Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion of Space Tourism and Commercialization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A problem that some of us would have with going to space is that microgravity is said to induce the most extreme form of motion sickness. I get motion sick on rocking chairs. There's a reason that airplane is called the vomit comet. Then there's the problem for wimps and scaredy cats like me of sitting on top of three hundred thousand pounds of rocket fuel. And you have to be physically fit. Well, turns out there's an alternative, a comfortable one-G the whole way, a six-hour trip that gets you three hours at 25 kilometers, above 98% of the Earth's atmosphere: A luxury stratospheric balloon:

Not quite "space," but almost as good for a tiny fraction the price and no discomfort. (And the carbon footprint of a pair of denim jeans.)

Supposed to start carrying passengers in two years.

A problem that some of us would have with going to space is that microgravity is said to induce the most extreme form of motion sickness
Certainly true for some people, but not for many people. For example, on the SpaceX Inspiration 4 mission one of the four people had serious motion sickness issues, but the other three were okay.

Should be relatively easy for space tourism companies to develop techniques screen out those who would likely not be able to tolerate zero-G. Space Adaptation Syndrome affects roughly half of those who spend time in orbit or beyond, and the symptoms range from debilitating to merely mild and often resolve in a few days. If they didn’t, getting work done on the ISS would be impossible and we know those astronauts have a very full and demanding schedule during their time on station.

As for the Zephalto balloon idea, personally I am not interested. If I am going to spend all that money to go that high, I want to experience weightlessness as part of the trip. But I’m sure there is a market for that kind of balloon trip.

This will be my first step before hopefully — some day — going to LEO. https://www.gozerog.com/

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Certainly true for some people, but not for many people. For example, on the SpaceX Inspiration 4 mission one of the four people had serious motion sickness issues, but the other three were okay.

Should be relatively easy for space tourism companies to develop techniques screen out those who would likely not be able to tolerate zero-G. Space Adaptation Syndrome affects roughly half of those who spend time in orbit or beyond, and the symptoms range from debilitating to merely mild and often resolve in a few days. If they didn’t, getting work done on the ISS would be impossible and we know those astronauts have a very full and demanding schedule during their time on station.

As for the Zephalto balloon idea, personally I am not interested. If I am going to spend all that money to go that high, I want to experience weightlessness as part of the trip. But I’m sure there is a market for that kind of balloon trip.

This will be my first step before hopefully — some day — going to LEO. https://www.gozerog.com/

People considering space flight are typically screened for motion sickness. Those of us who are more susceptible to it are cut from the program. This greatly reduces the problem on the ISS.

My point in posting was not to suggest that nobody should go to orbit on a space rocket. It was to spread the word that for those of us who cannot, due to motion sickness or fear of an exploding rocket, there is an alternative that provides some of the experience (i.e. the view) without any of the discomfort, and at a TINY fraction of the cost and a much lower level of risk.

A stratospheric balloon flight is not for everybody, but I submit that it's within reach of far more people than a space rocket, and is a much longer experience than a sub-orbital rocket like Bezos's space phallus.

Trip to the ISS: $50,000,000.
Trip on Zephalto's balloon: $132,000.
Trip on the Vomit Comet: Around $9,000.

All three are adventures that will appeal to some individuals. I had not seen the balloon mentioned here previously. And of the three it's the only one that would be remotely possible for me or for people with my particular affliction. I don't plan on doing it, but it's at least physically possible for me.

The commercial spaceflight industry wants to

[extend] the current restriction on the Federal Aviation Administration’s ability to regulate safety for people who fly on commercial spacecraft.

Anybody remember a certain deep-sea submersible whose CEO famously said that safety obstructs innovation? Anybody remember what happened to the CEO and the other passengers on the sub he had built without regard to safety? Yep, it imploded and killed them all.

Space flight is far more dangerous and risky than a properly-designed deep-sea submersible. Even with safety in mind, people will die. People have a right to take risks. But companies charging money to take passengers should be required to follow the very strictest safety measures. Until they are willing and able to put safety first, they should not be allowed to sell tickets to paying passengers.

FWIW, I think that SpaceX is doing it right. They don't put people on space rockets until those rockets have been made as safe as possible. The rest of the space flight industry should be required to do likewise.

(Parenthetically, I've gone down two thousand feet in a deep-sea submersible --not the one that imploded-- and IMO the deep sea is far more fascinating than space. And once you leave the surface and start to descend, there's no motion sickness.)

Reactions: scaesare
  • Informative
What exactly are the services they provide to deserve this description,

" space industry leader as the only full-service mission provider to carry out end-to-end commercial astronaut missions to the orbiting laboratory.

What exactly are the services they provide to deserve this description,
You could read what they say on their website.
Missions with Axiom include seventeen weeks of expert training at space agency facilities that only a privileged few get to see.
Training prepares the participant as an astronaut, develops a deep camaraderie with fellow astronauts, and truly inaugurates one as a member of the exclusive space traveler family.

Each astronaut’s experience in the perch overlooking Earth is unique and personal, and visitors to orbit have carried out a broad range of activities. Axiom works with its private astronauts to design an optimal itinerary. Examples include STEM education outreach, research, filmmaking and photography, and support for philanthropic causes.
They handle everything, including contracting for a flight with SpaceX. Imagine approaching SpaceX as an individual saying “Hey I want to go to LEO!” but knowing nothing about what is involved. SpaceX would likely just ignore you. Axiom has experience and knows how to make it happen. I am not aware of any other private company right now that does what they do.

Their private missions are giving the company valuable experience that they will apply once they build their own LEO space station.

Currently, SpaceX is the only private company that offers non-NASA flights to LEO using its own rockets — like the Inspiration 4 mission — and so far they have done that only once for a group that was recruited and organized by someone outside of SpaceX, I think it’s fair for Axiom to say they are “full service” for flights to the ISS. They contract for a rocket and train their customers.

You could read what they say on their website.

They handle everything, including contracting for a flight with SpaceX. Imagine approaching SpaceX as an individual saying “Hey I want to go to LEO!” but knowing nothing about what is involved. SpaceX would likely just ignore you. Axiom has experience and knows how to make it happen. I am not aware of any other private company right now that does what they do.

Their private missions are giving the company valuable experience that they will apply once they build their own LEO space station.

Missions with Axiom include seventeen weeks of expert training at space agency facilities that only a privileged few get to see.
Training prepares the participant as an astronaut, develops a deep camaraderie with fellow astronauts, and truly inaugurates one as a member of the exclusive space traveler family.

Each astronaut’s experience in the perch overlooking Earth is unique and personal, and visitors to orbit have carried out a broad range of activities. Axiom works with its private astronauts to design an optimal itinerary. Examples include STEM education outreach, research, filmmaking and photography, and support for philanthropic causes.

Gah... with quotes like:

"...only a privileged few get to see.", "...develops a deep camaraderie with fellow astronauts...", "...inaugurates one as a member of the exclusive space traveler family...", and "...ach astronaut’s experience in the perch overlooking Earth is unique and personal,"

It reads more like an exclusive vacation destination aimed at the rich and famous, than a space program. Do they include complimentary Grey Poupon?