Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like there is a new revision of Powerwall I haven't seen in this thread.

302170-5-B is what I saw previously. I got 302170-10-B installed last month.

Either way, seems like Elon's original assertion that existing Powerwalls would get a power capacity upgrade never came true.

Mine are still installed on 30A breakers.
View attachment 778777
Unsure what you were expecting. Nameplate rating is over the operating temperature range. Elon Tweeted about a power boost in a reduced temperature band around 30C. No reason for them to change the placard and open up liability in case they need to dial it back.
Elon referring to reserve capacity:
Powerwall 2 peak & steady power capability is better than advertised. Now that we have lots of operational data, Tesla can unlock higher capabilities for free via software update next month. Depending on production date, power increase power may be >50% at 30C ambient temp.
Elon talking the HW limits:
Newest units can probably do as much as 10kW continuous & double that in peak power at 30C ambient temp. In house power vernacular, this translates to ~80LRA (soft start of 3.5 ton HVAC). Two Powerwalls would double this, three would triple, etc.
A 30 Amp breaker trip will allow 2x current (14.4kW) for 10 seconds. It will also allow 10kW for 30 seconds. The surge is to allow AC compressors to start, not to run high continuous load appliances. For reference, check the LRA Amp vs circuit breaker size on an air conditioner.

SmartSelect_20220309-145338_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

• Love
Reactions: petit_bateau
Seems like there is a new revision of Powerwall I haven't seen in this thread.

302170-5-B is what I saw previously. I got 302170-10-B installed last month.

Either way, seems like Elon's original assertion that existing Powerwalls would get a power capacity upgrade never came true.

Mine are still installed on 30A breakers.
View attachment 778777
The Powerwalls did get a power increase for surges, and now can start larger AC units. Steady-state output remained unchanged, as I predicted.

Do you sense a pattern?
Ha, yes, for a while now. Still love the eventual products that come out of Tesla, but yeeeeesh.
Unsure what you were expecting. Nameplate rating is over the operating temperature range. Elon Tweeted about a power boost in a reduced temperature band around 30C. No reason for them to change the placard and open up liability in case they need to dial it back.
Elon referring to reserve capacity:

Elon talking the HW limits:

A 30 Amp breaker trip will allow 2x current (14.4kW) for 10 seconds. It will also allow 10kW for 30 seconds. The surge is to allow AC compressors to start, not to run high continuous load appliances. For reference, check the LRA Amp vs circuit breaker size on an air conditioner.

View attachment 778818

I mean, on one hand I was expecting steady state power power to be increased, as Elon alluded to in his tweet. On the other hand, I've gotten used to Tesla's bait and switches over the years.

Ha, yes, for a while now. Still love the eventual products that come out of Tesla, but yeeeeesh.

I mean, on one hand I was expecting steady state power power to be increased, as Elon alluded to in his tweet. On the other hand, I've gotten used to Tesla's bait and switches over the years.
I think this comes down to an engineering problem, that when an engineer speaks technically other people sometimes hear the most optimistic version of that statement, instead of the most restrictive or literal. I will grant that Elon comes across misleading and that perhaps that is intentional to leave this confusion in his communication.

Before the software update, the Powerwalls could start something about 60 LRA. Now after the update they can start about 88LRA. This is the 50% increase that was given.

When he tweets the capabilities are there, he means that means just that. When he says it MAY increase it means just that.