Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers (beta)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my Nused MX the auto wipers don't seem to work. I have only tried them once in the rain, but setting 1 or 2 they didn't ever activate in a "mist" rain. Rain is in the forecast tomorrow, maybe I will get to try it then. I know it says Beta and from searching I see issues, but wanted to see if it is something I am doing.

Yeah I gave up on the auto wiper setting on both my M3 and new MX, it is useless...I just use the timer settings...I do wish they had a longer time setting though than their longest one, most cars give you a setting of more than like a second or two.

On my Nused MX the auto wipers don't seem to work. I have only tried them once in the rain, but setting 1 or 2 they didn't ever activate in a "mist" rain. Rain is in the forecast tomorrow, maybe I will get to try it then. I know it says Beta and from searching I see issues, but wanted to see if it is something I am doing.
Yeah, several software revs back, the auto wipers worked perfectly, at least they did for me. More modern software, really working poorly.

Still wipe too often for my taste.

And annoying as hell, when off for a while with light drizzle, just occasionally hitting the wipe button. Then when you turn them on to "auto", they fast wipe for some time, like they have to get caught up with all the missed wipes from being turned off? Like no engineer planned for that?

Honestly, I've gotten used to just using the manual wipe button until there is enough precipitation to justify having the normal slower constant wipe speed engaged without chatter/squeaking. I do try to use the auto wipers, and even try to "train" them (even though I know they likely aren't programmed to be trained), but they only work decent in very few certain types of precipitation. I haven't disabled auto wipers yet, but I probably should, because then I could use the intermittent settings sometimes even though I'd probably still use the manual wipe button due to the limited number of options there. The most annoying thing about this is that I had awesome auto wipers in a 1998 Buick so this was already a solved problem for any company other than Tesla who just insists on Tesla-ing.

Honestly, I've gotten used to just using the manual wipe button until there is enough precipitation to justify having the normal slower constant wipe speed engaged without chatter/squeaking. I do try to use the auto wipers, and even try to "train" them (even though I know they likely aren't programmed to be trained), but they only work decent in very few certain types of precipitation. I haven't disabled auto wipers yet, but I probably should, because then I could use the intermittent settings sometimes even though I'd probably still use the manual wipe button due to the limited number of options there. The most annoying thing about this is that I had awesome auto wipers in a 1998 Buick so this was already a solved problem for any company other than Tesla who just insists on Tesla-ing.

Sounds similar to what I do, but many times going from manual to auto means fast wipe for me. Then I look like that idiot with wipers on fast wipe when it's drizzling out. Then I go back to a timed wipe.

I just ceramic coat / repel coat the windshield and engage wipers manually on lowest setting in all conditions but very heavy rain and traffic spray where I just bump the speed setting myself a notch or two. I agree with everyone above that the auto-wiper functionality is not helpful. The only thing is that FSD only works on auto wipers but when raining I disengage it anyways.

I have a Rivian now and have never once even looked for the wiper buttons. It just works. Perfectly. In mist all the way to heavy rain. And it is never wiping when it's not raining. Reading these comments makes me so glad to not be dealing with the wipers in the misty PNW where they either would not turn on or would be wiping at max speed for no reason.

Lol but what about the rear window wiper?

I just hate there's no happy medium. Starting from the bottom and working my way up...3 dots keeps wiping even when it's not raining, 4 dots immediately goes to high speed, 1 solid line is reasonable but still too fast sometimes, 2 solid lines is high speed again. Although my wipers still clean the windshield itself, I've debated replacing them on the idea that maybe they're old/soft because they 50+% of the time will sound like they're coming off the windshield and hitting the a-pillar even though I know they're not since I've put my hand out the window and checked while in use. Other than no FSD on MCU1, the wipers and no birds-eye view are my biggest complaints, it's been an amazing vehicle to own otherwise.

Attachments

• 20230916_174151.jpg
    20230916_174151.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 28