Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing delivery & condition, returned my X--thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I should eat my words on the lane departure? I could have sworn there were no lane markings on the hill where my steering column vibrated/shuddered, but I went out with my camera just now as I can see the hill where it did that reasonably well from my property and sure enough--it's worn pretty well, but there is a single solid yellow line in places down the middle:
20190111_5501.JPG
Would it go off for such a worn lane marking? If so, then the lane departure warning is really overkill and I can see why some people would disable it. It felt like what my parents' 10 year old car started doing when it needed a major repair (I forget exactly what was wrong--but the steering column would vibrate/shudder harshly and it felt like it was coming from underneath the vehicle).

I didn't notice any lane departure warnings the rest of the time I had the car so I have nothing to compare to and no way of knowing for certain.

Maybe I should eat my words on the lane departure? I could have sworn there were no lane markings on the hill where my steering column vibrated/shuddered, but I went out with my camera just now as I can see the hill where it did that reasonably well from my property and sure enough--it's worn pretty well, but there is a single solid yellow line in places down the middle:View attachment 368075 Would it go off for such a worn lane marking? If so, then the lane departure warning is really overkill and I can see why some people would disable it. It felt like what my parents' 10 year old car started doing when it needed a major repair (I forget exactly what was wrong--but the steering column would vibrate/shudder harshly and it felt like it was coming from underneath the vehicle).

I didn't notice any lane departure warnings the rest of the time I had the car so I have nothing to compare to and no way of knowing for certain.

I would likely go off. The system has no way of knowing you are about to hit a truck coming the other way, cutting the corner a little close, or if your county is skipping on painting road lines.

FWIW, have you had previous cars that had lane departure warning? My BMW was equally as sharp. I am OK with that, since it is better to be annoyed than in a wreck.

One the good side, the BMW and Tesla trained me to watch lane markers like a hawk and never just sort of drift over to turn lanes, a little late.

I would likely go off. The system has no way of knowing you are about to hit a truck coming the other way, cutting the corner a little close, or if your county is skipping on painting road lines.

FWIW, have you had previous cars that had lane departure warning? My BMW was equally as sharp. I am OK with that, since it is better to be annoyed than in a wreck.

One the good side, the BMW and Tesla trained me to watch lane markers like a hawk and never just sort of drift over to turn lanes, a little late.

Yes, the lane departure warning in all other cars that I've driven has just been a local vibration in the steering wheel (or seat in my mom's Cadillac XT5 and brother's Escalade)... nothing like what the Tesla did really. If that was their lane departure warning though, a setting to lessen it would be nice. Even my brother's F-150 has settings for that.

...So I just now watched some videos on it and Bjorn had an old youtube video from 2014 (so maybe it is now out of date?) called "Tesla Model S Driver Assist" that showed the lane departure warning. (At 18:30 that part starts and just after 19:40 is a clear example of it--easy to hear it.) Is the lane departure warning the same in Model X's today? A series of 3 vibrations in the steering wheel? That's not what my car was doing at all.

Yes, the lane departure warning in all other cars that I've driven has just been a local vibration in the steering wheel (or seat in my mom's Cadillac XT5 and brother's Escalade)... nothing like what the Tesla did really. If that was their lane departure warning though, a setting to lessen it would be nice. Even my brother's F-150 has settings for that.

...So I just now watched some videos on it and Bjorn had an old youtube video from 2014 (so maybe it is now out of date?) called "Tesla Model S Driver Assist" that showed the lane departure warning. (At 18:30 that part starts and just after 19:40 is a clear example of it--easy to hear it.) Is the lane departure warning the same in Model X's today? A series of 3 vibrations in the steering wheel? That's not what my car was doing at all.

Knowing Tesla the system has changed over the years. You might visit you local showroom and see if they have a demo X you can try.