Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

disappointed of buying process! is this how it should be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love Tesla car but my first experience from Tesla showroom here in Vegas is very bad and after reading their reviews at yelp im not sure what to do.
So i found used model S @ Tesla website and it says its available here locally.
I was very exciting and went to their showroom to see if i can try that car and maybe even purchase it right away.
To my surprise they said they dont deal with used cars and i have to do everything over the phone.
Every question I had about used car they said to go online and look for info!
Then i asked them to try new Model S and they said im lucky because they have one appoitment cancellation and i can do it right away !
(i was only customer in their showroom ).
After trying new Model S (5 min ride) i ask them to try Model 3 also since im there.
They said no, you need appoitment for that and Tesla is allowing to try only one model at the time. Really? What?
Im ready to spend 60k on car maybe right away and you are telling me to come back another time?
Wow.
Then i went home and called Tesla to see how i can try that particular used Model S and they have it on their website.
Representative told me to wait and she is going to call Las Vegas showroom since its available locally.
I told her i just came from there and they dont deal with used cars. She said thats very strange!!
She called them and they didnt answer.
She said she will call me back at the end of the day (now is 6 pm and no call back yet).
After looking at reviews of this Tesla show room people are complaining about customer service and no answering their phone.
Because im new to this i would like to know if this is how it should be?

• Funny
Reactions: jeffro01 and P85_DA
This sounds about normal to me when dealing with Tesla showrooms. They aren't "dealerships" and have limitations on what they can and can't do in many states. Texas especially, I'm not sure about Nevada. Either way, generally the used cars are in a different place and aren't available to look at. You basically have to buy the car to see it when it comes to pre-owned. They've also been doing the drives on appointment only thing for quite a few years. It's just how they operate, sometimes they can accommodate but they've been getting a lot of attention on the Model 3 so it's likely they're cracking down on it.

Buying direct without a dealership in the middle certainly has its pros and cons. I think it's better overall, but there are headaches along the way that's for sure.

I love Tesla car but my first experience from Tesla showroom here in Vegas is very bad and after reading their reviews at yelp im not sure what to do.
I was very exciting and went to their showroom to see if i can try that car and maybe even purchase it right away.
To my surprise they said they dont deal with used cars and i have to do everything over the phone.
Then i asked them to try new Model S and they said im lucky because they have one appoitment cancellation and i can do it right away !
After trying new Model S (5 min ride) i ask them to try Model 3 also since im there.
They said no, you need appoitment for that and Tesla is allowing to try only one model at the time. Really? What?
Im ready to spend 60k on car maybe right away and you are telling me to come back another time?
Wow.
Then i went home and called Tesla to see how i can try that particular used Model S and they have it on their website.
Representative told me to wait and she is going to call Las Vegas showroom since its available locally.
I told her i just came from there and they dont deal with used cars. She said thats very strange!!
She said she will call me back at the end of the day (now is 6 pm and no call back yet).
After looking at reviews of this Tesla show room people are complaining about customer service and no answering their phone.

I have bought 11 Tesla's and still get treated like this from the sales team. It's pretty pathetic.

The service center staff is so much better and having the car is worth dealing with the sales aholes.

Don't take it personally.

Problem is that i dont know all car options,its listed as "no options" car, im music fanatic and dont know how stereo sounds too.
I dont have option to see any other simmilar car (from that year) because they dont have any in showroom.
But my biggest concern is how they will deal with repairs if they are bad with customer service.
Also when i asked lady over the phone what is warranty on that car she said it could be 2 or 4 years??
She said to reserve it and wait for representative call.
So pay 2500$ before i know any details or warranty ?
And then if i cancel then wait 45 days to get my money back?
I dont know, this all feels strange, maybe if im very rich guy i wouldnt care but im just not ready for all this now

Problem is that i dont know all car options,its listed as "no options" car, im music fanatic and dont know how stereo sounds too.
I dont have option to see any other simmilar car (from that year) because they dont have any in showroom.
But my biggest concern is how they will deal with repairs if they are bad with customer service.
Also when i asked lady over the phone what is warranty on that car she said it could be 2 or 4 years??
I dont know, this all feels strange, maybe if im very rich guy i wouldnt care but im just not ready for all this now
Test drive a model 3. If you like it buy one. Good warranty and most up to date car for your budget. Service departments are very good.

Wow.

They are totally ignorant with respect to selling used vehicles. They haven't had a need to figure it out until recently. Apparently they got into the leasing business about this time in 2015. Now they have a bunch of them coming back and are not set up to deal with the questions or follow up properly. Be patient and watch the prices come down until they figure it out.

Remember, these are Service Centers and Showrooms . They are not selling you a car there. You are purchasing the car online. They are not Dealerships. They also don't have salespeople. They can be in trouble for operating differently from that in many states. There are many legal battles going on over this in many states mostly because of the Auto Dealers Association.

Wow.
Welcome to the way Tesla does business. Elon's vision is to sell you a new car like Apple sells you a new phone, no test drives, order online and pick it up. Tesla hates trade-ins, they always have (I guess Elon thought people would just get rid of their old cars by themselves, like when buying an Apple phone they don't take your BlackBerry). Unfortunely for them they had to do a CPO program to keep the used Tesla values from plummeting because current set of dealerships have no clue or often interest in selling them - probably another thing Elon overlooked; no dealerships means no used car resale network too. Dealerships also service, an Achilles heel which is really starting to show lately - they ramped the production of Model 3, doubling the size of US fleet this year but didn't scale service center capabilities to allow it. Probably Elon assumed they would all be trouble free, but Tesla is far from the level of quality if other manufacturers - most Teslas, even new, require a handful of visits in the first 12 months of ownership. All covered under warranty, but the picture gets bleaker when you have wait a month to get an appointment and then wait for parts. It wasn't like that before Model 3 ramp - service was what kept me coming back to buy more. Find someone with a Tesla near you and check via online appointment booking tool what the wait is in your area - whether you buy new or used consider you will need to visit service 1-5 times to get everything fixed up. Oh, and if you come across boasting from Elon how everyone gets a P100D loaner, ignore it - it was just his "shownanship" as the Tesla fanboys like to call it - maybe Tesla employees tell him that how it works but he's completely out of touch with reality.

Tesla builds great cars, autopilot and full self driving not withstanding as those are just another example of Elon being out of touch with reality. The problem today is their servicability combined with the fact that they are not service free vehicles like Hondas or Toyotas.

I don’t know how to make the people in the showroom more helpful about the car that you’re specifically looking at, unfortunately. I’m not sure what year car you’re specifically looking at getting, but I'm also in Vegas and have a 2017 S with standard audio that you’re more than welcome to play with at some point if that would help you with your audio questions.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman and MagT
Wow, that was an ear full. Sorry you're all having a bad experience with used.

Myself, I was so wanting a Model 3 that I stood in line for a deposit without even seeing the car let alone drive one. I finally got to sit in one but none were available to test drive yet as that wasn't set up... low inventory, high demand I guess. I bought the car anyway and never looked back. It changed my life but that's another story.

I agree that service is outstanding. Whenever I'm in the area, I just drive right in the shop and say hi to everyone, usually asking a bunch of questions, sometimes getting a SW upgrade or to see how many mm tire tread are left.

These are special cars, hope you read about the hidden technology article just posted. Be patient and you'll never look back either.

Thank you for your answers!
Well unfortunately i decided to wait 1 or more years.
I was excited to get one soon (maybe now) but this process is still not clear to me.
Will wait and see how it works in future.
Basicaly, i need to order online car i like, pay 2500$ non refundable fee, AND ONLY THEN deal with my trade in,interest rates,condition of the car and car options.
And if everything goes well then i had to deal with ONLY ONE service department in my city and hope they are quick and customer service oriented people.
I dont know, maybe one day.
I see there are many happy Tesla owners but i just dont have patience for it

Reactions: whitex and dethman
Our CPO purchase a few months ago was very positive, especially considering how traditional dealership experiences can be.

It is true that you can't test drive the car you're interested in and the showroom staff likely know nothing of the process other than sending you to the online site. Although one floor person was able to connect us directly with an OA.

Stick with being persistent in getting a contact for an Owner Advisor. Once we were in touch with an Owner Advisor, we communicated daily and he was very attentive to every question/need/process. We were told up front that our deposit would lock in a car until we saw it and if we weren't happy we could refuse the car and apply the deposit on another until we got one we wanted to leave with. Or take it as a refund (yes you have to wait for it in that case). Keep in mind that any car you're interested in can dissappear quickly unless you place a deposit, as good ones can move fast. The OA can get detailed pictures of any car you're interested in and do their best to disclose wear items.

I realize every Service Center is different, but the 2 we've dealt with have been as good or better than our BMW or Lexus dealership. And every issue we identified after driving away has been dealt with promptly and thoroughly (no part or appointment delays that others have mentioned). They even sent a mobile tech to my wifes' office to replace door handles 2 days after we contacted them (we're 6 hours from the closest SC).

On the CPO site, every car listed has the details of all options on the car, as well as the warranty it comes with (4yr/50k miles for CPO or 2yr/100k miles for just PO - this is determined by Tesla as to condition/odometer/history etc.) Hint: you pay more for CPO because they have determined the car is in better condition for a better warranty.

Oh, and our sound system smokes the high end ones in our BMW and Lexus, hands down.

We were at least as satisfied dealing with the Tesla process as buying our last BMW and Lexus. I stongly encourage you to work the process and become a happy Tesla owner. It's a great car!

I don’t know how to make the people in the showroom more helpful about the car that you’re specifically looking at, unfortunately. I’m not sure what year car you’re specifically looking at getting, but I'm also in Vegas and have a 2017 S with standard audio that you’re more than welcome to play with at some point if that would help you with your audio questions.

What do u think about LV service department? How long is wait to make appointment? Are u happy with everything?

Our CPO purchase a few months ago was very positive, especially considering how traditional dealership experiences can be.

It is true that you can't test drive the car you're interested in and the showroom staff likely know nothing of the process other than sending you to the online site. Although one floor person was able to connect us directly with an OA.

Stick with being persistent in getting a contact for an Owner Advisor. Once we were in touch with an Owner Advisor, we communicated daily and he was very attentive to every question/need/process. We were told up front that our deposit would lock in a car until we saw it and if we weren't happy we could refuse the car and apply the deposit on another until we got one we wanted to leave with. Or take it as a refund (yes you have to wait for it in that case). Keep in mind that any car you're interested in can dissappear quickly unless you place a deposit, as good ones can move fast. The OA can get detailed pictures of any car you're interested in and do their best to disclose wear items.

I realize every Service Center is different, but the 2 we've dealt with have been as good or better than our BMW or Lexus dealership. And every issue we identified after driving away has been dealt with promptly and thoroughly (no part or appointment delays that others have mentioned). They even sent a mobile tech to my wifes' office to replace door handles 2 days after we contacted them (we're 6 hours from the closest SC).

On the CPO site, every car listed has the details of all options on the car, as well as the warranty it comes with (4yr/50k miles for CPO or 2yr/100k miles for just PO - this is determined by Tesla as to condition/odometer/history etc.) Hint: you pay more for CPO because they have determined the car is in better condition for a better warranty.

Oh, and our sound system smokes the high end ones in our BMW and Lexus, hands down.

We were at least as satisfied dealing with the Tesla process as buying our last BMW and Lexus. I stongly encourage you to work the process and become a happy Tesla owner. It's a great car!

But how do I know if they will give me 2 or 4 years warranty before placing deposit?
And all I read here is 2500$ deposit is not refundable. Is it true?
If they answer my question about warranty and my trade in car right away I would probably buy it now

Do you have a link to the CPO-car you are considering?

We also had kind of a bad experience with the sale process when buying our Tesla, but once the car is delivered its all fine :) Best car i have ever owned, and the service at the local service center is superb.

I didn't know anything about Tesla, I liked what I saw, sat in a few, no test drive, sales lady was great, found me a showroom car, just under 2 weeks, picked up at SC, they were very good, all black, 2017 MS75, AP2 with 14miles on it, learned to drive the car on my own,

I love My Tesla, best car in the world, Thanks Elon

Wow.

Supply and demand at work right there - although to be fair, Model 3 test drives are not easy to come by, and the vast majority of people buying Model 3's right now, are doing so without driving them before hand, myself included.

They don't have to be dicks about it, but with a couple of tens of thousand people in the queue having already parted with a decent amount for cash for a deposit or configuration, someone asking to test drive several models before maybe or maybe not buying a car, isn't the highest priority. You can shop used Teslas on the website very easily.