Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: All Season Vs Summer Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed it does!

For example at 8:55 in the video we see the all season AS4 outperforming the summer PS4s in wet braking, once again debunking your earlier claim that summer tires always outperform all-seasons when not snow testing.
Yep, and the video also proves my overarching point that all-seasons are a performance compromise. They're outperformed by the summer tires in all but one non-winter test, plus feel the best to drive, and they're outperformed by the dedicated winter tires and the all-weather tires in all the winter testing.

Ergo: performance compromise.

1714147123962.gif

Reactions: Lindenwood
Yep, and the video also proves my overarching point that all-seasons are a performance compromise. They're outperformed by the summer tires in all but one non-winter test

if a thing is better SOME of the time then it's not ALWAYS a performance compromise. SOME of the time it's a performance IMPROVEMENT.

Thus EITHER choice is a compromise on at least one objective PERFORMANCE measurement.

Thus debunking yet another claim of yours.

Not to mention most of the places the summer tire does NOT lose are areas having:

No relevance to street driving
AND
Are places relevant to track driving- where the SUMMER TIRE IS A COMPROMISE versus a dedicated track tire.

Ergo: performance compromise.

If you still want to beat this debunked drum can you explain why you're ok putting what you told us were less safe tires on your wifes vehicle?

Is the marriage not going well- or do you realize when your own posts from another thread are cited maybe you don't believe your claims quite as much as you're trying to convince us?

Reactions: mpgxsvcd and 804son
I live in central Maryland. Being retired I never have to drive my Model 3 in snow or ice. And, if something changed and I did have to drive in snow or ice I'd drive my wife's ICE mini van.

I'm probably a year away from needing tires, but I'm seriously interested in the Hankook summer tires. My number one objective is to get a quiet tire.
Summer tires usually aren't the quietest tires out there. The all seasons tend to be the best for that. The quietest tires I've ever had on any of my cars were the General Altimax 365AW. That said, quiet has never been my top priority for a tire, so I haven't tried many of the tires that are designed to be quiet.

Reactions: DeltaOne
Summer tires usually aren't the quietest tires out there. The all seasons tend to be the best for that. The quietest tires I've ever had on any of my cars were the General Altimax 365AW. That said, quiet has never been my top priority for a tire, so I haven't tried many of the tires that are designed to be quiet.
That’s the reason I didn’t try to go back and get the summer version of the ION Evo’s to replace the AS version I just got a few weeks ago. I really like how quiet these are.

For the first 5 or 6 years here, I did the summer/winter tire thing, typically PS4S and Sottozero 3. The problem with that is that during winter, it's not uncommon to have snow and temperatures in the 50s or 60s on the same day, and over the course of a week, it's typical for most of the winter to see these kind of variable conditions.
Good write-up.

The "incompatible with summer and winter in the same day" issue is something I stressed a bit about this winter for a trip to California in December on winters on with our X.

Good write-up.

The "incompatible with summer and winter in the same day" issue is something I stressed a bit about this winter for a trip to California in December on winters on with our X.
As long as you don't drive too aggressively and overheat the tires, winter tires generally work okay in warm, dry weather. They still wear a lot faster than they would normally, but they generally have good grip and work pretty well. Now, I'm talking about a 70 to 80 degree day here in Colorado, not a 120 degree day in the desert. I never tried that, nor do I plan to. :)

A cross country trip where you can hit serious snow and serious temperatures in the same trip is tough, and really calls for an all season or all weather tire. I thought of driving on a set of winter tires from Colorado to California and back one year, but with only about a third of the tread left, I was concerned that the tires might wear out before I made it back. I ended up flying instead.

Has anyone tried the Ion evo AS and Pilot sport 4 AS?
Really looking for a comparison of the at the limit handling.
This is the comparison I want to see. I’m in between the PSAS4, Hankook Evo Ion, and the Falken fk460 AS…

Mainly looking for decent sportiness and most importantly, QUIET ride after 12-15k miles of use.

The PS4S (non foam) are super loud after 18k miles and have around 5/32 tread left. Literally have to talk with authority to have a conversation at 80mph due to the tire noise.

This is the comparison I want to see. I’m in between the PSAS4, Hankook Evo Ion, and the Falken fk460 AS…

Mainly looking for decent sportiness and most importantly, QUIET ride after 12-15k miles of use.

The PS4S (non foam) are super loud after 18k miles and have around 5/32 tread left. Literally have to talk with authority to have a conversation at 80mph due to the tire noise.
Realistically nothing will match the michelin as far as actual handling, braking, etc. Especially not Hankooks or Falkens. But yes, they are loud.

Realistically nothing will match the michelin as far as actual handling, braking, etc. Especially not Hankooks or Falkens. But yes, they are loud.
Yeah mainly looking for sound levels to go down on the next set. I don’t drive 10/10 all the time anymore and got that outta my system on this set of PS4S’.

Looking to quiet things down and AS tires are the way I think.

its really about driving style, location, and climate. the majority of drivers on the roads are casual drivers. they wouldn't know the difference as they'll hardly ever go 20+ over the speed limit, especially when its raining, they'll usually go like 10 under the speed limit. for them, a decent, value priced tire is all they need/want. and for the majority, they are 9-5 stuck in rush hour traffic most of the time anyways.

i'm 545am-2pm, so traffic is very light at 5am, and not too bad at 2pm. i don't go to the drag strip anymore, but i still drive aggressively. it hardly snows in Houston, but we do get a lot of rain, so for me, i want excellent dry and wet handling and braking year round.

its really about driving style, location, and climate. the majority of drivers on the roads are casual drivers. they wouldn't know the difference as they'll hardly ever go 20+ over the speed limit, especially when its raining, they'll usually go like 10 under the speed limit. for them, a decent, value priced tire is all they need/want. and for the majority, they are 9-5 stuck in rush hour traffic most of the time anyways.

i'm 545am-2pm, so traffic is very light at 5am, and not too bad at 2pm. i don't go to the drag strip anymore, but i still drive aggressively. it hardly snows in Houston, but we do get a lot of rain, so for me, i want excellent dry and wet handling and braking year round.
What’s your tire of choice for your use case?

All the engine power, suspension tuning and brakes in the world can’t show their best without tires that allow the car to perform its best. All tires are a compromise of some type, but when maximum street performance is the goal for any high-performance vehicle, the OEM tires are usually UHP summer tires.
When replacing tires on any of our vehicles, I’ve tried to buy better-performing tires than what’s being replaced.
Others want to save $$$ - that’s cool, and understandable as they’ve already decided what’s most important to them when making that choice.

Reactions: Skavatar