Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

disappointed of buying process! is this how it should be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do u think about LV service department? How long is wait to make appointment? Are u happy with everything?

I’ve definitely had issues with them in the past, but looking back on them I think a lot of it was due to my damned stubbornness honestly. Recently though things have been pretty smooth. For my last appointment I called on a Monday (hold time was ridiculous, but that’s more due to the stupid call center they switched to I think) and got an appointment for Thursday of the same week. It was for a minor issue, but still nice that it was so quick.

Prior to that I had my car in to get some broken seats fixed. Parts took forever (pretty typical for Tesla, sadly) but the service experience was interesting. They backed my car into something which chipped the paint on the rear bumper. While that’s not good, they immediately called me to let me know and that they were going to send it to the body shop right away. I asked them to get me a price to fix some paint chips on my front bumper while it was in there (I seriously hate taxis out here...) and they said they would.

After about a week of driving the 100D loaner they called me to tell me it was done (they gave me status updates now and again). They fixed my rear bumper AND my front bumper, both for free.

I’ve never heard my coworker complain about them either, for what it’s worth. I’m sure there are some horror stories about the Vegas service center, but I’ve never personally experienced any.

But how do I know if they will give me 2 or 4 years warranty before placing deposit?
And all I read here is 2500$ deposit is not refundable. Is it true?
If they answer my question about warranty and my trade in car right away I would probably buy it now

Where are you finding these cars? The used inventory listings on Tesla's website indicates the warranty length (under the picture) and options on the right. Here is an example in Las Vegas: New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla EV-CPO does a much better job of helping you search though. While some people report that they have been able to roll their deposit to another vehicle or even get a refund on their deposit, the contract states that it can't be rolled or refunded. You take your chances that they won't enforce the contract. Finally, keep calling the number listed on Tesla's used inventory website. Eventually you will get someone that knows what they are doing and eventually someone designated to deal with used cars in your area will contact you. Once this contact has been established you can send them the VINs of cars that you are interested in and they will send you links to actual pictures of the car so that you can better gauge what condition it is in. Tesla's used car buying process is broken, but if you work at it you may eventually find what you are looking for.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
But how do I know if they will give me 2 or 4 years warranty before placing deposit?
And all I read here is 2500$ deposit is not refundable. Is it true?
If they answer my question about warranty and my trade in car right away I would probably buy it now
Sounds like you just need someone to guide you through the process. I would be more than happy to help. Every car listed will come with either a 2 or 4 year warranty. If it has over 50k miles or older than 2014 it has a 2 year warranty. If its less than 50k miles then its a 4 year 50k warranty. the $2500 can be transferred to another car if you change your mind. They do take trade ins but its usually not at the best price possible.

Thank you for your answers!
Well unfortunately i decided to wait 1 or more years.
I was excited to get one soon (maybe now) but this process is still not clear to me.
Will wait and see how it works in future.
Basicaly, i need to order online car i like, pay 2500$ non refundable fee, AND ONLY THEN deal with my trade in,interest rates,condition of the car and car options.
And if everything goes well then i had to deal with ONLY ONE service department in my city and hope they are quick and customer service oriented people.
I dont know, maybe one day.
I see there are many happy Tesla owners but i just dont have patience for it
I have had exceptional service on my car from Tesla. Your delay in getting the car is a mistake, unless of course it is for financial reasons. The purchasing experience is going to remain the same for the foreseeable future.

There is no number on Tesla's used listings anymore, it was removed. It's now email only.

There is still a number listed on the example link I provided. I ran that search on Tesla's website today to find a Model S listed in Vegas. Granted, that is the same number I called earlier this month when I was searching for a Model S and it didn't work very well. I never actually spoke with a used vehicle sales advisor. They took my information and eventually (about a week later after using the link and several more follow up calls) a used vehicle sales advisor for my area contacted me by email.

I have bought 11 Tesla's and still get treated like this from the sales team. It's pretty pathetic.

The service center staff is so much better and having the car is worth dealing with the sales aholes.

Don't take it personally.
holy smokes, that's 11 aka eleven Tesla's !!! I did not know they are that bad that you have to replace them so frequently ;-)

Sounds like you just need someone to guide you through the process. I would be more than happy to help. Every car listed will come with either a 2 or 4 year warranty. If it has over 50k miles or older than 2014 it has a 2 year warranty. If its less than 50k miles then its a 4 year 50k warranty. the $2500 can be transferred to another car if you change your mind. They do take trade ins but its usually not at the best price possible.

They do take trades and in my case they matched a CarMax offer that was about $1,200 higher. I would not %100 rely on being able to transfer your deposit. Based on most experiences I've read on this forum people HAVE been allowed to roll the deposit to another vehicle, but Tesla could choose to hold you to the terms of the contract.

I forgot to mention earlier that they wouldn't even let me look at the vehicle before I signed the paperwork and a test drive was out of the question. Other people have had other experiences in this regard (at least with seeing the vehicle beforehand). The one thing the seems to stand out very clearly when reading accounts of different experiences is that there appears to be very few standards now. The condition the cars are in appears to highly variable as are rules/details/service level of each transaction.

I’ve definitely had issues with them in the past, but looking back on them I think a lot of it was due to my damned stubbornness honestly. Recently though things have been pretty smooth. For my last appointment I called on a Monday (hold time was ridiculous, but that’s more due to the stupid call center they switched to I think) and got an appointment for Thursday of the same week. It was for a minor issue, but still nice that it was so quick.

Prior to that I had my car in to get some broken seats fixed. Parts took forever (pretty typical for Tesla, sadly) but the service experience was interesting. They backed my car into something which chipped the paint on the rear bumper. While that’s not good, they immediately called me to let me know and that they were going to send it to the body shop right away. I asked them to get me a price to fix some paint chips on my front bumper while it was in there (I seriously hate taxis out here...) and they said they would.

After about a week of driving the 100D loaner they called me to tell me it was done (they gave me status updates now and again). They fixed my rear bumper AND my front bumper, both for free.

I’ve never heard my coworker complain about them either, for what it’s worth. I’m sure there are some horror stories about the Vegas service center, but I’ve never personally experienced any.

Where do u live? We live in Summerlin, if u are any close is it possible for my wife to see your car if that's ok with you and when you have time.
Unfortunately car we been looking yesterday was sold overnight. Too bad, it was very good deal. We don't want autopilot .

I love Tesla car but my first experience from Tesla showroom here in Vegas is very bad and after reading their reviews at yelp im not sure what to do.
So i found used model S @ Tesla website and it says its available here locally.
I was very exciting and went to their showroom to see if i can try that car and maybe even purchase it right away.
To my surprise they said they dont deal with used cars and i have to do everything over the phone.
Every question I had about used car they said to go online and look for info!
Then i asked them to try new Model S and they said im lucky because they have one appoitment cancellation and i can do it right away !
(i was only customer in their showroom ).
After trying new Model S (5 min ride) i ask them to try Model 3 also since im there.
They said no, you need appoitment for that and Tesla is allowing to try only one model at the time. Really? What?
Im ready to spend 60k on car maybe right away and you are telling me to come back another time?
Wow.
Then i went home and called Tesla to see how i can try that particular used Model S and they have it on their website.
Representative told me to wait and she is going to call Las Vegas showroom since its available locally.
I told her i just came from there and they dont deal with used cars. She said thats very strange!!
She called them and they didnt answer.
She said she will call me back at the end of the day (now is 6 pm and no call back yet).
After looking at reviews of this Tesla show room people are complaining about customer service and no answering their phone.
Because im new to this i would like to know if this is how it should be?

Car is amazing. You'll like it, no matter which one you get. Test drive is nice to have, but not totally needed.

So:

Go online.
Order.
Pick it up when ready.

And enjoy the no dealer ripping you off feel.

For people that never want to car salespeople again, buying a Tesla is a dream. I bought mine online and talked to someone for a total of 5 minutes. It was the best car buying experience I have ever had and can't imagine doing it any other way.
Buying a Tesla online is a dream if you are buying it cash (or don't really care how much a month the car will cost) and have no trade-in (or don't care what you get for your car).

If you are financing you can't lock in any rates when ordering because banks only lock for 30 days or less, so you're risking $2,500 in case you can't find a loan at a rate you're willing to pay when the car shows up. Also, the online experience doesn't give you any options to customize. Again, if you don't care a about hundred or thee hundred extra per month, then sure, just click agree and wait for them to tell you how much.

Trade-ins are worse. They will lowball you just so you try to sell it yourself as they don't want the car. I once even found a dealer who was willing to buy a car at a higher price than Tesla offered me, but even though initially they said they would do the "trade-through", they ended up saying no to it. The price difference was about $3K, which was a wash since I would get $3K worth of sales tax credit from Tesla if I traded the car to them instead of the dealer. Even when trading an older Tesla, trade-ins are still a nightmare, when I did that, they gave me a trade-in quote valid for 7 or 9 days. By the time the new car showed up 6 weeks later, my old Tesla was valued at $9K less - that's $1,500 per week depreciation. I sold it privately to recoup some of the loss (there was an EV tax exemption in place then, so didn't lose any sales tax credit).

So, while I've met some excellent people at Tesla, the processes imposed by corporate make the process not so pleasant unless you're just buying one with cash and no trade-in, then it's awesome (my first experience was like that). As a comparison, I've made deals with dealerships as far out as 9 months where they guaranteed me my trade-in value (with some limitations on how many miles I can put on a car). And it wasn't some fancy exotic car either, I had an Acura Integra and ordered a Toyota 4Runner which was not yet in production. Porsche dealer gave me a similar deal with 6 months out custom car order. While I've hated the fact that I had to spend hours to make a good deal with dealerships, with Tesla the same hours or more are just spread out in chasing appraisals, financing, etc. Again, if you have no trade-in and cash in hand, the process is a dream. There is something to be said about going to a dealer and driving away few hours later in the new car, having left your trade-in and knowing down to a penny what you're paying.

I was a big fan of Tesla non-dealer model, especially that my first one had no trade in and I had cash. 3 more after than made me miss some of the aspects of the dealer process. The fact that my wife's 6 month old Model S trunk won't close sometimes leaving the car not drivable safely, and the first appointment at a service center is a month away, that also leaves me missing the dealers, and serious manufacturers who can produce a car I can buy and not have to keep fixing. The fixing was an annoyance when service centers were not overloaded so you could get in quick, but with recent doubling of the fleet with Model 3's and not doubling of the service center resources, that is now becoming more than just annoying.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
If you are financing you can't lock in any rates when ordering because banks only lock for 30 days or less, so you're risking $2,500 in case you can't find a loan at a rate you're willing to pay when the car shows up. Also, the online experience doesn't give you any options to customize. Again, if you don't care a about hundred or thee hundred extra per month, then sure, just click agree and wait for them to tell you how much.

If your credit situation is perilous enough where you have to worry if you'll get approved for a loan or not, you should not be buying a tesla.

Reactions: born2run
... Then i asked them to try new Model S and they said im lucky because they have one appointment cancellation and i can do it right away !
(i was only customer in their showroom ).
After trying new Model S (5 min ride) i ask them to try Model 3 also since im there.
They said no, you need appointment for that and Tesla is allowing to try only one model at the time. Really? What? ...
We had a similar situation, but with a different experience with the people involved. We scheduled a model 3 test drive. It went great. My wife liked the car, but liked the S better. We asked to test drive one and they said they didn't have any appointments available that day (Saturday). Bummer. But one of them said that since the showroom was closed the following day (Sunday), he'd just bring one to our house and let us test drive it then. That was a great first impression of Tesla and that team.

Sadly, our Tesla customer experience has been a bit lacking after that.

Good luck in finding yourself a Tesla. We love the car, and I'm confident our situation will get resolved eventually. At least we have the car and can drive it.

Chris

$2500 deposit can be transferred To another vehicle If you are not happy and in my case the CPO advisor I worked with said I could get a refund if I wanted but it took about 10 days to process. See attached for my experience.

Here’s my experience if it helps anyone. I put a deposit down on a vehicle and was contacted about 3 days later (it was Friday, so I can excuse the delay on the weekend).

Once the CPO (used car) advisor contacted me, I requested pictures and called him to discuss. We both saw a dent on the rear quarter panel and The vehicle did not meet my expectations, so I told him I was going to pass. He said I can move my deposit or they can hold it until I find a car I like, and I asked if they can refund it. He said no problem, but it takes 10 days or so for it to clear.

I then proceeded to request pictures on about 8 different vehicles in my local area. He continued to work with me until I found a vehicle I was happy with and I finally found one and moved my deposit down.

Just took delivery last week and very happy with the vehicle. It took some time and it took putting a deposit down to get a dedicated CPO advisor to work with me, but all in all, the process was not the nightmare I’ve been reading about that others experiences.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Pics of first car.
Dropbox - P65367 - Mid. Silver MS P85D - Simplify your life

Pics of car I finally bought
Dropbox - P62975 - Simplify your life

Pics of others for reference. The one complaint I have is the inconsistency in picture quality and detail. There are a few with detailed shots of damage or concern areas. I wish all the photo sets were like these.

5YJSA4H24FFP73793 - Dropbox - P73793 - Simplify your life

5YJSA4H42FF098026 - WeGoLook Tesla Location - Vehicle Condition Report: Job #7499 5115

5YJSA1H29FFP79927 - Dropbox - P79927 - Simplify your life

5YJSA1H22EFP63020 - Dropbox - P63020 - Simplify your life

If your credit situation is perilous enough where you have to worry if you'll get approved for a loan or not, you should not be buying a tesla.

And if your credit is any good, you can do better than Tesla either before or after the purchase. Even after the purchase, it's easy to refi before the 1st payment is due. Or, get a quote from their lender, then get pre-approved at a better rate from your own and don't worry about it.

And if your credit is any good, you can do better than Tesla either before or after the purchase. Even after the purchase, it's easy to refi before the 1st payment is due. Or, get a quote from their lender, then get pre-approved at a better rate from your own and don't worry about it.
Good advice, but we got 1.74% through Tesla. I could only find 1.99% outside of them. Shopping for rates is a good plan, though.
Chris