Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep the PYD?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After getting offered/matched a VIN with a small compromise (seats not white) LR AWD: MSM/Black/20” we were pumped to take delivery in early April.

Unbeknownst to us, the match was taken away without explanation or notice and after setting the Mrs’ loose on Sales was offered an adjustment for the cost of induction wheels (20”) as consolation/damage control while they find us another car. Our SA has now found us a P AWD (Stealth) DBM/Black/19” and as promised the $2,000 adjustment. Part of this is negated as our trade-in has slid $1,000 in value but we will see if we can get them to honor the original quote as mileage hasn’t changed much..

Therein lies the dilemma:

I personally love the idea of a P, but since this is the Mrs’ car she really didn’t care for the added cost for power she will seldom use. I won’t get away with stealing it very often anyway since I have my P3D+ so it’s almost not worth the extra $7,000+tax effective. Do I keep the match and try to make it work or do I dump it and insist on exactly what we ordered?

Help!

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Some side notes:

Deep Blue Metallic was our safety color if Midnight Silver Metallic was for some reason delayed significantly so that kinda works out..

BW interior was preferred but not a dealbreaker as it was more of a *me* want. 19” Gemini’s were also the preferred wheel but if we’d ordered a P from the get go we would have ordered with full perf pack since it’s the same cost anyhow.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
After getting offered/matched a VIN with a small compromise (seats not white) LR AWD: MSM/Black/20” we were pumped to take delivery in early April.

Unbeknownst to us, the match was taken away without explanation or notice and after setting the Mrs’ loose on Sales was offered an adjustment for the cost of induction wheels (20”) as consolation/damage control while they find us another car. Our SA has now found us a P AWD (Stealth) DBM/Black/19” and as promised the $2,000 adjustment. Part of this is negated as our trade-in has slid $1,000 in value but we will see if we can get them to honor the original quote as mileage hasn’t changed much..

Therein lies the dilemma:

I personally love the idea of a P, but since this is the Mrs’ car she really didn’t care for the added cost for power she will seldom use. I won’t get away with stealing it very often anyway since I have my P3D+ so it’s almost not worth the extra $7,000+tax effective. Do I keep the match and try to make it work or do I dump it and insist on exactly what we ordered?

Help!
I would be much more concerned where this unicorn of a Y is coming from. With zero production and pretty much all Ys distributed, the ones that are left seem to be those that are rejects or returns. Danger, Will Robinson!

Reactions: NY_Rob
I would be much more concerned where this unicorn of a Y is coming from. With zero production and pretty much all Ys distributed, the ones that are left seem to be those that are rejects or returns. Danger, Will Robinson!
I asked about this. Wasn’t picked up by the original buyer. Low 1xxx Vin and 17mi confirmed.

Doubtful but they’re trying to see if they can sell it as a LYD and SW downgrade it. Wish us luck!

I wouldn't pay thousands of dollars to enable a software switch that the primary driver doesn't want. I suspect she will have to use chill mode if you buy it, making the car slower than the AWD. Even with just having AWD, the M3 is very violent when hitting the throttle, even worse with the P when below 45 MPH or so. I haven't driven an MY yet, but it seems to be similar.

Reactions: raggedy
I wouldn't pay thousands of dollars to enable a software switch that the primary driver doesn't want. I suspect she will have to use chill mode if you buy it, making the car slower than the AWD. Even with just having AWD, the M3 is very violent when hitting the throttle, even worse with the P when below 45 MPH or so. I haven't driven an MY yet, but it seems to be similar.
Oh, she won’t use chill mode but on the same token it indeed is a waste to pay for Performance when she won’t use it often.

Update: Trade no longer a factor as one of the BMW dealers I work closely with offered to buy us out for more than what Tesla originally offered (before they “reassessed”) this including what tax credit would have been issued..

We gave up the PYD VIN and soon found a LYD VIN closer to home that was a cancelled delivery. Issues within the mothership prevented this from being attached to our profile...(seriously?)

More failure on the horizon and a few MX loaners while my P3D visits the service center we’d been toying with the idea of just picking up a lease return MX 100D instead and happened upon a perfectly specced ‘17 5 seater in the exact color combo the Y’d been ordered in at a price that wasn’t offensive.

So now a new first world dilemma: Take delivery of this MX 100D or keep waiting for the Y as ordered? Both are fine options per the Mrs with no real worries of inordinate depreciation since the big hit is already gone on the MX vs LYD that will likely be overproduced and oversold however less risky in the long run and off warranty.

~40K on the MX with warranty reset for 4/50 out to ~90K.

One other factor I was thinking about was the fact it has MCU1/AP2 so unsure if it would do stoplights even with HW3/MCU2 upgrades. Regarding trying the X out while in warranty and selling to buy Y later, this is a possibility as well.. (unless I traded my P3D in on a PYD down the line)

I think that instead of buying whatever comes available, you guys should decide what you really want and wait for that exact thing. Otherwise, every time you look at the car, you'll think "gee, if only it was what we wanted". At least, that's how I am.

Don't settle. If price isn't an object, get what you want and what fits your lifestyle.

It being the Mrs future daily, max range isn’t that big of a concern so the SR is just fine there. Long range would be nice too for trips and faster charging.

It’s also a 7 seater that does fold so has the most flexibility in cargo room as well as pax room. We do feel like the price is right for something that’s not only newer, but fresher and just about has everything that makes a Model X, a Model X!

A little update:

We've decided to go with the MX SR Raven 2019 Inventory car as it suits our future needs better and has the lions share of hardware upgrades we were looking for despite having the lower rated range.

If anyone's in DFW metro is considering a 5 seater MSM/White 2017 100D, lemme know and i'll talk to my sale advisor to link you up with it.

It exists. Just not at the price we're looking to spend. You know something is wrong with the market when pricing on used or inventory MX LR Raven within 5% of each other and even that is within 5% itself of a new custom order which of course no longer come with FUSC.

This was available at the price we wanted and ticked every box save for white six seat interior and peak range which 95% of the time won't be of consequence.