Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: How to get status information from your Powerwalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are lots of ways to accomplish what OP is after and most have been identified in this thread. However, after trying many of the methods in this thread (yes, my interest had me learn how to deploy Linux, learn the basics of CURL commands, create docker containers and VMs so I could install tools like Powerwall-Dashboard and Home Assistant with community store extensions like Tesla Custom Integration), I discovered something new recently.

For those using Apple devices, my favorite way to monitor my Tesla solar power generation and storage system is an app I found a month ago called Netzero for Tesla.

This app runs well on iOS and iPadOS. And the iPadOS version even runs on MacOS (something even the official Tesla app doesn't do). It allows you to visualize all your system statistics like power use, battery use, import and export. But it also has a feature that lets you get "Gateway Diagnostics." This allows you to see your Gateway firmware version, how long it has been running, and your power wall statistics. Here are mine. A couple things to note. Powerwalls are spec'd at 13.5Wh capacities, but come with more capacity than that. You can see below that my two newest power walls (I have 4 in total), actually have more than expected energy capacity. The I have two other power walls that have degraded to the point where they are at 0% degredation (after five years of use).

What I love most is that your data isn't stored on servers controlled by the developer. The data stays with Tesla and the app only presents the information.

I highly recommend giving Netzero for Tesla a try. It's an amazing app with a developer that responds to reviews on the App Store and email messages to support.

Image 1-9-24 at 8.41 AM.jpeg

For those using Apple devices, my favorite way to monitor my Tesla solar power generation and storage system is an app I found a month ago called Netzero for Tesla.

The creator of that app is a member here (@offandonagain ) and there is a thread here on it currently:

I think it works for both iOS and Android, actually.

All my PW2 scripts use the Owner API so I won’t be affected until the Owner API is decommissioned. I’m hoping there will be a free tier in the Fleet API and I will port my scripts over.
Well @Vostok my script (setting mode and backup reserve percentage) using the Owner API failed this morning with "HTTPError: 412 Client Error: Endpoint is only available on fleetapi" so I'm looking at how I get permission as merely an owner to use the Fleet API.

At 00:30 GMT scripts ran just fine, 4:30 GMT they didn't, so the change is pretty recent and not sure if there are any regional server aspects involved. Is official confirmation possible?

Also if anyone is familiar with getting Fleet API account access as an owner I would like to know your experience.

Well @Vostok my script (setting mode and backup reserve percentage) using the Owner API failed this morning with "HTTPError: 412 Client Error: Endpoint is only available on fleetapi" so I'm looking at how I get permission as merely an owner to use the Fleet API.

Interesting… my PW2 script worked fine 22 hours ago, so let’s see if it fails in 2 hours time. I’ll let you know what happens!

Interesting… my PW2 script worked fine 22 hours ago, so let’s see if it fails in 2 hours time. I’ll let you know what happens!
Sorry @Vostok,possibly a false alarm on my part. My scripts are based on Tim Drossers TeslaPy and had unnecessary use of api/1/vehicles endpoint. That endpoint is what vanished over night, so I can get around it. But it has kicked me in the pants to look at swapping to Fleet API, just not sure how best to get permission as an owner (or third-party developer with one user and a script that is hardly an app!)

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Sorry @Vostok,possibly a false alarm on my part. My scripts are based on Tim Drossers TeslaPy and had unnecessary use of api/1/vehicles endpoint. That endpoint is what vanished over night, so I can get around it.

Yeah my PW2 script ran fine just now, but it doesn’t call any vehicle endpoints. I used to use TeslaPy but got sick of it breaking now and again so I rewrote my code to all be native.

But my excess solar charging script might fail tomorrow though - it’s going to be a hot sunny day in Sydney and hence likely triggered at some point. We’ll see what happens.