Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not at all, agreed on the hood. But while they acknowledged it they were also hesitant about it too, one guy said it’s within spec, another was like oh wow, that’s far off...

As for the paint personally I wouldn’t repaint, it’s located in highly visible areas that are not flat. You would have to re spray the whole passenger side and blend it into the hood and trunk... Not worth it... worse yet if I look to trade later many dealers use paint thickness meters... I can see me know trying to explain what happened... “you see sir, there was these blemishes and... :eek: :D

just sell the car as is on the blemishes. I would have taken the car if they knocked something off.

When I bought my ELR the lot guy clipped a curb and put a sizable scratch on the passenger side lower valence. I was ok with painting it because the bumper clip is separate and slight paint variations are near impossible to detect, bumpers are typically sprayed separate of the cars at the factory anyway. After discussing options the dealer just took off 1000.00 and I was fine with that. I bought touch up, layered it, wet sanded a few times, could hardly tell afterwards.

I am anal about my cars, but also realize this one will be a long distance work vehicle not a show car. My ELR still looks new after 110k sans a few dings and marks.

May I ask which Tesla center this was? I could probably guess ... Sorry you're going through that. I can recommend some good folks at the Paramus center; they did a fabulous job prepping my car before delivery.

I'm not sure a field repaint would be in order, but they could certainly swap the hood out if the paint blemishes were that bad. I've never had a dealer measure paint; I think that's a bit of excessive. There's many, many vehicles that get rework before you ever see them... unless there was a reason to believe the vehicle was previously damaged, I can't see them using a gauge for a trade. The only difference between Tesla and most other dealers, is that they have a PDI process that ensures those blemishes and misalignments are fixed. That's what Tesla doesn't have (and needs.)

Heck - I just traded my XT5 for the Model 3 in April - the dealership KNEW it had a tailgate replacement (it was smashed in while parked by a truck whose rear gate opened up...)... didn't ding me on the trade, or check the paint or anything...

May I ask which Tesla center this was? I could probably guess ... Sorry you're going through that. I can recommend some good folks at the Paramus center; they did a fabulous job prepping my car before delivery.

I'm not sure a field repaint would be in order, but they could certainly swap the hood out if the paint blemishes were that bad. I've never had a dealer measure paint; I think that's a bit of excessive. There's many, many vehicles that get rework before you ever see them... unless there was a reason to believe the vehicle was previously damaged, I can't see them using a gauge for a trade. The only difference between Tesla and most other dealers, is that they have a PDI process that ensures those blemishes and misalignments are fixed. That's what Tesla doesn't have (and needs.)

Heck - I just traded my XT5 for the Model 3 in April - the dealership KNEW it had a tailgate replacement (it was smashed in while parked by a truck whose rear gate opened up...)... didn't ding me on the trade, or check the paint or anything...

It was Cherry Hill. The blemishes are along the passenger side rear quarter, door and A pilar. I took my ELR to a few places like Carmax and KBB to check value. All of them used the paint thickness meter. It’s been 50/50 in the past when I trade cars, some check some don’t. Obviously Tesla doesn’t. Just not a fan of a re spray if it’s not absolutely necessary, some colors like the red are even worse and very difficult to blend.

If a dealer repairs a car via panels or paint it is supposed to be disclosed. I just don’t remember the amount it must exceed for the disclosure.

I will see what they say tomorrow. I don’t see much floating around in stock, no red with 19” wheels.

It was Cherry Hill. The blemishes are along the passenger side rear quarter, door and A pilar. I took my ELR to a few places like Carmax and KBB to check value. All of them used the paint thickness meter. It’s been 50/50 in the past when I trade cars, some check some don’t. Obviously Tesla doesn’t. Just not a fan of a re spray if it’s not absolutely necessary, some colors like the red are even worse and very difficult to blend.

If a dealer repairs a car via panels or paint it is supposed to be disclosed. I just don’t remember the amount it must exceed for the disclosure.

I will see what they say tomorrow. I don’t see much floating around in stock, no red with 19” wheels.

Ah - if you were further north, I'd recommend Paramus. Nothing but good stories from there. It's amazing how, for company-owned locations, each one really operates pretty independently.

Carmax checked out the XT5 as well - I actually got a higher price selling it back to the Cadillac dealer, if you can believe that. Got out of my lease 6 months early that way, too. They sold it on the lot - it was a Platinum edition, so held its value a little better than the run-of-the-mill XT5. But I digress ...

I don't know what the disclosure amount is but there's always rework - both at the factory (I toured BMW's factory and saw plenty of rework going on), plus after it arrives at the dealership.

Good luck on your hunt - stock seems fairly low; hopefully that's a good sign for a good quarter. If there's anything I can do from up here in Northern NJ for you, just holler!