Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference in comfort between 2014 and 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 S85 is in service... door handles failed... :( so Tesla gave me 2017 75D with 5k miles and cloth seats... OMG how comfortable, quiet, solid it is...air suspension is surprisingly stiffer and way more comfortable, cabin is whisper quiet and doors... doors close like a normal car... like a normal luxury car.... not that empty metal can sound... so what changed underneath in between 2014 (pre facelift) and 2017 (facelift) in terms of comfort, noise reduction... any ideas how to achieve same results in my MS? Mine feels very empty, road noise is annoying, wind noise, car feels a bit loose and suspension feels loose as well, usual rattles and squeaks .. air suspension makes so much noise and takes forever to go up or down vs loaner... maybe some parts can be DIY/Retrofitted into 2014 to make it as quiet and comfortable as 2017?

• Informative
Reactions: David29
This thread is a good example of how foolish are comments that the Model S interior hasn't changed in years and is in some desperate need of a refresh. The car is being refreshed continually. All one has to do is compare an earlier car with a later one to see this. Improvements have been made in just the year and a half since I bought mine.
I heard that too, many complain that tesla doesn't change interior or exterior, or suspension... they just don't show or tell anyone about it... but 2014 vs 2018 is a HUUUUUGE difference....

I heard that too, many complain that tesla doesn't change interior or exterior, or suspension... they just don't show or tell anyone about it... but 2014 vs 2018 is a HUUUUUGE difference....

OR -- is this the phenomenon that something new looks and sounds better because it has not been used, abused, twisted, bounced, etc., for the years it also was new? New tires always sound better than the old ones, and sometimes folks think that means the new ones are better than their old ones were when new. Maybe some of that, at least, applies to car bodies, too?

Thinking about adding extra sound deadening in doors, wheel wells.... any tips and tricks?
I just bought some sound deadening mat for my doors. It made a pretty decent difference. Next I'll try wheel wells. Highway speeds still isn't quiet like newer Teslas, but it's better than it was. I'm hoping wheel wells make a good difference as well. It's already noticeably quieter at lower speeds.

This thread is a good example of how foolish are comments that the Model S interior hasn't changed in years and is in some desperate need of a refresh. The car is being refreshed continually. All one has to do is compare an earlier car with a later one to see this. Improvements have been made in just the year and a half since I bought mine.

So true, and there are a lot of us out there that think Tesla would be hard pressed to create a more S3XY design than the MS already possesses.

In a refresh, things can go terribly wrong too. Take MB for example. In the 70's and 80's you saw a MB and you KNEW it was a Mercedes, even from far away. Their designs since then have morphed their cars into looking like everything else out there. It's hard to tell a MB from a Lexus or Camry nowadays. BMW would look like a chevy if it weren't for the grill. I could go on but you get the point.

I love the look of my MS. I like it as much as the day I bought it. I think it's a very timeless and distinctive (but not ridiculous) design. Those hips are super S3XY..... :) .

So true, and there are a lot of us out there that think Tesla would be hard pressed to create a more S3XY design than the MS already possesses....

I love the look of my MS. I like it as much as the day I bought it. I think it's a very timeless and distinctive (but not ridiculous) design. Those hips are super S3XY..... :) .
Most cars are designed according to fads (a.k.a. “fashion”), which are short-lived mental aberrations from which people eventually wake up and look back upon and find ugly (e.g. fins on cars). Many of these short-lived fads are intended to do just this in order to manipulate people into a cycle of constant buying of whatever is new because the old is no longer acceptable. This is at the heart of consumerism.

Tesla’s are designed with classical styling, which tends to look good over a far longer timeline (think Classical Greek architecture vs. modern architecture). The Model S is still a damn fine-looking car, in my opinion. And Tesla is trying to make a vehicle that will last a million miles. Both of these behaviors are directly counter to consumerism.

I actually drove a MS 75D for the first time this week as a loaner. I have a '17 MS 75 RWD. Due to the proximity in age, both are equally comfortable. The 75D is more powerful when you nail the accelerator but otherwise behaves similarly. I couldn't detect a difference between the air suspensioned loaner and my standard suspension. The real difference is that the RWD car has virtually no noise from the electric motor. It is eerily quiet. In the dual motored 75D, you can hear more whining noise from the motor. It's the same case with my Model X 75D. Supposedly that's because the front motor is closer to the driver.

We have a 2015 and 2018 Model S. 2018 is definitely quieter - something which also shows up when using the phone hands free. However, everything else, I don't really see the difference. The suspension I can't really compare because I have the "plus" suspension on the 2015, so the 2018 just feels too soft when I drive it. Tried AP2 recently on a highway and it still isn't as smooth as AP1. It surprised the hell out of me btw, I figured by now it would be. I know it can do more things, and it's really cool to see cars in the blind spots, but overall I have zero craving to to upgrade. With the recent price changes and free ludicrous it crossed my mind, but then I realized that I would actually dread the upgrade. All 4 Model S we owned usually required some TLC from service to fix factory and engineering issues, so thinking about a new Tesla and having to wait a month before getting an SC appointment, just turns me off. It was annoying enough being an early adopter when I didn't have to wait a month each time for someone to see my car, but now it's just not something that would be worth to upgrade. Oh, and from what I read here, they now charge $195/hr for diagnosis too if they can't find a warranty covered issue, so if you come with an intermittent issue which doesn't occur when the car is there (I had those before), you get to pay $200/hr for that inconvenience too.