Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: All Season Vs Summer Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having variable conditions and running a tire that's good but not the best is easy and requires no storage or switching of wheels.
Plus ultra high performance all season tires are so good now.
Yep, running all-season tires is definitely easy.

I prefer the responsiveness and obvious, demonstrable performance advantage of UHP summer tires in summer:

IMG_5029.png
IMG_5030.png
IMG_5025.png
IMG_5027.png
IMG_5026.png

If you don’t care about shorter braking distances, more lateral grip and better aquaplaning resistance, that’s fine.

I do.

Why aren't you on dot race slicks? You are giving up so much performance!

2 sets of tires is the best setup but not always convenient or necessary. PS4 AS tires are so good that I can run them year round even if I would prefer ps4s for the summer.
And I’ve never said anything other than that all seasons are a compromise, and that people can do what they want, including me.

They are a compromise - this isn’t an opinion, it’s a fact.

Run what you like, but don’t pretend that UHP all seasons are anything but a compromise.

Yep, running all-season tires is definitely easy.

I prefer the responsiveness and obvious, demonstrable performance advantage of UHP summer tires in summer:

View attachment 1041756View attachment 1041757View attachment 1041758View attachment 1041759View attachment 1041760

If you don’t care about shorter braking distances, more lateral grip and better aquaplaning resistance, that’s fine.

I do.

Why aren't you on dot race slicks? You are giving up so much performance!

2 sets of tires is the best setup but not always convenient or necessary. PS4 AS tires are so good that I can run them year round even if I would prefer ps4s for the summer.
Exactly. We've ran 200TW tires as daily tires before. Sure grip is amazing when the temperature is there. But the range, noise and and fair weather performance was the compromise. There are no solutions, only trade offs.

-Danny

There’s no compromise when running the right tire for the conditions. In my case, that’s UHP Summer tires in summer and Performance Winter tires in winter.

But again, do whatever works for you - just don’t suggest that all-seasons are best for anything - they’re a compromise regardless of the conditions.
Rather not go back and forth with someone who has their mind set on such statement.
I do this all day long based on experience and will suggest the most appropriate setup based on the end user's needs. God forbid somebody lives in a completely different region with completely different needs for their car right...

Take care,
Danny

There’s no compromise when running the right tire for the conditions. In my case, that’s UHP Summer tires in summer and Performance Winter tires in winter.

But again, do whatever works for you - just don’t suggest that all-seasons are best for anything - they’re a compromise regardless of the conditions.
All seasons are the best for efficiency.😉

Reactions: Stan930
Rather not go back and forth with someone who has their mind set on such statement.
I do this all day long based on experience and will suggest the most appropriate setup based on the end user's needs. God forbid somebody lives in a completely different region with completely different needs for their car right...

Take care,
Danny
Agreed, since all I’ve ever said is for people to do what works for them!

Reactions: MODEL+
Choosing to hamstring the performance of your car in all conditions by running all season tires is your prerogative.

I choose not to do this. 🤷‍♂️

Sure. But 10-20 years ago that hamstringing was like 20-30%.

Today as your own charts show it's like 2-3%.

And for that 2-3% the tires last 2-3 times longer too.

The trade off in non-ice conditions is vastly smaller than it used to be, and not really worth the hassle (or much higher cost) for most-- you're compromising too-- on tire expense and time to swap.

If you track your car you should have track tires anyway--- I sure did when I tracked. You're hamstringing your car running those summer streets-- don't pretend you're doing anything but compromising :)

Last edited:

Spending money on different sets of tires is also a compromise. You know there's multiple factors that go into tire buying decisions right? Not everyone is as compelled or has the bandwidth or financials to change tires twice a year. Same goes for all kinds of other buying decisions.

I’m
Sure. But 10-20 years ago that hamstringing was like 20-30%.

Today as your own charts show it's like 2-3%.

And for that 2-3% the tires last 2-3 times longer too.

The trade off in non-ice conditions is vastly smaller than it used to be, and not really worth the hassle (or much higher cost) for most-- you're compromising too-- on tire expense and time to swap.
Agreed, which is why I said: “… compromise the performance of your car…”

Spending money on different sets of tires is also a compromise. You know there's multiple factors that go into tire buying decisions right? Not everyone is as compelled or has the bandwidth or financials to change tires twice a year. Same goes for all kinds of other buying decisions.
Agreed, which is why I said: “…compromise the performance of your car…”

Choosing to hamstring the performance of your car in all conditions by running all season tires is your prerogative.

I choose not to do this. 🤷‍♂️
This is ridiculous. All seasons are the best choice the majority of people. As I said offer a no cost AST option on the M3P and I’ll bet you $20 that that the take rate is 75 percent or higher. This forum is hardly representative of the average buyer.