Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powerwall 3 [Speculation / Discussion etc]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@jesaf00, I was messing around in Tesla Pros app and on the networking tab that shows 3 options( WiFi, Ethernet, and Cellular), I touched on the cellular part and it didn’t seem like it did anything but after looking at other stuff I went back to the networking tab and cellular was checked instead of WiFi. Coincidentally, my error message about the CAN wiring/ unable to read data went away and all 3 PW have a check next to them, where as before only the main one did. Not sure if changing it to cellular did anything but I’m back with the WiFi checked and they are all still showing green. Might be worth giving it a try.
So I decided to pop off the front today and see if maybe the ethernet cable was bad. The cable is fine between them. However, when I press on the bottom wiring harness on the bottom left, the middle power wall actually came on. It seems that I have a short or something in that wire bundle. That’s causing the issues. Now I can see information for both my second and third PW but the third one is just sitting in standby. When I choose to disconnect from WiFi, only the primary does and the other 2 are still connected to my WiFi. Now showing battery expansion can error on 1 and 2 which is different than before.

Attachments

• IMG_0529.jpeg
    IMG_0529.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0096.jpeg
    IMG_0096.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: Docfxit and Matt-FL
So I decided to pop off the front today and see if maybe the ethernet cable was bad. The cable is fine between them. However, when I press on the bottom wiring harness on the bottom left, the middle power wall actually came on. It seems that I have a short or something in that wire bundle. That’s causing the issues. Now I can see information for both my second and third PW but the third one is just sitting in standby. When I choose to disconnect from WiFi, only the primary does and the other 2 are still connected to my WiFi. Now showing battery expansion can error on 1 and 2 which is different than before.
That’s the alert that I was getting but is now gone but I didn’t mess with any of the wiring. I placed another router in my garage and now I can see all 3 PWs in my router app (previously had only seen 2 of the 3). Not sure if that had to do with the stronger WiFi (which was actually good before) or the switching from cellular and back to WiFi. Do you have any messages in the networking tab of the Tesla Pros app? I assume the CAN alert is in the system tab? My system tab now has all green checks, 1 for the backup switch and 3 for the PWs.

Reactions: Docfxit
I like the subtle glow on the 3s better than the full outline glow on the PW2s. Do the 'T's breathe while the PWs are in use, like the PW2 outline does?

To me, especially if I had these installed outside, the lights really give a 'look at me' vibe that I'm sure is great advertising for Tesla, but I'd prefer an option to turn off the LEDs, as I don't want to advertise that I have free power.

The PW3s are completely open on the bottom and will allow for pests wasps and whatever to easily get up in there, especially with the heat sink grooves. Any ideas on a mesh or something to put in there?
I might be tempted to see if it is an issue before doing anything. I can imagine that normal use might generate an environment not to the liking of pests....How large are the grooves, both in the middle and toward the edges?

If it were me, I would consider using normal polyester screen mesh rather than hardware cloth to minimize any scratching. You could install it with hot glue, caulk, or double sided tape.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Vines
I might be tempted to see if it is an issue before doing anything. I can imagine that normal use might generate an environment not to the liking of pests....How large are the grooves, both in the middle and toward the edges?

If it were me, I would consider using normal polyester screen mesh rather than hardware cloth to minimize any scratching. You could install it with hot glue, caulk, or double sided tape.

All the best,

BG
Agreed, it makes sense to address actual issues if they become such. If you make modifications there is some chance any issue later could be blamed on you.

Reactions: BGbreeder