Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you just buy a Tesla from Hertz Car Rental?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I bought a M3LR from a dealership that turned out to be one of the hertz cars. The dealership had six M3LR between their two locations and three had sold within the time span we were there not including mine.

I poked my head around all six and they were in varying conditions from I wouldn't buy this for even 10k to wow I can't believe this was a rental. The worst of the six had severe leatherette bubbling on the seats, steering wheel was flaking, a cracked window, and minor fender damage. All of the cars were priced the same so if you are buying sight unseen make sure to get some interior photos before you pull the trigger. Luckily I was able to snag one of the nicer ones.

None of them included a charger or CCS adapter so if you are driving the car back I'd **highly** recommend getting a CCS adapter beforehand so you can charge the vehicle. I'm still waiting for the ownership to be transferred to my account (this is day #2 now) and until then I cannot use the hertz account to supercharge. Actually funny enough there's a warning on my display saying the super charging is unavailable due to unpaid charges.

In my single drive I've made with the car I was very impressed especially for the price. I do plan on giving it a trial by fire next week when I take it on a trip coast to coast so hopefully that goes well...

If you are going to install an outlet, run the 6/3. Make sure you spend at least $60 on a hubbell or bryant outlet. No $10 lowes special. You only need the conduit when the wire runs along the wall. in the ceiling or walls don't need conduit.

Yesterday I bought a M3LR from a dealership that turned out to be one of the hertz cars. The dealership had six M3LR between their two locations and three had sold within the time span we were there not including mine.

I poked my head around all six and they were in varying conditions from I wouldn't buy this for even 10k to wow I can't believe this was a rental. The worst of the six had severe leatherette bubbling on the seats, steering wheel was flaking, a cracked window, and minor fender damage. All of the cars were priced the same so if you are buying sight unseen make sure to get some interior photos before you pull the trigger. Luckily I was able to snag one of the nicer ones.

None of them included a charger or CCS adapter so if you are driving the car back I'd **highly** recommend getting a CCS adapter beforehand so you can charge the vehicle. I'm still waiting for the ownership to be transferred to my account (this is day #2 now) and until then I cannot use the hertz account to supercharge. Actually funny enough there's a warning on my display saying the super charging is unavailable due to unpaid charges.

In my single drive I've made with the car I was very impressed especially for the price. I do plan on giving it a trial by fire next week when I take it on a trip coast to coast so hopefully that goes well...

Can you share the mileage and pricing of the vehicle you ended up buying? Wonder how these compare to the ones sold directly by Hertz.

Reactions: Doc_Hudson
Bought mine from Des Plaines Hertz in Chicago, Feb 26th. 2022 LR AWD with 58.5k, cost $24.2k before taxes and registration. I went for the LR AWD so that I could buy acceleration boost later. When talking with the sales person, they told me about the 4k credit but did not note that there is an AGI limit of $75k, so unfortunately I will not be able to claim it. They were not doing POS credit at that time.

I was going to pay cash but it had not transferred to my checking account in time, so I did a loan and called my insurance (All State) to add the car. All State emailed me the insurance card, but Hertz would not let me leave with the car because the effective date was the following business day and All State could not change that.

During the test drive I received a warning about low coolant. For my walk around I did notice some chips in the hood, and a few very small PDR'able dents. No floor mats were installed, but carpet and interior looked good, function checked all of the electronics too. All of the wheels are curbed to an almost embarrassing level, and there were no aero covers. One tire was mismatched, but all had decent looking tread. My plan is to get some nice summer wheels and make these winter wheels with Nokians or similar.

I took it directly to the Tesla dealer for an inspection, but they would not look at it as it was not in my name. I left it there and took an Uber home. I followed the instructions earlier in this thread as well as said the car was awaiting service, and the very helpful Tesla rep had it transferred in about 20 minutes. One problem, they transferred the wrong VIN to my Tesla account, LOL. I called them back and they corrected it again and in about 20 minutes it was in my account.

Later during the inspection, Tesla found:
-Cooling leak, 3 o-rings: $1000 (wow, they even listed the o-rings as $0.18 on the order). I had them do this because I didn't know where the leak was or how to purge/burp the lines, and had a 70 mile drive home from Chicago, which is the nearest service center.
-Passenger front drive shaft had a torn boot: $1250 (did myself for $110 from Rock-auto).
-Broken front aero and rear control arm aero: replaced myself with aluminum set from amazon, bought control arm aero used on ebay.

After I got it home and washed, I found the chips on the front end are really really bad. The paint was also incredibly scratched, like it went through a touch carwash every day of its 2 year life. I took a stab cutting, polishing, and waxing but will need to do it again in the fall. Also found they used the wrong screws for rear license plate and dented the tailgate.

All told, I've spent about $3500 on repairs/upgrades, including a 35% ceramic tint. Also I tested the degradation and it seems high at 13%, however it was about 55°F in my garage when I did the test, so maybe a bit cold? I'll try again in late summer.

So far I love this car. I made fun of my Dad for buying a Hertz used Ram, but he liked it so I thought I'd try. I'm a little disappointed in the condition of the exterior and abuse the car endured. I think I could have got a similar deal from Tesla used if you figure the cost of repaired paint. Coming from a 2007 Silverado that was getting rusty. Done about 450 miles, charging from RV/welder plug in my garage at 32 amps (6/2 romex on 50A breaker with Menards outlet) checked temp of outlet and barely above ambient.

Sorry for the long post, hope this helps fellow Tesla newbs.

Attachments

• 20240319_163428 -tint_sm.jpg
    20240319_163428 -tint_sm.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 19
Bought mine from Des Plaines Hertz in Chicago, Feb 26th. 2022 LR AWD with 58.5k, cost $24.2k before taxes and registration.
I was looking at the same car! I'm also thining about Des Plaines but a few of the local dealers have been buying them at auction from Hertz and have a bunch of them closer to home
All told, I've spent about $3500 on repairs/upgrades, including a 35% ceramic tint. Also I tested the degradation and it seems high at 13%, however it was about 55°F in my garage when I did the test, so maybe a bit cold? I'll try again in late summer.
This was incredibly helpful, thank you! Would love to see more people post what they paid and what repairs they had to make after. I'm looking at some base model 3's in the 60k-70k mile range at around 22-23 pre-rebate, but some of them are defintiely rougher than others. I also wanted my local tesla to check it out but they quoted me 175. I wonder if I could have them see it before purchase though for 117, I think they go through the VIN/owner though so that may be difficult.

I was looking at the same car! I'm also thining about Des Plaines but a few of the local dealers have been buying them at auction from Hertz and have a bunch of them closer to home

This was incredibly helpful, thank you! Would love to see more people post what they paid and what repairs they had to make after. I'm looking at some base model 3's in the 60k-70k mile range at around 22-23 pre-rebate, but some of them are defintiely rougher than others. I also wanted my local tesla to check it out but they quoted me 175. I wonder if I could have them see it before purchase though for 117, I think they go through the VIN/owner though so that may be difficult.
Yeah Tesla would not even look at it until it was in my name. You could maybe find an independent shop. The M3 is so low I could not even look below it to notice the cracked aero, so having someone throw it on a lift would be nice. There is no negotiation with Hertz on price, all they can do is refresh the price each morning (mine was listed at 25k and they refreshed it when I showed up the next day at 10 and it was down to 24.2k).

I spent like 6 hours there in total and people were calling left and right about them. They did not really know how to sell them, I hope it improves for you.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Also trying to decide between a Hertz 2022 60k miles ($23k -> 19k), Tesla used 2019 at 45k ($24k->20k), and a 200k mile 2017 used S thats a little cheaper ($18k ->14k)...tough decisions
I think 2018 or 2019 is a design change on the MS. You'd have to do some research to see if that 2017 has the features you want, I stopped looking at MS after I test drove a M3 and fit in it just fine (6'4"). I would also expect it to be pretty well worn with 200k on it, but depends what you're looking for and how the previous owner maintained it.

I think 2018 or 2019 is a design change on the MS. You'd have to do some research to see if that 2017 has the features you want, I stopped looking at MS after I test drove a M3 and fit in it just fine (6'4"). I would also expect it to be pretty well worn with 200k on it, but depends what you're looking for and how the previous owner maintained it.
Yeah I guess more I'm trying to decide between used from Tesla but 2019 is probably the highest year that will qualify for the tax credit, or stick with trying to find a diamond Hertz 2022 that I won't get burned on.

The cars I saw had 80,000+ miles on them so someone has been renting them and they have more miles than the average rental Avis sells at 20,000 to 50,000 miles. all the stories are HERTZ GETTING RID OF ELECTRICS when they are past time to sell. If they were worried about resale they should have leased them.

It's a bit more nuanced than that.

Some bozo CEO at Hertz decided to get in bed with Uber and rent vehicles to Uber drivers. And they thought that was a great business to get involved with.

Problem is that most Uber drivers only think they are making money if they ignore the cost of their vehicle and the ongoing cost of maintaining their vehicle.

Hertz is now backing away from this strange business decision.

So the risk of buying high mileage vehicles from Hertz is not that they were abused by being rented by business and leisure travellers, but by Uber drivers desperately trying to to make some money in a system specifically designed to ensure they don't.