Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you post to confirm the PW+ specs (max continuous current, overcurrent protection, etc.)?
This is what they installed. As far as specs, I didn’t get much info and know only what others have posted here. All the paperwork I got from Tesla was for the old pw2. The installers said this was the first pw+ they installed. I’m in Fort Worth, TX.

Attachments

• 117E617B-9253-4F77-B491-D92CB00C8B30.jpeg
    117E617B-9253-4F77-B491-D92CB00C8B30.jpeg
    609 KB · Views: 207
  • FA0214B0-D9C3-4FC1-A1F1-9074B7931A7A.jpeg
    FA0214B0-D9C3-4FC1-A1F1-9074B7931A7A.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 163
This is what they installed. As far as specs, I didn’t get much info and know only what others have posted here. All the paperwork I got from Tesla was for the old pw2. The installers said this was the first pw+ they installed. I’m in Fort Worth, TX.

Did you get a separate Gateway box? Or did they install some sort of switch alongside your main meter?

If the latter, your install might be the first Gateway-less installation we've seen.

Thanks for the photos. Can you show a closeup of the adapter ring, perhaps from the side so you don't need to black out the meter face? If there is any label on the ring, that would be interesting to see.

I see that there is a manual disconnect switch on the conduit to the meter adapter. That implies it is a current-carrying connection, not just a control connection for a shutoff relay in the adapter ring. That's different from Tesla's marketing photo of the PW+ that showed a small conduit to the adapter ring and a separate conduit going to the main panel. Your photo of the PW+ shows two conduits; does one of them go to your main panel?

Here is where that pipe connects to. No gateway. Looks like the meter connects to the switch and then goes through the wall to the pw. The top pipe is the solar panels.

They added breaker to the main panel and they said that was the battery breaker.

Attachments

• A1C248BF-FF83-47B3-B96D-68E810C826E6.jpeg
    A1C248BF-FF83-47B3-B96D-68E810C826E6.jpeg
    931.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
They added breaker to the main panel and they said that was the battery breaker.
Given that, the meter adapter wiring may still be control only for a relay, rather than power; the disconnect would just be used as a convenient wiring compartment. I.e. the wiring would be:

Meter - Control Wiring Straight Through Disconnect - PW+ - Power Wiring Through Disconnect Terminals - Main Panel

If there's a requirement to have an ESS disconnect outside by the meter, that would explain this choice.

Of course, this is somewhere between speculation and an educated guess.

Cheers, Wayne

• Helpful
Given that, the meter adapter wiring may still be control only for a relay, rather than power; the disconnect would just be used as a convenient wiring compartment. I.e. the wiring would be:

Meter - Control Wiring Straight Through Disconnect - PW+ - Power Wiring Through Disconnect Terminals - Main Panel
Good hypothesis, but I don't see a conduit from the disconnect to the main panel. I presume the disconnect is new for this installation since there would not have been a need for it without local generation.

The photo inside the disconnect box also answers the other question I wondered: how would an emergency OFF button control a mechanical disconnect. Answer: it doesn't, that switch goes back to the PW+.

And it's interesting that the meter adapter is a Tesla product, so I guess no electrical equipment manufacturer came up with this idea before.

• Informative