Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differernces between 2016 X and 2018?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're thinking about getting my wife a used 2016 X. They gave her a test drive on a 2018, but we didn't have a 2016 to look at to see what's changed in the last couple years. One thing she was asking about is the lights on the sunshade vanity mirrors, did the X always have those? My 2016 S doesn't have the lights and it bugs her.

If people have a list of what else has changed, I'd love to see it. Also, if there's anything I need to watch out for when grabbing one from that vintage.

Thanks!

...sunshade...

I am not good at keeping track either but in general, it's just like a cell phone, there's a difference in technology and features.

If you like technology, you should get the latest because, for example: Some can use Tesla dash cam feature and some can't depending on whether their cars were built after AP 2.5 hardware coming out or not.

Yes, the AP1 vs AP2.5 is a big one. I've got AP1 on my S so I'm used to how that behaves. As much as I'd like to get the latest and greatest, we're willing to compromise a bit for 30k off the sticker price. I just want to get expectations set right so there's no disappointment on delivery.

Reactions: Rahul
Seems like the big Q is if it is AP 1 or AP 2. We got our x in Dec of 2016. We have AP 2 and bought EAP and FSD, so will be able to get the AP 3 upgrade when it comes out.

Other than that the only difference i've noticed is a change in buttons for the falcon wing doors.

I've got the 2016. The vanity mirrors have lights. I have alcantara trim on the dash; and ventilated seats. I think the 2018 X only offers the ventilated seats on the performance model, if at all. The Alcantara on the dash is gone.

The buttons for the falcon wing doors are simplified on the 2018.

I'm also interested in this question. The buttons for the falcon wing doors are one of the things I've also noticed. Not a big deal obviously but the newer button design is much easier for people to use/understand.

I think another difference is between leather or vegan seats. I believe the 2016 premium interior has leather seats while all the newer cars have vegan seats. I'm not sure how a big a difference this is.

Are the ventilated seats on all 2016 models or was it an option?

Difference is 2016 abnormal panel gap is on the left. 2018 abnormal panel gap is on the right. J/k ;)

I have a 2016 and think it’s great. Minimal mostly cosmetic changes between 2016 and 2018. Will be hard to consider upgrading at this point though if enhanced autopilot continues to improve, may be tempted in the future.

...buttons...

I don't know when the change happened but you can push and pull with the earlier rectangular chrome ring like a lever:

Tesla_Model_X_Open_Falcon_Door_Button_grande.jpg

You can only push with newer black buttons and you can't pull on them:

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: justdoit
I'm also interested in this question. The buttons for the falcon wing doors are one of the things I've also noticed. Not a big deal obviously but the newer button design is much easier for people to use/understand.

I think another difference is between leather or vegan seats. I believe the 2016 premium interior has leather seats while all the newer cars have vegan seats. I'm not sure how a big a difference this is.

Are the ventilated seats on all 2016 models or was it an option?
Ventilated seats was an option.

These are most of the changes from 2016 (pre-Oct 2016) to 2018 on top of my head:
- AP1 vs AP2.5
- MCU1 vs MCU2 (March 2018)
- Optional PUP vs standard on 2018 now
- Interior chrome trims become dark chrome (April/May 2018?)
- 7 seats 2nd row monopost becomes bench
- ghosting windshield on 2016 and not on 2018
- no more alcantara dash on 2018 (available for 2016 w/ PUP)
- 2018 has sensor inside falcon door speaker to detect people standing under the door
- front doors latch difference (though if failed in 2016 Model they will replace with the new ones)
- falcon door switch as mentioned, though will be replaced by newer style if failed or by request (maybe not free if by request, depends on your luck)
- gloss seatbacks vs matte seatbacks
- more shoulder room for 3rd row in 2018
- strictly vegan seats in 2018
- Steering differences (2018 on standard feels like 2016 on sport)
- "Model X" logo removed on falcon door ceiling (April/May 2018?)
- some interior trims no longer available in 2018 and new oak decor trim in 2018
- turn signal is louder in 2016
- windshield wipers sit lower in the hood for 2016 (hidden) and higher for 2018.

Last edited: