it was just for paperwork but saw it's a DOWC warranty (dealer owned warranty). It looks like a junk warranty though and I think it's just a way to pad their profit a bit while having a lower list price. It covers the paint and interior for 3 years but those companies are notorious for being rip offs and not paying out claims, so I have no illusions that it will provide much benefit to me. Even so, the price is still great. All in with sales tax, title and temp tags, Illinois fees, and the dealer fee/DOWC warranty was a flat $23,000. Shipping is an extra $200-300. As long as they file the IRS paperwork right I expect to get $4000 back next year.

For anyone who's interested they have a ton of Teslas including ones very similar to mine! There is a MSM one for $20,775 before tax credit.

Finally charged 2022 lfp full . It’s showing 264 mile of range . So new was 272 . . Around 3% degradation for 39k mile . It’s cold in Chicago . Is that the correct way of looking at degradation?
This is how I usually estimate it. There may be more accurate ways, like the health test you can run in the service menu but that takes about a full day and the car will fully drain its battery, so kind of a pain if you don't need that info. Only 3% degradation sounds great. I'm not sure what's normal for LFP but my long range is a bit over 10% loss already.

Reactions: harisahmed90
My dealership hadn't added ownership to themselves in the app, so they couldn't do the easier option of sending ownership straight to me. I registered it in the app on my end following Tesla instructions, and the car showed up in my app within an hour. Added on Friday night.

Reactions: Hiline
Those of you guys who bought a Tesla from another dealership, did you go through the same process to transfer ownership and app access as those who bought from Hertz?
I had to call customer service twice . First time I called and asked them to help me transfer ownership, girl was like everything is on the app just do it from the app I was like ok .

Literally the first step from app of changing car name was greyed out . I had to call again and then explained everything. Different lady this time she created a ticket for me and emailed me . I had to reply back with registration, Id and vin number. After 45 min car automatically showed up in my account.

Reactions: Hiline
I had to call customer service twice . First time I called and asked them to help me transfer ownership, girl was like everything is on the app just do it from the app I was like ok .

Literally the first step from app of changing car name was greyed out . I had to call again and then explained everything. Different lady this time she created a ticket for me and emailed me . I had to reply back with registration, Id and vin number. After 45 min car automatically showed up in my account.

Yep, that's exactly how the ownership process works with a Hertz Tesla because you can't change the car name. After the car is in your Tesla account, you will need to factory reset it because it's still running on the Hertz fleet software.

A lot of people seem to be looking for the LR AWDs, which I see one 2022 available near me with 60k miles for just under 25 (which would bring it down to 21k). My inclination was more looking for a RWD with under 50k miles 2022 for under 25k for the tax credit, although none available near me at the moment. The reason I thought that was so that it would still have some basic warranty left under Tesla in case something is wrong with it when I buy it.

Do you guys think AWD/LR is more important than getting one under 50k for the warranty?
I tried looking up details of Hertz's powertrain 1y warranty but can't find any real details on it so far...

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Do you guys think AWD/LR is more important than getting one under 50k for the warranty?
The LR will have a battery warranty for 8 years / 120,000 miles, while the SR is just 8 / 100,000.

It would be nice to have the warranty for bumper to bumper at 4 / 50,000. But it's a really nice jump in speed, comfort, handling, sound system AND range going to the LR. Having owned a Standard Range Model Y for three years I occasionally regret not having more range. Not often, but it would be nice.

I’ll share a story about the Hertz debacle. A few weeks back I was visiting San Antonio. The media attack against electric cars has created a perfect storm that has absolutely crushed the used market. Their scare tactics have absolutely worked and officially swayed buyers who were on the fence into going hybrid many times. So I’m at the “dollar” rental car which I believe is affiliated or owned by hertz. It was a cheap Priceline booking because I wanted lowest price for 6 days. Guy at the counter goes, I can offer you a Kia forte. I said fine I don’t care I’m just driving it for under a week. Then he says snarkily, at least it isn’t electric! Now he didn’t realize his dumb a$$ comment was directed at a person who has not one but two Tesla’s at home. I said well, I actually have one at home. He goes oh, (pause), hopefully your other vehicle is gas powered and I go no I actually have two. What kind of anti ev country have we become when this is taking place? I said well if you are on a trip I can see about not wanting to worry about charging it but at home if you have a garage life is easy with an ev. He didn’t reply.
If you haven't voted yet, be sure to cast your vote at Prediction, in Which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States "Poll".

So back to hertz, we need clarification from someone who actually purchased a used ev from them regarding the published prices on their site. I’m seeing cars listed for 24k that say ev credit. This would be impossible if the car is 28k and they are advertising the ev credit. The tax code says the starting price of the car must be 25,000 or less. I’m 99.9% sure the price advertised is before the ev credit. Which to me means the market is in complete disarray at this moment. You have long range 3s that are 2 years old with 70k miles and 50k miles of battery warranty going for 19,600 after credit. Yes I would absolutely consider a 3 from hertz especially if a large mileage gap existed on the remaining warranty. You have cars that literally have 30 to 50k of warranty left over another 6 year period. It’s borderline sickening to those buyers from a few years back to see Tesla depreciating 33% in 2023. Yes 33% and might get worse. Smfh
Indeed, the requirements are at Used Clean Vehicle Credit | Internal Revenue Service but none of that helps me as I'm single and way above the income cap. My income's also too high for the Credits for new clean vehicles purchased in 2023 or after | Internal Revenue Service. Prior to all these changes, there was no income cap (and also no used EV credit).

As for disarray, indeed. My '22 Niro EV lease runs out at end of Jan 2025. My residual is ~$21.5K so I've been just poking around at used prices to see if it'd make sense to buy it out at the end. When I took a peek at https://www.cars.com/shopping/resul...pe=used&year_max=2022&year_min=2022&zip=90210, the answer was no as there are already '22 Niro EV w/the same trim and equipment level for <$21.5K. BUT, some of the listings list a price with the $4K used tax credit already deducted (which is totally useless for me). So, for those, I have to add $4K back to the price. Some don't say so I'd have to confirm w/them whether they did or not.

And, in a few cases, they list a "teaser" price and in the seller's notes, they require you to take on over $2K of dealer crap. If you visit the dealer's site, they also list the say vehicle with over $2K of dealer crap.

The LR will have a battery warranty for 8 years / 120,000 miles, while the SR is just 8 / 100,000.
Yeah, I get that the LR has the larger warranty range which often negates the higher miles, which is great for these cars...

It would be nice to have the warranty for bumper to bumper at 4 / 50,000. But it's a really nice jump in speed, comfort, handling, sound system AND range going to the LR.
I guess my real concern is buying a car with a major issue outside of the battery and Hertz warranty being useless. I know Hertz isn't trying to intentionally pass on junk, but I'm sure it happens.

Are people getting these checked out before other than just looking over cosmetic things themselves? I wonder if I can have a local service center give it a thorough once over, not sure I would trust a random third-party mechanic....

Yeah, I get that the LR has the larger warranty range which often negates the higher miles, which is great for these cars...

I guess my real concern is buying a car with a major issue outside of the battery and Hertz warranty being useless. I know Hertz isn't trying to intentionally pass on junk, but I'm sure it happens.

Are people getting these checked out before other than just looking over cosmetic things themselves? I wonder if I can have a local service center give it a thorough once over, not sure I would trust a random third-party mechanic....
Main thing is battery and motor . Both are covered under warranty. Other stuff no big deal . Even if it goes bad shouldn’t be a big problem.

How can you be so sure? Can you share any example?
One of the reviews I read the control arms needed replacing...haven't looked around but you don't think any of them may require some maintenance not covered under 8 year warranty? I'm new to Teslas but I'm sure they still have things that need to be replaced from time to time and 60-80k miles is a lot of movement. My ICE car I've had for 10 years barely even has 75k on it...

One of the reviews I read the control arms needed replacing...haven't looked around but you don't think any of them may require some maintenance not covered under 8 year warranty? I'm new to Teslas but I'm sure they still have things that need to be replaced from time to time and 60-80k miles is a lot of movement. My ICE car I've had for 10 years barely even has 75k on it...
My Lexus LS430 has 220,000 miles , if you going to see the folder of how many maintenance parts have been replaced so far you might get a heart attack if you are thinking this much about control arms.