Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powerwall 3 [Speculation / Discussion etc]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got off the call with my Tesla advisor and I'll be damned that is not what I expected to hear lol. Lots to unpack here:
  1. My advisor does not know why my HVAC unit is incompatible per the design team. He agreed this is an atypical answer for a typical/normal house. He has not seen this before and he said he has a lot of experience FWIW. He has submitted a request for the load calc/exact reason as to what the issue is to the design team.
  2. My utility apparently only allows max 20 kW AC power which they have maxed out per my design plans. I did just find something similar in the solar rate schedule, pic below, but that seems to me to be related to solar power, not an ESS? Anyways the issue is not "amount of power" available it seems; it is specific to my HVAC unit. Again it is brand new 5 ton Trane heat pump with a 152.5 LRA rating.
  3. I am getting one PW3 and two PW2's. They are apparently compatible/interoperable. The reason I am not getting three PW3's is bc my utility only allows for 20 kW AC as noted previously and 3 PW3's would be more like 30+ kW I think.
  4. I pointed out to my advisor the PW3 FAQ page that says PW3 and PW2/+ are not compatible. He said that is written for existing installs but they are compatible/interoperable for new installs.
  5. My advisor mentioned PW3 has a max 150 LRA rating, but then I pointed out per the Powerwall spec sheets available on Tesla's website that is per Powerwall and I have 3 total. Even if the other two are PW2's my HVAC unit should be compatible.
  6. I just received my current spec plans via email so I need to digest all of the info in there as well.
A whirlwind of a call! I will find out design's answer as to why my HVAC is not compatible next week.

View attachment 985813
Update:

I just looked at my plans and it looks there is only one powerwall, not three in the plans. There is no mention of any other Powerwalls other than one PW3. Looks like definitely an error on their part which my advisor did not catch. So I have no idea if what my advisor said is correct or not regarding PW3 & PW2 compatibility as there are no PW2's in my design PDF anywhere. Just PW3 spec sheets and pics.

Also note they don't even have a backup panel in the design below; the diagram shows whole home backup.

See below:

View attachment 985817
See my posts in another thread above - I am apparently getting Powerwall 3 but they forgot two of the three Powerwalls I ordered in my design plans! Lol

Reactions: willow_hiller
I got my drawing, but don't see the 2 powerwalls unless I'm missing something.

1698443314974.png

Ask for the 'complete plan set'. The number of pages can probably vary but my last one was 16 pages. They typically upload it to the documents section in your account and you can download the PDF from there.
Thanks for that. I asked for it and they sent it to me. I'm getting two Powerwall 3s!

1698682945408.png

1698683045445.png

Are the 2 built-in inverters enough for a 14.175 kW system (35 panels) or will there be clipping?

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I asked for it and they sent it to me. I'm getting two Powerwall 3s!

View attachment 986488

View attachment 986489

Are the 2 built-in inverters enough for a 14.175 kW system (35 panels) or will there be clipping?
Awesome!

I should be getting my updated plans soon this week. Hoping they simply add the 2 missing PW3's I ordered and don't "downgrade" me to PW2's!

I see no real functionality that says a PW3 overall is better than a PW2, other than mine is bigger than yours. :)
They are LFP, which is better for storage systems in terms of degradation and safety. Also, if I recall correctly a single PW3 can output 11.5kW continuous, where a PW2 can only do 7kW, with a limited peak of 10kW. (LRA motor start of 150A vs. 106A)

That doesn't even cover the solar inverter portion that PW2 doesn't have, and is better than what the Powerwall+ has.

So yeah, PW3 has a number of advantages over the older generation.

Last edited:
They are LFP, which is better for storage systems in terms of degradation and safety. Also, if I recall correctly a single PW3 can output 11.5kW continuous, where a PW2 can only do 7kW, with a limited peak of 10kW. (LRA motor start of 150A vs. 106A)
@h2ofun has 7 PW's so that really isn't a concern for him.

Outside of LFP chemistry, PW3 doesn't really do much for someone with multiple Powerwalls vs PW2/+. For a single PW setup PW3 is obviously a big improvement.

I personally am getting 3 PW's, but I like the LFP chemistry and smaller form factor for the location on my house Tesla has chosen. If end up getting PW2/+ I won't be too upset.

Reactions: h2ofun

While with Tesla you never really know until they start shipping, but wasn't the 11.5 kW continuous power a solar + storage combined capacity, i.e. only under full sun?

If it turns out to be a different battery chemistry, that might be a plus, but I think that the devil is in the details.

Reactions: h2ofun
While with Tesla you never really know until they start shipping, but wasn't the 11.5 kW continuous power a solar + storage combined capacity, i.e. only under full sun?

If it turns out to be a different battery chemistry, that might be a plus, but I think that the devil is in the details.
It is for sure LFP. Here is the spec sheet from my plan set also for ref:

1698694909351.png