Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powershare [V2X feature currently announced for Cybertruck]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's Cybertruck offically has Power sharing. "No additional equipment required when homes are equipped with Powerwall and Wall Connector."

1701381467128.png

Tesla's Cybertruck offically has Power sharing. "No additional equipment required when homes are equipped with Powerwall and Wall Connector."

View attachment 995158

Yep, Cybertruck only as of now, but I'm really looking forward to this on other Tesla models.

I seem to remember reading that the electronics necessary to achieve this have been a part of some or all models for some time now. Does anyone else remember that?

I seem to remember reading that the electronics necessary to achieve this have been a part of some or all models for some time now. Does anyone else remember that?
No, I remember the opposite, actually... that no Teslas currently in production (other than very old roadsters) have bi directional charging ports.

I had an engineer friend get all excited when he thought he discovered that the on board charger could be run backwards to generate AC from the cars battery and it was just software on the Model 3 standing in the way. Well, software and 3 important components that were not included in the old Model 3s. Elon was correct when he said at the time that the Teslas couldn't provide power, but I do wonder if that's different on the new models, could you get a device like the Hyundai has to add a 120v outlet to the power plug on the car? That is such a useful device.

Reactions: Olle
Hope this becomes available to future models. Pretty useful if you only have one or two PW and need more capacity for a longer outage, especially in the winter.
Especially if you can recharge your Powerwalls from the vehicle. That way in an extended power outage you can take the vehicle somewhere there is power and recharge it and bring it back.

It only says that in one of the two spots. It will be interesting to see which is correct. Or if it is really a Universal Wall Connector without a Powerwall and a normal Wall Connector will work with a Powerwall.
Yeah. I got excited. Then I re read it after watching a YouTube video. I was going to order a TWC. Now I will wait and see if I need to order a UWC.

Yeah. I got excited. Then I re read it after watching a YouTube video. I was going to order a TWC. Now I will wait and see if I need to order a UWC.
You may want to wait, unless your need or now. It looks like Tesla will offer a package that includes the necessary hardware and installation. (It says installer costs over $4k will be an extra charge, so it probably won't be cheap.)

Reactions: Jones1
It’s confirmed. You will need a Universal Wall Connector. So if you have Tesla Gateway already. That’s all you will need. I’m still waiting. Because Tesla makes changes on the fly.

Im likely being dense, but where does it say that? I realize both You and @MP3Mike are seeing it somewhere, but I guess I missed it on the power share page thats linked.

Edit: I looked again and see "universal wall connector" in the list of requirements, but where are you seeing that a regular tesla wall connector + tesla powerwall gateway does not work? Its a bit academic for me, since I would never buy the cybertruck (its one of the ugliest vehicles I have ever seen in my entire life, to me).

If they extend powershare to other Tesla vehicles, however, it would definitely make me consider selling my current model 3 and Y and getting ones with those features. I have always thought Tesla would make this type of feature available to people with Tesla gateways, and the permitting around those (so powerwall customers, or those willing to install all the hardware that comes with a powerwall except the powerwall).

It makes too much sense not to, just like it makes zero sense for tesla to offer this to people who DONT have all that stuff (basically all the people who think they are going to pull up and plug their car into their house without a bunch of specific equipment installed).

I’m on the fence. Not knowing when I’ll get my CT and in No rush to spend money on any Wall connector. Tesla may change it later. But for now not only says Universal Wall Connector. Which is $595.

It doesn’t say it will. So we are going with the logic of it won’t.
Well,

You said "its confirmed", so I thought you were pointing to something where it was confirmed that existing installations wouldnt work. It also says, specifically "No additional equipment required when homes are equipped with Powerwalls and tesla wall connectors" (note that it specifically does NOT say "tesla universal wall connectors", but "tesla wall connectors"

To me, this specifically says "it will" (work with people who have tesla powerwalls and existing wall connectors of any type), so unless it says it specifically wont, that should be the expectation.

Well,

You said "its confirmed", so I thought you were pointing to something where it was confirmed that existing installations wouldnt work. It also says, specifically "No additional equipment required when homes are equipped with Powerwalls and tesla wall connectors" (note that it specifically does NOT say "tesla universal wall connectors", but "tesla wall connectors"

To me, this specifically says "it will" (work with people who have tesla powerwalls and existing wall connectors of any type), so unless it says it specifically wont, that should be the expectation.
It says wall connector. Not Tesla Wall connector. Look at the Tesla wall connector. Do they say PowerShare? No.