Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diminishing charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 S Long Range battery. Over the past 11 months when I charge the battery on my Tesla home charger, the completed charge went from 359 miles to 348. Is this typical? How do I maintain the original 359 miles?

All batteries degrade. Tesla batteries generally degrade UP TO 5% in the first year, and then continue to degrade about 1% every year afterward. You should expect your car to lose range along those lines, and there is little you can do about it. Tesla has already made sure the battery is kept at an optimum temperature, and that it charges more slowly as the battery fills, both things that keep the battery range higher longer. I imagine that Tesla is doing a good job, as very few people seem to worry about losing much range.

So, in the first year, my 400 mile range Model S could be expected to lose about 20 miles of range. You've lost eleven, so you're doing well. Unless you bought your car with the idea that you NEED every mile of range, you should be fine for a long time. Add to that the fact that we have superchargers all over the country, plus we can fill up in our garage every night (Take that, gas cars! What? No gas pump in the garage??) range is hardly ever a problem.

Even gas cars' range slowly degrades as the engine begins to run rougher, wear out, leak, etc., so don't obsess over a little loss of range. It's normal.

Upvote 0