Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between Tesla mobile connector vs other level-2 charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,
  • I have a Clipper Creek 6-50 level-2 charger installed in my garage for my previous EV: Leaf and Bolt. I can charge Model Y with the stock SAEJ1772 adapter for up to 32A. 32A Level 2 EVSE HCS-40P with NEMA 6-50 | ClipperCreek
  • Model Y also comes with mobile connector which should work with 6-50 outlet with a purchase of an adapter.
I think the 2 charging approaches are the same. I am curious if I might be missing something...

Any thoughts? Thanks,

You are correct; Your ClipperCreek HCS-40P EVSE with NEMA 6-50 power plug is capable of supporting charging at up to 240V and 32A (7.7kW). The Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector, when fitted with a NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 6-50 power plug adapter, is capable of supporting charging at up to 240V and 32A(7.7kW.) The Tesla Mobile Connector has a shorter charging cable (18.5 ft) than the CC (25 ft.) You would use the SAE J1772 adapter that comes with every new Tesla vehicle to use the CC EVSE to charge the Tesla vehicle.

Reactions: fghj
I think the 2 charging approaches are the same. I am curious if I might be missing something...
Originally I thought that Tesla stock mobile connector might enable more intelligence w.r.t battery management.
No, you were right the first time. It helps to understand that that device external to the car isn't actually doing "charging". It isn't controlling the battery either. All of that happens inside the car. That device on the outside just does some sensing, some safety checks, some communication, and then if all is well, it closes a switch. That's it. It's simply making the connection from the external circuit to pass it into the car.

So as long as the devices you are looking at can handle the same number of volts and amps, you will be getting the same performance and charging speed.

Reactions: sleepydoc