Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my 2023 Tesla Y mid August in Santa Barbara, live in Los Osos.
My windshield wipers have always run for no reason at abstract times. They are on Auto mode.
Is there a fix, hopefully via software update? Don't want to have to drive to Santa Barbara for service.
Is the Tesla Service Center in San Luis Obispo close to opening?

Happy Motoring,
Kim O.

My MY has this same issue. The wipers turn from OFF to AUTO as soon I engage any of the automatic driving modes. Sometimes they seem to switch to AUTO completely on their own. The annoying activations occur most often when driving into the sun or when the sun is very bright. This has been an ongoing issue on and off since the car was new (2023 model). Recently I noticed that it seemed to crop up after I cleaned the windshield. It occurred to me that I may have smeared the area where the camera opening is at the upper center part of the glass (it is difficult to reach). I stopped the car and carefully cleaned the camera opening and that seemed to stop the problem. This a fairly recent theory on my part, so can't be sure yet, but so it seems to be working.

It’s a known issue that ONLY Tesla has :/
The first time I called I was told by some bee ach that the wipers were in Beta. Whisky Tango Foxtrot! The only thing in beta is FSD. You need to call Tesla and report it! MBZ,BMW, Porsche, Alpha Romeo don’t have this issue.

It’s a known issue that ONLY Tesla has :/
The first time I called I was told by some bee ach that the wipers were in Beta. Whisky Tango Foxtrot! The only thing in beta is FSD. You need to call Tesla and report it! MBZ,BMW, Porsche, Alpha Romeo don’t have this issue.
My 2019 Model S, has “Beta” next to the auto wipers option. I noticed that “Beta” is missing from my Model Y and 3 though.

My 2019 Model S, has “Beta” next to the auto wipers option. I noticed that “Beta” is missing from my Model Y and 3 though.
That's because the wipers on the Y are pre-alpha. Worst wipers since my 1950 Chevy truck with the rope that ran through the cab so you could pull them back and forth in the rain. Absence of any way to get intermittent wiping for mist/road spray other than pushing the stalk button once every minute or two is positively primeval. Someone really likes the frenetic flap-flap-flap of those wipers.

• Funny
Reactions: stavstavcc
Because that's what they are supposed to do. Tesla has decided that Auto Wipers must be on with FSD, they should let the driver decide and if it needs the wipers and we don't turn them on, then just give a warning and if ignored then disengage FSD.
First of all, I agree with everyone's complaint. It's an idiotic problem associated with the poor decision to move to Tesla Vision too soon.

That being said, they have to design the system this way for liability purposes. When autopilot is on in a Tesla Vision car, the only way the car can sense its surroundings is thru the cameras. If the image thru the windshield cam is not clear for some reason, the system needs to clear it ASAP. It can't wait on the driver to do it. The car is essentially driving blind (or at least degraded) and the need to improve the forward vision is immediate. The issue is they moved to the lofty goal of camera-based sensing only before they really perfected how to do it.

That being said, they have to design the system this way for liability purposes.

I completely disagree. As I said before if FSD decides it can't see and needs the wipers it could give the driver a warning and if the warning is ignored then it could turn off FSD. This way there is no liability or safety concerns at all and the driver gets to decide what is best for them. And it should be the same way for the Auto High Beams.

And it should be the same way for the Auto High Beams.
The auto high beams on autopilot are worse than the auto windshield wipers. I was driving in the fog at night with AP on, it kept turning the auto high beams on by default. Everyone knows you use low beams in the fog, except Tesla. There’s no overriding the auto high beams while on AP which is the worst part.

While in AP you can cancel by pushing forwards once. But they will engage again, and cannot be turned off by pushing the stalk forwards again. At least that’s how it was when I had issues. It could have been changed in a software upgrade since.
Seems like it. You can cancel auto high beams over and over again. I'd prefer not to have auto high beams altogether (although I don't despise them as much as the auto wipers), but at least there is a way to turn them off.

Reactions: Kairide
I completely disagree. As I said before if FSD decides it can't see and needs the wipers it could give the driver a warning and if the warning is ignored then it could turn off FSD. This way there is no liability or safety concerns at all and the driver gets to decide what is best for them. And it should be the same way for the Auto High Beams.
If the car kept driving blind then the crash detection would probably be disabled, so while it's waiting for you to acknowledge a warning it could run into the car in front of you. Who do you think most people would blame in that situation, the driver or Tesla?

If the car flashes a warning for you to turn on the wipers, that takes your attention off the road. I suspect they knew they hadn't perfected the system, so they figured they might be bombarding the driver with 'turn on wipers' alerts, so they just had the system turn on the wipers itself.

I wonder if those who have autowipers kicking on with autopilot running, do you have a decent amount of pitting on the windshield glass? I wonder if the cameras think the windshield is dirty, from sunlight reflecting on it - and it's thinking it needs to wipe.
I haven't had any issues with the wipers running in autopilot, unless the windshield is dirty. I usually clean the windshield when I get home and the problem goes away.
When I had my '12 Mini Cooper, I went about 7 years with the original windshield before I finally decided to replace it. Prior to replacing it, I had so much pitting from all the rocks and sand - that driving in direct sunlight even when it was clean it was difficult to see out of.

I wonder if those who have autowipers kicking on with autopilot running, do you have a decent amount of pitting on the windshield glass? I wonder if the cameras think the windshield is dirty, from sunlight reflecting on it - and it's thinking it needs to wipe.
I haven't had any issues with the wipers running in autopilot, unless the windshield is dirty. I usually clean the windshield when I get home and the problem goes away.
When I had my '12 Mini Cooper, I went about 7 years with the original windshield before I finally decided to replace it. Prior to replacing it, I had so much pitting from all the rocks and sand - that driving in direct sunlight even when it was clean it was difficult to see out of.
That is precisely the reason why I use Aquapel. Not using the wipers -> no pitting. Thanks Elon for ruining it for me.