Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable Gateway Wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Is it possible to disable the powerwall wifi which is emitted from the gateway. My gateway is connected to my router via an ethernet cable and we don't have wifi in our home for health reasons. There is still a wifi signal produced (TEG-7EF) which means the wifi is on. Please can someone talk me through how to turn it off. Thanks

Do both run through the antennas at the top of the gateway? Or is WiFi from the little horizontal antenna inside?
The Neurio has its own antenna and is factory paired to the Gateway. With that in mind, it would probably be best to connect a small antenna like that when you disconnect the Gateway's external antenna and leave it inside the enclosure so the two boxes can still exchange data and continue to function properly.

The Neurio has its own antenna and is factory paired to the Gateway. With that in mind, it would probably be best to connect a small antenna like that when you disconnect the Gateway's external antenna and leave it inside the enclosure so the two boxes can still exchange data and continue to function properly.
I would have thought the external antennas were only use if LTE or WiFi was in use. Not so?

And so the Neurio transmitter is the little internal box with the attached swivel antenna? Wish we had a hardware diagram of the new gateway internals.

Not to overly hijack this, but what does the Neurio in the gateway actually communicate with? There is also an extensive antenna on the inverter and also a separate box that plugged into the internet router (left over from solar only days).

If the old external connection (on the router) is not needed for PW users, would be good to know. And I’m sure the OP would also find it useful for cutting down the local EM exposure.

I would have thought the external antennas were only use if LTE or WiFi was in use. Not so?

And so the Neurio transmitter is the little internal box with the attached swivel antenna? Wish we had a hardware diagram of the new gateway internals.

Not to overly hijack this, but what does the Neurio in the gateway actually communicate with? There is also an extensive antenna on the inverter and also a separate box that plugged into the internet router (left over from solar only days).

If the old external connection (on the router) is not needed for PW users, would be good to know. And I’m sure the OP would also find it useful for cutting down the local EM exposure.
Neurio only communicates via WiFi. The Gateway needs the Neurio to read the CTs.

It would be nice to find a way to turn off the TBG's WiFi hotspot. I already have too many WiFi hotspots in my area for my taste. TBG's broadcasting WiFi is just a exploit waiting to happen.

If it's any consolation, totally energy output by just the SSID beacon (i.e. what causes the network to show up on the list of available networks), is pretty darn tiny compared to the energy used by two devices actively communicating.

• Informative
Reactions: NuShrike
If the old external connection (on the router) is not needed for PW users, would be good to know.

The SolarCity box (assuming that's what you mean) is apparently not needed, at least Tesla didn't give me one with my setup (though I've been following a blogged Solar Roof install going on right now in VA, and they did receive the box with their install). I wound up buying one off eBay, though, as it gets data from my Solivia units (over ZigBee) that I haven't found any other way to get, but now I need to decipher it. :p I did notice that both of my Solivia's updated their firmware last week, I assume that wouldn't have happened without the SolarCity box since that's the only thing actually communicating with the inverters.

Huh... I might have to call Tesla again. Takes forever to get answers.

My Solar City account says it’s going way on August 1 (about a month) so, hard to tell what data is going where. Some data stopped being logged when the PWs were installed.

The Solar page in the Tesla App has also useless since the PWs and gateway was installed, no idea why it’s there except perhaps historical data?

Be nice if they would ever actually tell you what does what and what ends up where and not treat the whole thing as a black box.

If the radio on the Solar Edge inverter only talks to the Solar City box left over from the solar install, very weird it’s not universal.