Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Digital rear plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
Most of the photos of the cT show it with what appears to be a digital license plate:

iu.jpeg

But when it's out on the road we see:

iu.png

Sure would be cool if the plate was built into the car kinda like those digital aftermarket plates you can get:

https---api.thedrive.com-wp-content-uploads-2018-02-reviver-license-plate.jpg?quality=85.jpeg

I was a beta tester for these when I got my TM3 and the plate is still on my car. Many of the features are already on the car, cellular connection, GPS, power with battery backup. Why spend all that money on a digital plate, just build it in at the factory and connect it to the DMV via the VIN.

I don't think that's a digital plate on the reveal. More likely just a plastic fake plate. Doesn't look at all like the Reviver Auto plate that are available, plus digital plates are only legal in CA, AZ and MI, so it would be a logistical nightmare for Tesla to have to custom each order based on the delivery state,

• Love
Reactions: Familyfirstj
I think it’s a possibility and will be added to the price of the vehicle, not as an option but more like license, fee and registration charges at purchases. The cost needs to come down however and so does the requirement to have a subscription.

I think it’s a possibility and will be added to the price of the vehicle, not as an option but more like license, fee and registration charges at purchases. The cost needs to come down however and so does the requirement to have a subscription.
The subscription is only $2.99 mo and the plate cost is $300 ( which can be bundled with the sub fee for 1yr making your monthly total $14.99)

What is the benefit? I can't bring myself to spend the $5/mo that satellite radio asks for. Having an electric plate on the back of the car that lets you know where your car is at all times and communicate with over the internet seems redundant on a Tesla.

Reactions: VaztheDad
It may look cool because it is unique but it is not state of art. I can't see myself paying for subscription for a car I want to keep for 5+ years. I don't think it is value for the money. Besides, If I am right, they will dig holes on your car, and upon request for removal, they charge you removal fee etc. If it was a one time fee, I could see myself paying for it but I don't see benefit of having that as a subscription service. Legally, if in your state you need dual plates (Like in CA - Though it is not enforced unless you park your car outside) you don't have front plate so if you see yourself obliged to follow the rules, you need to put normal license plate in front which makes your car look ugly.

Reactions: kayak1
Plus they claimed that at stop signs and lights and when parked they claimed that the plate image would shrink (as you won't need to read it from afar) and you can put a custom image in the remaining space. So a Raiders logo or something.