Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powerwall 3 [Speculation / Discussion etc]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two PW2s installed in October.
Very pleased.
App is terrific.
TOU plan is great.
App Automatically draws from PW at peak rate window after sun goes down.
Had two power outages and only knew because AP sent notice.
Recently received $1,000 check from Tesla!
Rating: 5 Stars for PW2

Isn’t there a 0.5 second switch over from grid tie to backup only mode? That’s enough time for devices to lose power.

That would be insanely long.
Specification sheet says: "Automatic disconnect for seamless backup"
I expect seamless means less than a cycle, not 30.

This old post says sub 55mS, or 4 cycles.
Powerwall 2 Transfer Time
And even if some appliances blipped during the switchover, one may not be home at the time it happens, and then blissfully unaware they're on backup power when they get home.

Or running self-powered, during peak period or another configuration, at the time of the outage, so already on batteries and wouldn't notice. Seems like many ways to not be aware of a grid outage when it happens.

Ah I’m just waiting for PTO.. my advisor said my pws wont even charge from grid until the final inspection, is that how it was for you?

Energy provider says waiting for Tesla.
And surprised Tesla is taking so long to process cash, 4 business days now.
Getting my final inspection from power company as I type. I hav ebeen able to do everything except export to grid up until now. I did select the charge from grid option a couple times to test out the PWs. They charge slowly from the grid.

Reactions: Koolio46
When my grid goes down and it switches over, I see a brief dimming of lights. No clocks reset (microwave and stove). My sensitive electronic equipment is on UPSs, so of course they beep also until the switchover is complete.
I think this matches our experience.
When I posted above that I only came to learn of the power outage through the app, I should’ve added that in hindsight, there was a millisecond of the lights dimming and the TV may have flickered.

But if it were not for the app, notifying us of a power outage, the dimming of the lights (outage) would’ve gone entirely unnoticed.

In hindsight, we realized the dimming was a power outage, but this was our first time we did not lose power, and it just felt well worth the investment. The power outage only lasted an hour at most. It was followed by another one two days later.

It will be interesting to see how the system works during a more extended outage but for now, I am pleased with the decision to purchase PWS over a generator, for now.

Reactions: Matt-FL
Agreed, it makes sense to address actual issues if they become such. If you make modifications there is some chance any issue later could be blamed on you.
That was my concern as well.

That would be insanely long.
Specification sheet says: "Automatic disconnect for seamless backup"
I expect seamless means less than a cycle, not 30.

This old post says sub 55mS, or 4 cycles.
Powerwall 2 Transfer Time
The grid has to be "out of compliance" with the specifications before the power transfers. Just how long, depends on what the deviation is, and the extent to which the Powerwalls are or are not providing power to the house. We have had seamless and not so seamless transfers depending on how gracefully, or not the the grid failed.

55ms/4cycles is enough to give lots of digital devices a case of the fainting spells. Sometimes prudence in the form of online UPS systems for backup to the more sensitive digital devices is warranted.

All the best,

BG

Is anybody out there who has installed a PW3 on a separate phase to their PW2? Are both PW's seen in the app as one battery, or two separate loads/power supplies?.. I have two phase power. A PW2 on one phase and nothing on the other. I am wondering how all this will work once I add a PW3 to the other phase. Cheers

Is anybody out there who has installed a PW3 on a separate phase to their PW2? Are both PW's seen in the app as one battery, or two separate loads/power supplies?.. I have two phase power. A PW2 on one phase and nothing on the other. I am wondering how all this will work once I add a PW3 to the other phase. Cheers
From the perspective of any given powerwall, it is just producing a sine curve. Only the gateway "knows" about the various phases. That is how a gateway can modulate power from a single Powerwall to net a single site three phase consumption to zero. Adding a second or third Powerwall (in any flavor) just gives the gateway more tools.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Jay Gatsby
From the perspective of any given powerwall, it is just producing a sine curve. Only the gateway "knows" about the various phases. That is how a gateway can modulate power from a single Powerwall to net a single site three phase consumption to zero. Adding a second or third Powerwall (in any flavor) just gives the gateway more tools.

All the best,

BG
Right, but I think the question was: does the app display each phase's PW SoC separately, or is it just one total number?

Here is my home electrical now the first PW (a PW2) has been installed.

I went with Tesla ...knowing the PW3 "Is coming"...

I have installed a PW2 out the back in the garage on Phase 1. Connecting it to my 18 month old Solar instal (on the garage roof). Planning to add more solar on the main house and 2X PW3 later on when they are available (Onto Phase 2 on the main house)

Here is the wiring:

Smart Meter>Main Board>..... 200 meters > SubBoard<>Gateway2<>PW2<>Solar Inverter (Ist phase)
Main Board >......20 meters>SubBoard (NO gateway. No PW. No solar) Yet...2nd Phase

I don't have a Tesla Neurio wifi meter installed on the main board (at the moment)... but happy to add it..
There is a great wifi mesh network throughout both dwellings.. rock solid

Just don't want to waste money/ redo wiring later on/stuff things up..

In 12-18 months when available I want to add 2x PW3 with another 8-10KW panels wired straight in connected to the main board (Phase2)

What would you advise?

Ok... so thanks so much for the crucial info.... I'm going to have to add a ?second? gateway at the main board (when I add the Powerwall3s on the other phase) in the main house ....right???

So in 12 months what do I do?
Scrap the gateway out the back? Move a Neurio out there?....My understanding is the gateway out back in the garage is also needed for backup mode??
You guys are an awesome resource...
Really appreciative :)

Ok... so thanks so much for the crucial info.... I'm going to have to add a ?second? gateway at the main board (when I add the Powerwall3s on the other phase) in the main house ....right???

So in 12 months what do I do?
Scrap the gateway out the back? Move a Neurio out there?....My understanding is the gateway out back in the garage is also needed for backup mode??
You guys are an awesome resource...
Really appreciative :)
Happy to join along, just realize I'm not an electrician nor in Australia.
Here is my home electrical now the first PW (a PW2) has been installed.

I went with Tesla ...knowing the PW3 "Is coming"...

I have installed a PW2 out the back in the garage on Phase 1. Connecting it to my 18 month old Solar instal (on the garage roof). Planning to add more solar on the main house and 2X PW3 later on when they are available (Onto Phase 2 on the main house)

Here is the wiring:

Smart Meter>Main Board>..... 200 meters > SubBoard<>Gateway2<>PW2<>Solar Inverter (Ist phase)
Main Board >......20 meters>SubBoard (NO gateway. No PW. No solar) Yet...2nd Phase

I don't have a Tesla Neurio wifi meter installed on the main board (at the moment)... but happy to add it..
There is a great wifi mesh network throughout both dwellings.. rock solid

Just don't want to waste money/ redo wiring later on/stuff things up..

In 12-18 months when available I want to add 2x PW3 with another 8-10KW panels wired straight in connected to the main board (Phase2)

What would you advise?
Is it possible to move the garage PW and Gateway to the the main board location? Gateway and PW can be 30m apart.
Otherwise it seems you'll need a second Gateway for the phase feeding the house.
As to the monitoring on such a physically separated system... Yeah, it seems like you can put a Neurio at the main board. However, I'm not sure how well that integrates with two Gateways.

Happy to join along, just realize I'm not an electrician nor in Australia.

Is it possible to move the garage PW and Gateway to the the main board location? Gateway and PW can be 30m apart.
Otherwise it seems you'll need a second Gateway for the phase feeding the house.
As to the monitoring on such a physically separated system... Yeah, it seems like you can put a Neurio at the main board. However, I'm not sure how well that integrates with two Gateways.
No worries... thanks for the really awesome help...
It's not possible to move the current set up. In any case the sub board is like 100m ...
It's great to know I can do two gateways though - very helpful info in the planning.
I'm nearly there...
Can someone confirm the Tesla Gateway 2 works with the PW3?
If that is a fact, Why couldn't I just wire in a second gateway now at the main board (ready for the PW3 on that phase)... use it's monitoring/clamps now on the main board (to assist in the operation of my PW2), then simply add the PW3 when it arrives?
Assuming that is two gateways are "seen as one" in the app?
That way I would never need a neurio...
Cheers

No worries... thanks for the really awesome help...
It's not possible to move the current set up. In any case the sub board is like 100m ...
It's great to know I can do two gateways though - very helpful info in the planning.
I'm nearly there...
Can someone confirm the Tesla Gateway 2 works with the PW3?
If that is a fact, Why couldn't I just wire in a second gateway now at the main board (ready for the PW3 on that phase)... use it's monitoring/clamps now on the main board (to assist in the operation of my PW2), then simply add the PW3 when it arrives?
Assuming that is two gateways are "seen as one" in the app?
That way I would never need a neurio...
Cheers
I was saying you would need two Gateways, not that they play well with each other. Although, I do recall mutilple Gateway systems in the US on houses with >200A service, but I'm not sure how cross linked they were.

Yeah, potentially, 2nd Gateway at main board with load clamps on both phases of the grid feed. I don't think it could control the garage PW though for zeroing power usage since it would only be directly connected to the house PWs.

Technically, the garage PW (if not integrated solar) and Gateway would work if placed atctte main board instead, that's why I asked. If there were space (and no unbacked loads at the garage) the site could operate off one Gateway with a PW or two on each phase (maybe).

@Vines and @wwhitney have real US experience

All good @mongo - you've been so helpful.!
Fact check.
PW3 needs a Gateway 2
A site can have 2 Gateways
Two gateways make all the PW's on a site "seen as one" in the app?... (still clarifying that fact)... "crosslinked" by software? (I assume)
Can you stack PW3's one on top of the other?
I think I'll get two PW3. Add those and 10KW panels on phase 2
I can wait (and put up with the inaccurate monitoring of the house) a while on the PW2...until the PW3 arrive in Aus
No problem.
Cheers