Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Didn't Know Auto Wipers are in Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I've had many occasions when the wipers engage while in Auto mode with no rain at all.
I opened a service appt. last week. I had a mobile appt. for this Thursday, but today I received a
message they were closing the request because Auto is still in Beta mode and still needs to
improve via normal software updates.

Recently I've had many occasions when the wipers engage while in Auto mode with no rain at all.
I opened a service appt. last week. I had a mobile appt. for this Thursday, but today I received a
message they were closing the request because Auto is still in Beta mode and still needs to
improve via normal software updates.
Just like with autopilot, I expect the wipers will remain in “beta” indefinitely and Tesla will use that as an excuse for why they don’t work properly.

Last edited:
Auto wipers use the windshield cameras to detect the rain. Most other cars (not Tesla) use a dedicated IR moisture sensor (located next to the rear view mirror).

In the Y, a bug splash or dirt in front of the cameras will activate the wipers, rain or no rain. One time, I had to deactivate the auto wipers until I cleaned the dead bugs at the top of the windshield. To make the wiper operate somewhat properly, I apply wax (or ceramic coating) to the top part of the windshield, in front of the camera lens.