Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure about the other advice here. But I’m in Adelaide and had almost exactly the same experience, and level of degradation. Mine was installed Apr 2020, so a couple of months before yours, it’s also continuing to degrade by 0.5-1% per month. Tesla initially declined my warranty claim. But with some strong pushing of the retailer and looking at the definition of a Major fault under the ACCC consumer law have Tesla have now agreed to replace it under warranty. In my opinion nearly 20% degradation after 18 months is a major failure. 1). Had you known that level of degradation would occur would you have bought it? 2). Does 11.5kwh usable after barely 12 months meet any reasonable persons definition of acceptable wear. 3) Does it meet the description of what was sold? 3). Have Tesla / retailer been upfront about expected Degradation.

If you read the ACCC website, you will see that your retailer must replace it under Australian law. They cannot fob you off to Tesla either. You may have to make some noise / be prepared to take it to small claims court. But in my Opinion Australian Consumer law is on your side, and it’s not a close call either.

Look at the testing done on the powerwall and other batteries by the battery test centre. Plus degredation on mobile phone batteries, for some evidence on what is reasonable.

Based on my research this issue is only impacting a relatively small number of people, but given it requires people to actively check and have some technical ability it may just be that the problem may not be obvious.

I want to believe it is a good product, but I think Tesla need to step up their support. The 30% 10 year is a cop out warranty, and Australian Consumer Laws overrides it.

Reactions: sczsimos and paulp
The 30% 10 year is a cop out warranty, and Australian Consumer Laws overrides it.

On the flip side, I want to delay my warranty claim as long as possible, so that the replacement battery hopefully has better chemistry and is longer lasting, so therefore takes me further into the future - on top of delaying when the replacement is done.

Also, by waiting for the capacity to drop below 70% before the 10 years is up (which mine definitely will), Tesla can’t fight it and force you to use your own time and efforts to get the claim recognised if you try earlier. Tesla simply has to pony up a new battery. End of.

Reactions: sczsimos
I considered that path. But after 2 years they can insist on repair. So you only get a refurbished system. Prior to 2 years they have to replace it if that is what you want. Plus who is to say it’s not actually a crappy charging system as opposed to bad cells.

At least the Powerwalls aren't overheating and catching fire

Max charge is being software limited to 75% for those LG's until they replace them
Well not entirely. There was a destructive battery fire in Adelaide last week and although the brand hasn’t been disclosed the ruins certainly look like a powerwall. However there is also a massive amount of debri which suggests there may have been a lot of stuff stacked up around it, probably blocking airflow.

Well not entirely. There was a destructive battery fire in Adelaide last week and although the brand hasn’t been disclosed the ruins certainly look like a powerwall. However there is also a massive amount of debri which suggests there may have been a lot of stuff stacked up around it, probably blocking airflow.

This is a shot of the V2 Tesla Gateway mounted outside of the garage. Given that a Tesla Gateway works with a Tesla Battery, it is a good possibility it was a Tesla Powerwall 2.

However, all we can say for certain is the battery was consumed by fire. It has yet to be determined if the battery was the cause, or if it was the installation (cable wasn't torqued down correctly and got hot) or something else in the garage.

Channel 9 News Story - Burton house gutted

Attachments

• Tesla Gateway.png
    Tesla Gateway.png
    276.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
This is a shot of the V2 Tesla Gateway mounted outside of the garage. Given that a Tesla Gateway works with a Tesla Battery, it is a good possibility it was a Tesla Powerwall 2.

However, all we can say for certain is the battery was consumed by fire. It has yet to be determined if the battery was the cause, or if it was the installation (cable wasn't torqued down correctly and got hot) or something else in the garage.

Channel 9 News Story - Burton house gutted
It wasnt fully consumed. The outer shell remained intact with the shape and vent holes visible. It was on the ground so either the bracket melted or the firies pulled it off.
i’m having a heat detector installed above mine on Tuesday.

My PW2 is installed outside on a brick wall away from anything flammable, so if it does decide to combust for any reason, it should not take out much else. I also check it regularly to ensure there is no leaf litter piling up around it.

My PW2 has done 577 cycles in the past 2.5 years (avg 0.63 cycles per day), and current capacity is 10.25 kWh or 77.6% of original rated capacity. Odds-on that I will get a warranty replacement within 10 years - more like 4.

My PW2 is installed outside on a brick wall away from anything flammable, so if it does decide to combust for any reason, it should not take out much else. I also check it regularly to ensure there is no leaf litter piling up around it.

My PW2 has done 577 cycles in the past 2.5 years (avg 0.63 cycles per day), and current capacity is 10.25 kWh or 77.6% of original rated capacity. Odds-on that I will get a warranty replacement within 10 years - more like 4.
How do you find the number of cycles and remaining capacity?

• Helpful
Reactions: paulp and Hairyman

Number of cycles is simply adding up all the power (kWh) that has gone into, and out of, the PW2 since the dawn of time and dividing by (2 x 13.2). Since I log all my 5-minute charging data, this is easy to do.

Current capacity is fetched using the Tesla API as pointed to by @Nobody Famous - either by connecting to the Gateway directly or via the Tesla network API. You need a bit of coding skills to do this or use third party tools, but I wrote my own.

Apparently the Gateway API can also reveal the total energy charged and discharged (avoiding the need to data log) but it’s a bit more complicated and I’ve never tried it.

Reactions: paulp