Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Additional differences between M-y and M-3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my 2023 Modal Y just 9 days after I placed my order- compared with 18 months (550 days) waiting for my 2018 Model 3. There were many reasons for choosing the M-Y, such as size, volume, legroom, comfort, longer charge/range and other published specifications.
But beyond the specs, the following table contains other little differences that are the upside in favor of the Y. Some of the differences were expected, the other were pleasant unexpected surprise.
And of course- it is bigger and costs more.
For more differences, as specified, see video (produced by Tom Tesla from Australia)

SO, IF YOU BUY, OR EXPECT DELIVERY OF YOUR NEW Y- SEE THIS:​

Model Y (2023)
Model 3 (2018)
Trunk door- auto open/close, up/down
Trunk manually open/close

Wheel fender guards

No guard

USB A data port in glove compartment

No USB port in glove compartment at all

USB stick 128 gig in glove compartment port

No USB stick provided

Only one USB A data port in glove compartment
4 USB A ports in the car (2 for data)

4 USB C ports (power only) in center console

No USB C ports

Wireless phone charger in front console

No wireless charger

Front face cabin camera (for zoom conferencing)

No front face camera

Video images are better color and brighter

Video images are little darker w/incorrect colors

Extra 12v (Lighter) plug in the rear/trunk

No additional 12v plug

All chromes are blackened

All chromes are chrome

Doors and windows buttons are marked w/white

Doors and windows buttons are less visible

Rear windows are little tinted

All window are transparent

Driver side left foot rest is carpeted, softer

Driver side left foot rest is hard surface

Comfort Suspension seems forgiving/softer

Suspension is little stiffer
Road noise seems to be better attenuated
Road noise in the cabin is annoying

The wells in both trunk & frunk are deeper

The wells in both trunk & frunk are shallower

No tray provided in center console

Yes, there is a removable tray in center console

Lumbar support adjustment in front seat

No lumbar support

Easy button release of back seats from the trunk

Release back seats only manually
Tires- 19"
Tires- 18”

Even better sounding premium audio system

Good audio

Rear seatbelt buckles not protruding from seat

Rear seatbelt buckles protrude from the seat

Rearview mirror automatically dims in low light

Rear view mirror reflection is unchanged

Tesla_Model_Y_front_passenger_side_view.jpg

"Tesla Model Y front passenger side view" by Daniel.Cardenas is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

I have a relatively early build 2018 Model 3 serial #0302xx in Canada

- It has an operational front face camera
- It has power lumbar support in both front seats
- It has auto dim interior rearview mirror
- 14 speaker B&O sound system with 14 speakers including a trunk subwoofer

It also has the ‘premium upgrades‘ as it was mandatory back then as that was all they were building IIRC.

I also got the Enhanced Autopilot as it was a software upgrade I paid for.

I can’t get by the higher base price, less attractive styling, and the fact that you can’t get 18” (or smaller) wheels on the model Y and think I’d prefer the cheaper single motor model 3 bc it looks better. But if my wife is going to be the one to drive this, then higher seating position and more cargo room for shopping will make her prefer the model Y. That is going to make me look at the other more attractive crossover / SUV EVs/PHEVs. I think if the model Y was just a bit more attractive, or even had a FUNCTIONAL third row seating I could justify it. I’m also looking at a Tesla Solar roof. So being all matchy-matchy would be nice. If the cyber truck would become available for delivery this year, I’d be interested in a single motor version to replace my ridgeline, maybe consider dual motor as they seem to be putting that in the model Y for pretty cheap.

I can’t get by the higher base price, less attractive styling, and the fact that you can’t get 18” (or smaller) wheels on the model Y and think I’d prefer the cheaper single motor model 3 bc it looks better. But if my wife is going to be the one to drive this, then higher seating position and more cargo room for shopping will make her prefer the model Y. That is going to make me look at the other more attractive crossover / SUV EVs/PHEVs. I think if the model Y was just a bit more attractive, or even had a FUNCTIONAL third row seating I could justify it. I’m also looking at a Tesla Solar roof. So being all matchy-matchy would be nice. If the cyber truck would become available for delivery this year, I’d be interested in a single motor version to replace my ridgeline, maybe consider dual motor as they seem to be putting that in the model Y for pretty cheap.
I’m in a very similar situation but which other BEV SUVs are you testing? We’ve tested the Subaru Solterra, VW ID.4, Volvos and Polestar; we also had a chance to check out the new KIAs (though we couldn’t drive them). So far, the MY is the winner (and it’s not close).

I have a relatively early build 2018 Model 3 serial #0302xx in Canada

- It has an operational front face camera
- It has power lumbar support in both front seats
- It has auto dim interior rearview mirror
- 14 speaker B&O sound system with 14 speakers including a trunk subwoofer

It also has the ‘premium upgrades‘ as it was mandatory back then as that was all they were building IIRC.

I also got the Enhanced Autopilot as it was a software upgrade I paid for.
All Model 3s have the camera array above the mirror. If your car has a front facing bumper cam, it is not factory. The only way I can make sense of this is that you meant 'front face radar'. which is moot unless you've disabled software updates as all cars use vision based AP and FSD now regardless of whether the radar is installed.

Reactions: android04
I have a 2020 model 3 performance upgrade that has all the upgrades I bought it from a Mb dealer with 9000 miles don’t think they knew anything about it. after I got home I started looking to see what I might want to add and when I tried I got the message that I had all the upgrades.
Since then I get upgrades to my full self driving on a regular basis

We have a 3P and a 7 seat Y and we use the third row all the time- our kids are 8 an 5 and normal sized, we are short (I am 5'7") but with the middle row slid up there is plenty of room to toss grandparents in the middle and kids in the back on boosters, and they do not come near the glass. It's certainly not for 7 adults but amazing utility for not a huge tradeoff in cargo space. The 3 is very practical for a sedan but the Y is next level compared to other SUVs with the same exterior package.

Tow hitch option?

Also I don't understand "Front face cabin camera (for zoom conferencing)". I'm assuming not while driving and maybe it means a camera looking at a FACE in the FRONT seat as opposed to a FRONT FACing camera???

Who compares a 23 against a 2018? Someone who hasn’t heard of apples to apples, if they had the differences list would be a lot shorter.
The OP may have thought the information could be useful to someone, somewhere. Probably a nice person.
What kind of person goes out of their way to make a negative comment about a topic they have no interest in? Just skip over it and read a more interesting thread.

I received my 2023 Modal Y just 9 days after I placed my order- compared with 18 months (550 days) waiting for my 2018 Model 3. There were many reasons for choosing the M-Y, such as size, volume, legroom, comfort, longer charge/range and other published specifications.
But beyond the specs, the following table contains other little differences that are the upside in favor of the Y. Some of the differences were expected, the other were pleasant unexpected surprise.
And of course- it is bigger and costs more.
For more differences, as specified, see video (produced by Tom Tesla from Australia)

SO, IF YOU BUY, OR EXPECT DELIVERY OF YOUR NEW Y- SEE THIS:​

Model Y (2023)
Model 3 (2018)
Trunk door- auto open/close, up/down
Trunk manually open/close

Wheel fender guards

No guard

USB A data port in glove compartment

No USB port in glove compartment at all

USB stick 128 gig in glove compartment port

No USB stick provided

Only one USB A data port in glove compartment
4 USB A ports in the car (2 for data)

4 USB C ports (power only) in center console

No USB C ports

Wireless phone charger in front console

No wireless charger

Front face cabin camera (for zoom conferencing)

No front face camera

Video images are better color and brighter

Video images are little darker w/incorrect colors

Extra 12v (Lighter) plug in the rear/trunk

No additional 12v plug

All chromes are blackened

All chromes are chrome

Doors and windows buttons are marked w/white

Doors and windows buttons are less visible

Rear windows are little tinted

All window are transparent

Driver side left foot rest is carpeted, softer

Driver side left foot rest is hard surface

Comfort Suspension seems forgiving/softer

Suspension is little stiffer
Road noise seems to be better attenuated
Road noise in the cabin is annoying

The wells in both trunk & frunk are deeper

The wells in both trunk & frunk are shallower

No tray provided in center console

Yes, there is a removable tray in center console

Lumbar support adjustment in front seat

No lumbar support

Easy button release of back seats from the trunk

Release back seats only manually
Tires- 19"
Tires- 18”

Even better sounding premium audio system

Good audio

Rear seatbelt buckles not protruding from seat

Rear seatbelt buckles protrude from the seat

Rearview mirror automatically dims in low light

Rear view mirror reflection is unchanged

View attachment 951610
"Tesla Model Y front passenger side view" by Daniel.Cardenas is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
Where did you get your rims from? They look great!